Echostar 14 update

Anyone have the current longitude?

139.5W using GPS 2.4 (recommended by Celestrak).

Took me a while to find a new source. satellite-calculations is normally super, but has a date error (off one year) on the Epoch that makes his location calculatons wildly inaccurate. He normally patches it each year but has not this year.

Attachments

• Echostar 14 3-27.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 311
Last edited:
How many HD channels can a spotbeam carry if mpeg4 encoding is used?

It varies. Essentially a spot beam antenna points at a small section of earth. But, the spot beam antenna can have multiple transponders transmitting using that antenna. In each Transponder frequency Dish has been putting up 7 (or even 8) channels.

So, it depends how many transponders can be used with a particular spot beam antenna as to how many channels can be available in a given area.

The way satellites have been designed in the past is that a set of frequencies are reserved for spot beams. Then they are used over and over again in different antenna. Adjacent spots need different frequencies or they interfere with each other. So, one may use 1 & 3, and the adjacent one 2 &4.

They are limited by power constraints on the satellite. So, even if more transponder frequencies are available for a particular spot beam, they may decide to use the power somewhere else.

Not to mention other issues like uplink site capacity issues (like E12 they are double uplinking at sites to save on having to build uplinks but this limits the number of TPs they can use).

It varies. Essentially a spot beam antenna points at a small section of earth. But, the spot beam antenna can have multiple transponders transmitting using that antenna. In each Transponder frequency Dish has been putting up 7 (or even 8) channels.

So, it depends how many transponders can be used with a particular spot beam antenna as to how many channels can be available in a given area.

The way satellites have been designed in the past is that a set of frequencies are reserved for spot beams. Then they are used over and over again in different antenna. Adjacent spots need different frequencies or they interfere with each other. So, one may use 1 & 3, and the adjacent one 2 &4.

They are limited by power constraints on the satellite. So, even if more transponder frequencies are available for a particular spot beam, they may decide to use the power somewhere else.

Not to mention other issues like uplink site capacity issues (like E12 they are double uplinking at sites to save on having to build uplinks but this limits the number of TPs they can use).

Thanks. I was asking about Echostar XIV though, based on all the info we know about the satellite.

Thanks. I was asking about Echostar XIV though, based on all the info we know about the satellite.

That holds for E14. Until we see what Dish actually decides to do, we only know what it might do for any particular spot beam based on FCC filings. We do not know how Dish is going to budget the uplinks, power, etc.

How many HD channels can a spotbeam carry if mpeg4 encoding is used?

The particular programming makes a big difference, too. The "Amber Waves of Grain, Blowing in the Wind" channel will take up more bandwidth than the "Real Time Display of Fruit Rotting in a Bowl" channel. IOW, sports, with lots of action, will take up more bandwidth than say, your average sitcom or comedian-on-stage show.

Of course, programming & bandwidth requirements vary, show to show, on the same network. But overall, some networks will generally require more than others. And how "real" their "HD" is factors in as well. You can get a pretty high quality picture on the Food Network, but even so, with little information change from frame to frame, they'll require less bandwidth than many other "HD" networks.

Time for those with TSReader to point to 138 and look for signals.

I know last time they tested a bird at 138w I don't believe the signals were lockable, you could see them on a spectrum analyzer though.

Also I'm hearing they plan on having the bird ready for transfer on May 21st.

The latest update show it about 19 km below geo (last night's space-track update). Slowly sliding into postion.

For those that like these things, Jens Satre patched the error in his tle calculator today. You can see more specific data than you ever want to know, all in a nice table form..

you need to paste the 3 line tle into the calculator. Line 1 is the satellite name and 2 and 3 are the data table.

http://www.satellite-calculations.com/

I know last time they tested a bird at 138w I don't believe the signals were lockable, you could see them on a spectrum analyzer though.

Also I'm hearing they plan on having the bird ready for transfer on May 21st.

60+ a couple of days from launch. Keeping them busy.

Just curious I have been told by a retailer that Wichita Ks will have HD on the E14 anything to that?

Charlie showed Wichita as getting HD locals ("soon") in the last Charlie Chat. Actually, he said BEFORE E14, but, as usual, he was confused. There is a great spotbeam on E14 (See HERE), so you should be in business come the end of May or so.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)