EchoStar banks on satellite

Regarding rural internet. What the thers have posted is right on the money, although DWay ain't so bad - I'm using it right now. The latency is only a problem with certain applications (a few of which I use :( ). However, my DWay will be for sale before too long (installation included ;) ).

Here's why. Even though my local phone company has us on SLC96 carrier service, which only allows 26K dialup speed, they have just upgraded the substations to be DSL capable. :) Entry lavel is $30/month for 256K. that's 9-10 times the speed for a break-even cost ($15/mo 2nd phone line plus $15/mo ISP).

A fair part of the county has wireless coverage, but it's real rough given the mountainous topography and heavy forest.

Don't forget wildblue satellite internet service is also going to be starting soon... Dish would be entering a limited market with 2 competitors.

They also announced in March that ALL dvrs with Dish would get namebased recording features. NOT!! I don't believe anything they say anymore on anything. They promise and then bait and switch . You are screwed. I'd say believe it when you see it , but even then you can't believe it with Dish.

I just hope some kind of wireless, DSL, or other high speed internet service becomes available where I am at (in the country) within the next year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)