EchoStar 6 at 61.5 update

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Looks like EchoStar is changing their stance on only using EchoStar6 in an emergency if EchoStar3 has another failure.

EchoStar Corporation requests authority to operate its Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) Service space station, EchoStar 6, as an in-orbit spare at
the 61.65º W.L. orbital location. EchoStar seeks authority to operate the telemetry, tracking, and telecommand functions of EchoStar 6 at this
location. EchoStar also seeks authority to activate the DBS communications payload of EchoStar 6 on a non-interference basis at this location, as
needed, to supplement and maintain the regular programming currently being provided by the EchoStar 3 space station at the 61.5º W.L. orbital
location and the EchoStar 12 space station at the 61.65º W.L. orbital location.

dump E 3

Looks like EchoStar is changing their stance on only using EchoStar6 in an emergency if EchoStar3 has another failure.

EchoStar Corporation requests authority to operate its Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) Service space station, EchoStar 6, as an in-orbit spare at
the 61.65º W.L. orbital location. EchoStar seeks authority to operate the telemetry, tracking, and telecommand functions of EchoStar 6 at this
location. EchoStar also seeks authority to activate the DBS communications payload of EchoStar 6 on a non-interference basis at this location, as
needed, to supplement and maintain the regular programming currently being provided by the EchoStar 3 space station at the 61.5º W.L. orbital
location and the EchoStar 12 space station at the 61.65º W.L. orbital location.
Thought this would happen it's time to dump E 3 and run E 6 until the new bird gets there.

What kind of mealy-mouthed request is this? Is it an in-orbit spare, or rather is it to supplement? Gag.

I see them only using the TPs on E6 for programming they think they can get away with given the footprint. With the HD all moving to 72.7 for now, they could shuffle some stuff around and put the least popular programming on E6. I wonder if they could get away with the PI channels on E6?

I see them only using the TPs on E6 for programming they think they can get away with given the footprint. With the HD all moving to 72.7 for now, they could shuffle some stuff around and put the least popular programming on E6. I wonder if they could get away with the PI channels on E6?
thats 1 way to pi$$ of your customers

sd

the PI & SD channels:D

As I have suggested elsewhere Dish could put the International Programming remaining on 61.5 W on the E-6 provided TPs. The E-6 footprint is not that bad except for northern Maine, perhaps the Florida Keys and the southern tip of Texas. If E-6 can provide programming from all 5 TPs that E-3 and E-12 can not at 61.5 W, then Dish gains 5 CONUS TPs for the EA.

All they are asking for is to use E6 to fill in missing licensed transponders with the rest of E6's transponders reserved as in orbit hot spares. Sounds pretty logical to me and was what many speculated would be the plan.

They filed for this authority back on Feb 3 and shortly thereafter received approval for the move and communication links but not for transmission (permission deferred by the Bureau). Now the Bureau has finished their internal review and put the full app on public notice. This means it could receive transmission grant any day now.

What do you mean "With the HD all moving to 72.7 for now"??? Off of 61.5?

There are a boatload of HD customers that have two dish setups: 61.5 and 110/119. As Dish is not actively started swapping out such setups for either a 1000.2 or 1000.4 setup (at least not that I am aware of here in the Atlanta market), how could they move HD to 72.7?

There are a boatload of HD customers that have two dish setups: 61.5 and 110/119. As Dish is not actively started swapping out such setups for either a 1000.2 or 1000.4 setup (at least not that I am aware of here in the Atlanta market), how could they move HD to 72.7?

Many will have to transition to the "Eastern Arc." My signature has the details.

--Doug

That is the plan. But it will be a year or so before it happens, I believe.

Dish is taking their time to no doubt milk as many $95 (or at least $15 with DHPP) service calls as they can before doing free upgrades.

All of the HD will be moving off 61.5 by this time next year... in the next few weeks all the premium channels will be mirrored on 72.7.

Err- actually, per some posts here, some are getting notices to change their equipment. I think this is something to be proactive about, and get it over with before the fall, when moves may start in earnest. At some point they will stop broadcasting the same channels on both 61.5 & 72.7. Beat the rush, do it now.

Thursday my 61.5/110/119 becomes EA. Not happy about it, but that's the way it'll be.

Err- actually, per some posts here, some are getting notices to change their equipment. I think this is something to be proactive about, and get it over with before the fall, when moves may start in earnest. At some point they will stop broadcasting the same channels on both 61.5 & 72.7. Beat the rush, do it now.

Thursday my 61.5/110/119 becomes EA. Not happy about it, but that's the way it'll be.
Especially since the info Dish has on our setups may not be correct. I had a 61.5/110/119 setup when I called to change to the EA. The CSR said it was not necessary because I already had it. :confused:

After I politely reassured them I was not on EA they did finally schedule my appointment. If I waited for a notice, I would have been SOL...

Don't get me wrong, if DISH is going to get very active and start converting people over to 1000.4 EA setups, then an eventual move of HD onto 72.7 makes sense (I presumet DirecTV will eventually free up the other 16 TPs these as well.)

I'm just saying here in th metro Atlanta area, most every HD setup I see is either a 61.5 and 110/119 setup, or also see some 1000.2 westeran arc setups. I would have to say i see as many 61.5 and 110/119 setups as the 1000.2 or dish plus setups. I have seen no anecdotal evidence that a effort to switch to EA setups has begun.