Echostar/Direct TV Merger

I went onto CNN and their Headline News web sites and found no recent stories about a D* / E* merger. Not even after running searches and finding stories on E* going back a few years.

Given that TB* (TurdBird TV, i.e. D*) is just now being sold/transferred from News Corp to Liberty, it is highly unlikely that a merger between TB* and E* is underway.

No one expects a merger now. They know it will not be approved with Charlie or Rupert at the helm.

All analyst expect Liberty to take Directv - and after that is done and digested, go for E* as he does not have the negative baggage in at the FCC and Washington overall.

So its a 2 parter.

At that point, Charlie is hoping he has strung out the TIVO and DNS stuff long enough that he doesnt have to pay, Directv becomes the surviving entity and both are covered by Directv's agreements.

Charlie goes home rich to retire laughing all the way.

Maybe. But I've never seen anything that indicated that Malone of Liberty had an interest in E*. Now maybe once he takes over TB* he'll have grander plans. And I'm not sure Charlie would be opposed to selling off E* and starting another business.

But there's no guarantee a TB* takeover of E* would get approved. So it's a longshot at best.

No merger possible

About a 1 1/2 ago there were talks for E* to buy out D*. It was stopped when the FTC said it would then become a monopoly of the sat biz. At the time they tried to say it would just be 1 large company that would compete against cable. The only way it could maybe be done is if the 2 were under holding companies that ran different systems. So basically things as they are would have to stay the same so that there were to be 2 providers out there that had only 1 thing in common the holding company. Even then it would be hard to sell that it would benefit the public to have only 1 national sat co.

Maybe. But I've never seen anything that indicated that Malone of Liberty had an interest in E*. Now maybe once he takes over TB* he'll have grander plans. And I'm not sure Charlie would be opposed to selling off E* and starting another business.

But there's no guarantee a TB* takeover of E* would get approved. So it's a longshot at best.

Oh really?

Who owns Starz?

He's been playing both sides, D* is just more apparent.

Most of those in the know expect it to go down this way.

Why don't Charlie or Rupert launch a bunch of satellites like Iridium was going to do to bring high speed internet to everybody in the U.S. at a price that could compete against everybody else? They would also be able to offer television and telephone service on them.

Malone owns Starz. That is Liberty.

But that means nothing in terms of a D* merger with E*. Liberty has not been in pursuit of E*. Malone has been taking chunks of News Corp at every opportunity and now Murdoch is attempting to buy him out using D*. As far as I know, Liberty owns no E* stock.

Wild Blue

Why don't Charlie or Rupert launch a bunch of satellites like Iridium was going to do to bring high speed internet to everybody in the U.S. at a price that could compete against everybody else? They would also be able to offer television and telephone service on them.

Ever heard of WildBlue?

Ever heard of WildBlue?
Apples and oranges. Teledesic (NOT Iridium) would have been a worldwide answer to low-latency high-speed internet using low power non-directional antennas. A fleet of 290+ LEO satellites was needed. They launched one test bird and folded, as they learned their pockets weren't deep enough. The pockets in question included Gates, McCaw, etc. So the answer to the question of why it isn't being done is that only the US Govt could possibly afford it.

WildBlue, Hughes, Starband, et al are high-latency connections using geo-stationary satellites. Not true broadband, although the raw speeds are OK.

Malone owns Starz. That is Liberty.

But that means nothing in terms of a D* merger with E*. Liberty has not been in pursuit of E*. Malone has been taking chunks of News Corp at every opportunity and now Murdoch is attempting to buy him out using D*. As far as I know, Liberty owns no E* stock.

No one says he does. As stated, this is a 2 parter. But he has been cozying up to E* for sometime now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)