Help pointing a 1000.2 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coolwax

Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
CA
Hey guys, I'm trying to point a 1000.2 for the first time. This is on a 722. I haven't activated it yet, do I need to activate before it lets me see the signal on the setup screen?
Dishpointer is telling me:
Elevation: 46.7°
Dish Skew [?]: 86.3°
Azimuth I'm assuming is just turning right and left till you get it right?

I did a switch check w/ Menu-6-1-1 and it says DPP1k.2 but it gives an error with the input. So I looked at the details and it said connection good but no signal. So I've tried moving the dish all over (right and left, did not mess with skew or elevation per dish pointer) but still get nothing.
Looking at the summary page it shows the ports and then Conn and an X on Trans all the way across.

What am I doing wrong here?
frown.gif

You need a sat meter that you can buy for 20.00 bucks . You also need the manual that comes with the dish to do a proper install. You can get a sat meter at the The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25 . It is almost impossible to really aim and lock in on a good sat signal using just the tv and the sat meter screen. Oh and run a check switch to make the receiver see the sats once you lock in on a good signal.

I usually use a Channelmaster powered by the receiver to point a 1000.2 on port 1 of the LNB, not too expensive and do the trick to get you atleast in the ballpark of a signal, then you can have someone at the receiver call out signal strengths as you tweek, hope this helped.

So when I'm on the initial screen asking for the zip code and dish, what do I put in there, SuperDish? And should I change any of the other values?

thanks

It makes no difference what you set the dish to unless you are trying to peak a dish 500 or dish 300 . Run a check switch and see what you come up with in your switch matrix . It should be 119/110/129.

Don't put anything in the zip code or super dish. Those are just to get pointing angles and they are only for dish 500's and 300's. You're getting your angles from dishpointer.

Ok I bought a dish signal meter, I followed their directions, did 5, then got 10. Adjusted the knob on the meter so i got 5 again, then fine tuned the dish and got 8.5. I'm still seeing nothign on my tv screen for signal. Any thoughts? Does my receiver need to be activated before it sees anything? Haven't taken the time to call yet...

You shouldn't have to activate the receiver to see satellite signals. You might have to cover two of the lnb's with foil so you're sure you're getting the right satellite on the right lnb.

You shouldn't have to activate the receiver to see satellite signals. You might have to cover two of the lnb's with foil so you're sure you're getting the right satellite on the right lnb.

Ok just did that and still 0 signal strength on my tv =\ I covered the two outer ones so the middle should be 119 right? I got that to 10 on the meter and still zero on my tv

You must be on the wrong satellite. When you're aiming the azimuth don't point the face of the dish towards the satellite. Aim it in a line parallel to the two angle elevation adjustment brackets on back of the dish.

You must be on the wrong satellite. When you're aiming the azimuth don't point the face of the dish towards the satellite. Aim it in a line parallel to the two angle elevation adjustment brackets on back of the dish.

whoa you lost me there...also, I'm looking at one of my neighbors and I swear i've got it at least in the same general direction as theirs...shouldn't I at least see something?

When you aim a dish you get the elevation, skew, and azimuth angles for your current zip code. You set the elevation and skew angles on the dish mount. Then you make sure the mast you are using is plumb and rotate the dish to the azimuth angle specified, using a compass or clinometer. The problem is that the dish skew causes the dish face to be slightly misaligned from the actual line of sight to the satellite. It's better to use the angle brackets on back of the dish as a reference for the azimuth angle.

So when I'm on the initial screen asking for the zip code and dish, what do I put in there, SuperDish? And should I change any of the other values?
You MUST ignore this screen. It is not meant for those with Dish 1000 setups.

The information you need comes from dishpointer.com. Close isn't good enough when the target that you're trying to hit is several thousand miles away.

Self-installing is overrated.

When you aim a dish you get the elevation, skew, and azimuth angles for your current zip code. You set the elevation and skew angles on the dish mount. Then you make sure the mast you are using is plumb and rotate the dish to the azimuth angle specified, using a compass or clinometer. The problem is that the dish skew causes the dish face to be slightly misaligned from the actual line of sight to the satellite. It's better to use the angle brackets on back of the dish as a reference for the azimuth angle.

I guess I'm still not getting it... angle brackets? I've tried everything I can think of. I've got the settings from dishpointer set. I've tried turning the dish from right to left a LOT. I've used my signal meter and it shows 10. But still nothing shows up on the TV screen for signal strength.

I've used my signal meter and it shows 10. But still nothing shows up on the TV screen for signal strength.
You have to keep turning down the sensitivity on the signal meter until it won't go all the way to ten. Once you've got the dish peaked that way, you need to remove the meter and start in using the receiver's meter.

Be aware that a simple hand-held meter won't tell you which satellite you're pointing at, so don't button everything up until you've confirmed you have the correct slot.

you WONT get a signal on the signal screen until your checkswitch reads that you have sats instead of x's.
it very well could be an aiming issue, but is it possible your receiver is hooked up wrong? the dish can be aimed perfectly, but if there is a connection problem, the receiver will never see the sats.
if the receiver has continuity all the way to the dish, it will be sending voltage to the connector on the lnb. you can test this with a voltmeter, or by shorting out the center conductor and the outer case of the connector. it will give a small spark if the receiver is sending voltage. or you can use your tounge :)
if its just an aiming issue, you must run a checkswitch after every time you aim the dish untill the switch matrix gives you 119,110, and 129.
furthermore, you can't activate this receiver until it DOES see the correct sats.
your signal meter may be giving you a lock, but this does not in any case mean you are pointed at the right sattelite, there are LOTS of sats up there. and as bross said, if you're mast is not perfectly plum and level, you'll be aiming away all day with no luck.

EDIT: if your switch matrix recognized the 1k2, then there probably is continuity from receiver to lnb, but it's still worth tracing the line. no splitters!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)