Echostar 12 (Rainbow) Solar Panal Failure

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Looks like things are getting dicey at 61.5W

Extracted from todays Echostar SEC filing.

"EchoStar XII. EchoStar XII was designed to operate 13 DBS transponders at 270 watts per channel when providing service to the entire continental United States (“CONUS”), or 22 spot beams in a combination of 135 and 65 watts per channel. We currently operate the satellite in spot beam/CONUS hybrid mode. EchoStar XII has a total of 24 solar array circuits, approximately 22 of which are required to assure full power for the 12-year design life of the satellite. Prior to 2009, eight solar array circuits on EchoStar XII experienced anomalous behavior resulting in both temporary and permanent solar array circuit failures. During March 2009, EchoStar XII experienced an additional solar array circuit failure. Although the design life of the satellite has not been affected, these circuit failures have resulted in a reduction in power to the satellite that will preclude us from using the full complement of transponders on EchoStar XII for the 12-year design life of the satellite. "​

Looks like things are getting dicey at 61.5W

Extracted from todays Echostar SEC filing.

"EchoStar XII. EchoStar XII was designed to operate 13 DBS transponders at 270 watts per channel when providing service to the entire continental United States (“CONUS”), or 22 spot beams in a combination of 135 and 65 watts per channel. We currently operate the satellite in spot beam/CONUS hybrid mode. EchoStar XII has a total of 24 solar array circuits, approximately 22 of which are required to assure full power for the 12-year design life of the satellite. Prior to 2009, eight solar array circuits on EchoStar XII experienced anomalous behavior resulting in both temporary and permanent solar array circuit failures. During March 2009, EchoStar XII experienced an additional solar array circuit failure. Although the design life of the satellite has not been affected, these circuit failures have resulted in a reduction in power to the satellite that will preclude us from using the full complement of transponders on EchoStar XII for the 12-year design life of the satellite. "​

Whoever built that one did a poor job.

Certainly the failures on E-12 are a concern but I would think that E-6 will be moved to 61.5 W once Nimiq 5 is launched this September and operationally a month or so afterwards. This should reduce the power load on E-12 at least for TPS 23 and 24. In addition, E-15 is scheduled to be launched to 61.5 W slot by late 2010 or early 2011. It should be both a CONUS and spotbeam satellite to help out E-12 and relieve E-6 for use elsewhere.

Solar arrays are routinely lost on satellites. It seems every satellite has had some failures with solar arrays. I wonder if they are just big targets for micro meteors?

They need the capacity for LiL to meet the 2012 deadline for all the channels in HD.

Solar arrays are routinely lost on satellites. It seems every satellite has had some failures with solar arrays. I wonder if they are just big targets for micro meteors?

They need the capacity for LiL to meet the 2012 deadline for all the channels in HD.

Well by the end of 2012 Dish should E-14 at 119 W, E-15 at 61.5 W and QuetzSat-1 at 77 W launched all with large spotbeam capacity.

Well by the end of 2012 Dish should E-14 at 119 W, E-15 at 61.5 W and QuetzSat-1 at 77 W launched all with large spotbeam capacity.

But if everywhere they have HD LiL now they have to have the CW, PBS (multiple in many DMAs), My Network TV, independents, and maybe even digital sub channels, I'm not sure it will be enough.

I wonder if that's affecting the Austin HD locals. I was seeing tons of macroblocking and other anomalys on the Sat versions.

I am losing my signal alot tonight on many different channels at 61.5!! This sucks esp. since I just got it installed a few weeks ago from the 129 location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)