Echostar Battles Pirates On Ebay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
ECHOSTAR BATTLES PIRATES ON EBAY

Englewood, Colo. – March 16, 2006 EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network™ announced today that as the result of increased efforts to battle piracy and satellite signal theft, it filed and settled federal lawsuits against three individuals that violated DISH Network’s intellectual property rights on the internet auction website, eBay. The amounts of the cash settlements were not disclosed.

The lawsuits were filed in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado against out of state defendants. A man in the Seattle area, a man from Hallettsville, Texas and another man located in Struthers, Ohio violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C.§ 1201 (a)(1)(A), by selling piracy related items on eBay. The three individuals had advertised, took payment for and delivered piracy related equipment to agents of DISH Network’s signal integrity group.

Echostar continues to combat those individuals who try to circumvent EchoStar’s security system by manufacturing, importing, or offering to the public, any device that may be used to receive unauthorized programming from Echostar’s satellites.

About EchoStar
EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

I'd be concerned about what they concider 'piracy equipment'.

If I own a FTA receiver are they going to come knocking because it can be hacked to steal their service?

"any device that may be used to receive unauthorized programming from Echostar’s satellites" is a pretty broad statement.

Some of those which advertise on Ebay are stupid or something. I frequently scan C/Ku receivers on there for bargains and the other day I saw one that openly advertised the unit included a Videocipher II module with all the channels open.

JohnH said:
Some of those which advertise on Ebay are stupid or something. I frequently scan C/Ku receivers on there for bargains and the other day I saw one that openly advertised the unit included a Videocipher II module with all the channels open.

I’ve seen those on there too….

Shawn I don’t think we have issues to deal with :D
Dish is more than welcome to casa du Iceberg and see my dish farm and my 8 legal FTA boxes.

Widescreen said:
You can convert sudafed to methamphetamine too but that doesn't make owning sudafed illegal.

But it does make it a semi-controlled drug - at least in California where it is kept behind the counter.

I can understand dish's attempt to question accounts with multiple receivers on them, but it's too bad there procedures are angering so many of their customers.

Widescreen said:
You can convert sudafed to methamphetamine too but that doesn't make owning sudafed illegal.

Getting closer. In Oregon you will need a doctor's prescription to purchase Sudafed starting July 1.

Now if we could just outlaw the Audit Nazis. :)

NightRyder

Last edited:
Shawn95GT said:
I'd be concerned about what they concider 'piracy equipment'.

If I own a FTA receiver are they going to come knocking because it can be hacked to steal their service?

"any device that may be used to receive unauthorized programming from Echostar’s satellites" is a pretty broad statement.

Wasn't that exactly what DirecTV was doing? Sueing people just because they purchased something that MIGHT be able to receive the programming? Even though it had other legitimate uses.

I've seen many, many Ebay sellers selling FTA receivers with the dish500 included, so that pretty much gives them away for advertising piracy.

But at the same time gives Free to Air receivers a bad rep, and DN will automatically believe one is involved in hacking by purchasing on Ebay... :mad:

my 2 cents

Anybody that goes and tries to sell something like that or anything else that is illegal on eBay in a public place such as that must be stupid and deserves the punishment that they receive.

Just about Everyone who deals in the sale of Free to Air equipment in one way or another is supporting Piracy, and to be honest with you they simply don't care as long as the equipment is not leaving their store programmed.

There is only 1 person I know who sells FTA who does not support the piracy.

Now granted there is a few people on this forum who are the exception and do not program their FTA receivers. But even at the DISHStore everytime I get a customer calling for parts and has a FTA receiver its to illegally pick up DISH Network programming

KenSoren said:
But it does make it a semi-controlled drug - at least in California where it is kept behind the counter.

I can understand dish's attempt to question accounts with multiple receivers on them, but it's too bad there procedures are angering so many of their customers.

its kept behine the counter in ohio too, well at least my town i can say for shure

Heck the over the counter nazi's here treat you like a criminal.... I went to wally world a few weeks ago to get infant's tylenol cold medicine for our baby.... Well they had to have my damn drivers liscence... Had to go home get it and come back.... they enter your name into a computer system with your ss number to track how much you are buying....

Told me 'well you could be buying this to make drugs' Good LORD....

I think they musta spoke to the dish audit nazi's to get some ideas lol

But I've thought about getting a FTA box... my interest in it is to be able to pick up some of the out of area locals that are up there... Does that make me a pirate????

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts