Echostar 11

If E-7 died out of the blue without any given notice... Wonder what charlie would really do? Loosing everything on 119 would be bad bad bad bad bad.... Those folks in India would not know what hit them (the thousands of calls)

I would make a very educated guess it will go to 129 and be used to spot beam MPEG4 HD Local channels.

Worse case scenario, they loose a satellite at 110 or 119, they would then use Echostar 11 to replace it and they would go back to using a non-spot beam satellite at 129.

At this point the only thing they have to loose is HD local channels, which they already got the SD version on 110 or 119.

Lets face it, there is a very small number of customers out there who have HD receivers, and and even smaller number of customers who get their locals in HD.

Unfortunatly this is going to be an ongoing issue for years to come because with the ever improving technology its going to be harder and harder to get an equal replacement because they are relying on yesterdays technology to back up todays technology.

What the satellite companies really need to do is launch 2 identical satellites at the same time. For example an Echostar 11 Satellite and an Echostar 11R Satellite that would be an in orbit backup.

Its not so much being able to insure the satellites, but the issue is if there is a problem it takes over a year to get a replacement satellite. Its not like replacing a car or rebuilding a home.

The other thing you got to consider is if DISH lost a spot beam satellite at 119 or 110 they could still provide all basic services including local channels to about 20 major cities.

The little markets they could put up using capacity at 61.5 and 148 along with several FSS Satellites.

What would be really intresting is if DISH or DIRECTV already has a blanket waver already signed with all the local channels that they currently re-broadcast so they could broadcast distant networks for several months in the case of a major satellite failure!

I could hardly see how the local network would care if they are still getting paid every month.

If they launched 2 identical sats, any design flaw would then be in both sats- not good. Not much of a backup.

I doubt the backup sat would have a much longer life than the primary, even with little or no use. Plus, the added costs- don't see it happening. More likely, greatly improved sats will replace the old, which in turn will be de-orbited.

navychop said:
If they launched 2 identical sats, any design flaw would then be in both sats- not good. Not much of a backup.

I doubt the backup sat would have a much longer life than the primary, even with little or no use. Plus, the added costs- don't see it happening. More likely, greatly improved sats will replace the old, which in turn will be de-orbited.

Two identical satellites could be built with one scheduled to launch a couple of months before the other. Most design flaws if any would be discovered during the checkout of the first satellite launched and the second one could be modified as appropriate although this would result in launch delays for the second. The ability to have steerable antennas provides a great deal more flexibility for satellite orbit location especially for spotbeam satellites so if the first satellite checks out okay, then the second could be launched to another orbital location. Building two identical satellites would provide significant cost savings on their construction.

As a side note, geostationary satellites are typically not de-orbited at the end of their useful life because their orbit is at approximately 22,000 miles up. Instead they are normally sent out to a higher orbit where their orbital decay is extremely slow.

I hope they replace the one at 129 with something more powerful soon. Even cloud cover will cause signal loss for me. :(

As mentioned before, E11 will not go to 129,119, 61 or 148. You do the math... ;0 While the below isn't the reason for my saying the above, notably 129 is due to get Ciel-2. We should all know this by now! ;0 119 is very healthy, 148 is not a critical slot these days and will only get hand me down's and 61.5 would be a prime candidate for getting a hand me down/leased AMC bird to replace E3 soon which is on its last legs currently. The critical spots of 110 and 119 come first when it comes to replacements with new hardware.

-B

Isn't Rainbow 1 still at 61.5. Why would they need anything else there?

Just flipped through the 61.5 transponder chart. I'm surprised they are not running more HD local markets with Rainbow's spot beams.

148 is wasted space. They should get a spot beam over there and use it for more local markets.

I also wouldn't be heartbroken if they give up on all but the largest local HD markets and add another OTA tuner to the HD PVR.

It seems that Rainbow 1 cannot do Tps 2-22 even.

Rainbow 1 is more or less locked in to providing national HD and Internationals.

As to 148, they have not come close to using what is there. A Spotbeam sat would be a waste.

JohnH said:
It seems that Rainbow 1 cannot do Tps 2-22 even.

Rainbow 1 is more or less locked in to providing national HD and Internationals.

As to 148, they have not come close to using what is there. A Spotbeam sat would be a waste.

A good metaphor for putting a spotbeam bird at 148 would be like shooting a rabbit with a Howitzer

If E11 has steerable spot beams it would make sense to put it at 129 until the Ciel satellite is in place and functional. After that move it to 119/110 as a spare.

Anyone know if E* plans to use the Ka-band space they have (had?) at 83 and 121 west?

scooby2 said:
Anyone know if E* plans to use the Ka-band space they have (had?) at 83 and 121 west?

It looks like they are planning to use Ka-band at 121°W. Per their recent FCC request:

"EchoStar Satellite Operating Corporation (EchoStar) has filed a modification application to operate its EchoStar 9 Satellite on the Ka-band frequencies 18.3-18.5 GHz, 18.6-18.8 GHz, 28.4-28.6 GHz, and 29.3-29.5 GHz at the 121º W.L. orbital location. Although the EchoStar 9 Satellite is already located at the 121º W.L. orbital location, EchoStar is authorized to launch a new Ku-band/Ka-band satellite into this location, with a launch milestone in 2009. EchoStar claims that authorizing the EchoStar 9 to use the specified portion of the Ka-band now will permit it to use these frequencies earlier, rather than leave them unused."

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-267679A1.pdf

JohnH said:

I was just thinking that it makes sense to use the wings for HD Locals (since they can't cover the country).

Sure they could use what they have, but would quickly run out of space without spots.

Just a thought. If 110 or 119 were to give out, they could move the minor locals to the old 105 and 121 slots. I've been through a few old superdish markets in Florida lately, and there seems to still be quite a few more superdish's than 500's. The people with these superdishes wouldn't even notice the change.

It looks like they are planning to use Ka-band at 121°W. Per their recent FCC request:

"EchoStar Satellite Operating Corporation (EchoStar) has filed a modification application to operate its EchoStar 9 Satellite on the Ka-band frequencies 18.3-18.5 GHz, 18.6-18.8 GHz, 28.4-28.6 GHz, and 29.3-29.5 GHz at the 121º W.L. orbital location. Although the EchoStar 9 Satellite is already located at the 121º W.L. orbital location, EchoStar is authorized to launch a new Ku-band/Ka-band satellite into this location, with a launch milestone in 2009. EchoStar claims that authorizing the EchoStar 9 to use the specified portion of the Ka-band now will permit it to use these frequencies earlier, rather than leave them unused."
Any insite as to what they will put on E*9?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts