Echostar 14 119W Spotbeams

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
These are the 50 dBW contour isobars for Echostar 14 119W spotbeams (Alaska, the land of large antennas excepted).

Fifty one (51) spotbeams in total.

I included the Conus thumbnail( posted earlier) and the complete 35 dBw and above contours thumbnail so you all can have some idea of the huge amount of data that is available for any given area.

The spotbeams are divided into two groups, A and B.

Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico each have two (2) nearly identical spotbeams and several other areas have overlaping beams that are very similar in shape ( South Texas and South Florida in particular).

Thanks to Rocatman for the heads up on the FCC license.

Attachments

• Echostar 14 119W Conus.jpg
    Echostar 14 119W Conus.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,800
  • Echostar 14 119W Alaska Hawaii.jpg
    Echostar 14 119W Alaska Hawaii.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • Echostar 14 119W 50 dBw Isobar  A SpotBeams.jpg
    Echostar 14 119W 50 dBw Isobar A SpotBeams.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Echostar 14 119W 50 dBw Isobar  B SpotBeams.jpg
    Echostar 14 119W 50 dBw Isobar B SpotBeams.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Echostar 14 119W  35 dBw Spotbem Isobars.jpg
    Echostar 14 119W 35 dBw Spotbem Isobars.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,641
These are the 50 dBW contour isobars for Echostar 14 119W spotbeams (Alaska, the land of large antennas excepted).

Fifty one (51) spotbeams in total.

I included the Conus thumbnail( posted earlier) and the complete 35 dBw and above contours thumbnail so you all can have some idea of the huge amount of data that is available for any given area.

The spotbeams are divided into two groups, A and B.

Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico each have two (2) nearly identical spotbeams and several other areas have overlaping beams that are very similar in shape ( South Texas and South Florida in particular).

Thanks to Rocatman for the heads up on the FCC license.

Thanks for the spotbeam maps. I realize that it took a great deal of work to generate these maps. Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way to present what TPs are useable for each spotbeam. Right now E-7 only uses 5 TPs for spotbeams so I would expect Dish to have the capability to use even more especially when Dish starts converting Western Arc national programming to MPEG-4 and fewer CONUS TPs will be needed.

I believe quite a number of Dish spotbeam sats have had a beam for Cuba.

Nothing like being prepared for The Day. Of course, then there will have to be people with enough money, as well. Tourist hotels, maybe?

Or, all Granma, all the time?

Thanks for the spotbeam maps. I realize that it took a great deal of work to generate these maps. Thank you. I was wondering if there is a way to present what TPs are useable for each spotbeam. Right now E-7 only uses 5 TPs for spotbeams so I would expect Dish to have the capability to use even more especially when Dish starts converting Western Arc national programming to MPEG-4 and fewer CONUS TPs will be needed.

Yes, the info needed to link the beams to transponders is available in the license. That is work that Digiblur handles.

I would hesitate to ever say "fewer" CONUS TPs will be needed. More channels are going HD all the time, and Dish needs space for them. Plus, Dish does need some improvement of the quality side. I hope, with smart application of spots, they will need no more spot TPs than they already use.

Check The Uplink Center stickies. I'll have one up for Ciel-2 and Echostar 7. I just finished mapping and linking all the data into TheList for Echostar 12. Echostar 14 is next on the list.

I would hesitate to ever say "fewer" CONUS TPs will be needed. More channels are going HD all the time, and Dish needs space for them. Plus, Dish does need some improvement of the quality side. I hope, with smart application of spots, they will need no more spot TPs than they already use.
This is a technical question for anybody that knows. Why the limit of 32 TP's per satellite slot/license? Is this just a FCC limit or a technical limitation?

This is a technical question for anybody that knows. Why the limit of 32 TP's per satellite slot/license? Is this just a FCC limit or a technical limitation?

I can't say for sure, but I believe it was a standard established by the ITU (which decide which countries get what slots) that has been sort of grandfathered in. The DBS Ku band is 500Mhz of bandwidth, divided among those 32 TPs. You can't have more because that would exceed the 500Mhz block, unless you divided into smaller chucks.

When DirecTV got to set its 2 Ka bands (Ka high and Ka low), each band had the same bandwidth block (500Mhz). But they chopped them into larger blocks to get more bandwidth (less "guard" frequencies between TPs). I believe they have 24 TPs instead of 32.

I even believe that the Ka license at 101, used for the backhaul of some LiL to their uplink centers, is split into all of 2 massive transponders.

RSN's possibly in mind?

If you ask me, RSNs on spot would be a brilliant move. Heah, it would cost them MLB:EI (which they already got rid of), NBA:LP, and NHL:CI. But DirecTV already has the market for sports packages. Dish could insted advertize that they have YOUR RSN in 24 hour HD. That would probably satisfy 90%+ of potential customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)