Echostar/Direct TV Merger

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Heard on Headline News this morning that talk is heating up about a possible merger between the satelite providers. Anyone else hear this?

Thoughts on how it would impact current subscribers for both? I am already paying a fotune for HD service from Dish...I would hate to think that competition would be eliminated and prices may go up even further!

I am in a rural area and do not have access to HD cable so you can see where it would be slightly scary to comtemplate! :eek:

This is a rumor that comes up alot and then dies down only to come up a bit later. While it has been brought up before it would seem highly unlikely this would happen now with the DNS settlement approaching. I dont think Charlie would play into this at all after he staked a great deal on the NPS deal working out. You never know. It will be very interesting to hear what the court rules on DNS or how Congress may help on the issue.

It was the FCC that nixed it last time. I am not sure that the FTC wasa problem last time it but DoJ and the FCC do and they were problematic.

You're right, my bad :eek: It was killed before it came before the FTC...

NightRyder

I would love to hear where you heard this.

I have a feeling you were hearing the talk about XM and Sirius which seems to be in the news about once a month, but there is nothing really going on there.

I'd say the odds of a merger after this NPS bit are far lower than they were a year ago. Bad blood, now. And the gov't isn't likely to allow it.

I agree with whoever said it earlier, even if the government were okay with it, after the DNS deal I think they is far too much bad blood for a merger. But if the settlement was very bad for E* anything is possible. Charlie's last card was awesome but it would seem he is all outta cards and the courts seem to favor D*. The only constant I can see in this whole DNS deal is the ability to be inconsistant and make no sense whatsoever.

I would love to hear where you heard this.

I have a feeling you were hearing the talk about XM and Sirius which seems to be in the news about once a month, but there is nothing really going on there.

It was on headline news this morning and they definitely said Echostar and Direct, I believe it was on the financial portion of the reporting.

I also have heard about the Sirius/XM talk. I have a bud who owns quite a bit of Sirius stock and he thinks it will happen eventually.

I also heard this on my local news (bloomberg insert), they do everyday. It said a direct and echostar merger is in the works. Or something like that, I haven't got to watch bloomberg much today to hear it again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)