Echostar 15 launch update

As a CONUS bird, I'm not sure this will help more people get HD locals.

Doubtful on the interference question.

Haven't HD RSN plans been dumped for lack of interest? <insert tossing of raw meat smiley here>. ;)

Try asking on Dish tech

I apologize if this is a naive question, but can the 220v power supply lines coming into a house cause any signal interference if they pass closely by or in front of a dish (5-8 feet)?

Please go to Dish Network Technical (satguys of course) and ask the question. I know you are new and maybe you don't know about that forum yet. :D

TLE ~ 9 am mountain time sunday 11th.

inclination: 18.7 degrees

35835 x 5981 km

This is the published proton/breeze insertion orbit so the satellite had not begin moving with it's own propulsion system at that TLE time.

Any thoughts on when the announcement on communication, deployment of solar panels, etc will be?

From todays Loral Space news release.

PALO ALTO, Calif., Jul 12, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX News Network) -- Space Systems/Loral (SS/L) today announced that the EchoStar XV satellite, built for DISH Network L.L.C., is performing post-launch maneuvers according to plan. The satellite deployed its solar arrays late Saturday night and early Sunday morning following its successful launch on Saturday from the Baikonur Space Center in Kazakhstan aboard an ILS Proton Breeze M launch vehicle provided by International Launch Services. Later today, it will fire its main thruster in order to start maneuvering into geosynchronous orbit.

As a CONUS bird, I'm not sure this will help more people get HD locals.

Doubtful on the interference question.

Haven't HD RSN plans been dumped for lack of interest? <insert tossing of raw meat smiley here>. ;)

Hoping that the new 61.5 bird will allow them to move channels around so they can add new HD locals somewhere on the Eastern Arc.

However, I really don't know the Conus/spotbeams abilities of 72 and 77.

The way Charlie was talking on the last Charlie Chat, full-time HD RSNs are not a priority to them and won't be anytime soon.

The bird at 77 has spotbeam capabilities but they are not designed for use at 77, so this bird is in CONUS mode. The Nimiq bird at 72 is a CONUS only bird.

I'm glad Dish was able to get this bird up, I hope everything continues to go great with testing. This E15 satellite was a HUGE need! Not counting 148, the weakest link is now 77.

So I guess a future 77 bird could help fill in HD locals across much of the country. Is that the next one up?

The bird at 77 has spotbeam capabilities but they are not designed for use at 77, so this bird is in CONUS mode. The Nimiq bird at 72 is a CONUS only bird.

I'm glad Dish was able to get this bird up, I hope everything continues to go great with testing. This E15 satellite was a HUGE need! Not counting 148, the weakest link is now 77.

Does the new 61.5 offer any hope that new HD locals areas will be added or are those customers still going to be waiting for a while?

Does the new 61.5 offer any hope that new HD locals areas will be added or are those customers still going to be waiting for a while?

It is possible, but it is unknown. E12 can do more spot beam transponders. Dish could use E15 to do the CONUS on the dark TPs from E3, move the CONUS off of E12 to E15 and switch the E12 TPs to spot beam.

This will give them more capacity, but it is unknow what they will do, they may use them to add more stations in existing markets rather than add new markets. Dish has to start carrying the other full power stations in markets they carry the big 4 in HD. So, I suspect there will be more of a move to adding needed secondary stations and not new markets. New markets probably when 77 and the new 61.5 spot beam satellites go up. Dish will probably not want to risk another satellite delay/launch problem.

The simple answer is yes. Although E-15 is a CONUS only satellite, the FCC filing for it states that it will allow the E-12 satellite to devote virtually all of its power for spotbeams. Currently E-12 has the capability to use four additional TPs in spotbeam mode i.e., TPs 17, 19, 21 and 23. If Dish were to use these four TPs in spotbeam mode across the 16 active spots on E-12, they could gain 33 spotbeam TPs. At 6 HD local channels per TP, Dish could add as many as 198 channels. It should be noted that because of satellite failures and other reasons, Dish is not providing useable signals from 9 TPs at 61.5 W so using these four TPs for spotbeam use would still give Dish use of 5 TPs for CONUS programming.

Quesat 1 2011

QuetzSat-1 is currently scheduled for launch in November, 2011 to 77 W. It is expected to have a significant amount of spotbeam capability in the U.S. E-16 is also scheduled for launch during that time frame. It is also expected to have a significant amount of spotbeam capability at the 61.5 W slot to augment/replace E-12. It should be noted that E-14 and E-15 were launched less than four months apart.

Some other interesting information about E-15. First, it appears to be exactly like E-11 in that it can provide all 32 TPs at a DBS slot in double power mode or 19 TPs in triple power mode. I assume this was done to speed up the build up of E-15 since the design would require few changes but it does leave somewhat of a problem for Dish. E-12 can provide 13 TPs at 61.5 W but only 12 in spotbeam mode. So if Dish wants to use E-15 fully in triple power mode than either E-12 is going to have to pick up some CONUS slack or E-3 is going to have to provide it. Otherwise a few CONUS TPs from E-15 will have to be provided in only double power mode. Dish could also just not use a single TP at 61.5 W. We may get some clues from the downlink report during the testing of E-15.

Some other interesting information about E-15. First, it appears to be exactly like E-11 in that it can provide all 32 TPs at a DBS slot in double power mode or 19 TPs in triple power mode. I assume this was done to speed up the build up of E-15 since the design would require few changes but it does leave somewhat of a problem for Dish. E-12 can provide 13 TPs at 61.5 W but only 12 in spotbeam mode. So if Dish wants to use E-15 fully in triple power mode than either E-12 is going to have to pick up some CONUS slack or E-3 is going to have to provide it. Otherwise a few CONUS TPs from E-15 will have to be provided in only double power mode. Dish could also just not use a single TP at 61.5 W. We may get some clues from the downlink report during the testing of E-15.

I suspect they will run the 8PSK TPs at triple power and the QPSKs at double. I think there are 6 TPs running QPSK. Would be an improvement just at double power over E3 stuck in single power.

Would not seem to be much purpose in keeping QPSK. EA folks don't need it. Hybrid folks would then get the "final incentive" to move to EA.

I suspect they will run the 8PSK TPs at triple power and the QPSKs at double. I think there are 6 TPs running QPSK. Would be an improvement just at double power over E3 stuck in single power.

Yes but with triple power mode, Dish can lower the Forward Error Correction for either 8PSK or QPSK which increases the useable bandwidth for each TP.

Norad already seems to know the location of Echostar 15.

Epoch Mon Jul 12 06:45:57 EDT Code:
ECHOSTAR 151 36792U 10034A 10193.44858049 -.00000049 00000-0 10000-3 0 572 36792 009.1722 217.1167 3561364 359.9976 032.6493 01.57992987 38
Time elapsed since epoch: 10:23:11 (Calculations done at epoch unless noted)

Perigee 13671.31
Apogee 35850.97
Inclination 9.1722

Satellite period,TC 15:11:25.97

Satellite Longitude 171.097546 East (at Epoch)
Satellite Longitude 133.371416 West (at 17:09:09 EDT Monday using this TLE)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)