Echostar files to move E6 to 61.5W

It would be a cool blast from the past if they put all national HD on 72. A single sat with all the nationals would be like back in the day. Just a cool rewind.

On March 3, 2010, the Satellite Division granted, with conditions, the request of EchoStar Corporation to operate the EchoStar 6 space station temporarily as an in-orbit spare at the 61.65° W.L. orbital location.
Accordingly, EchoStar is authorized, for a period of 60 days, commencing on February 15, 2010, to conduct Telemetry, Tracking, and Telecommand (TT&C) operations necessary to operate EchoStar 6 temporarily as an in-orbit spare at the 61.65° W.L. orbital location.

EchoStar is authorized to use the 17,305 MHz frequency for telecommand and the 12,203 and 12,204 MHz frequencies for telemetry during these operations. EchoStar is also authorized to activate the Direct Broadcast Satellite communications payload on EchoStar 6 to conduct tests and in the event of a service outage of the EchoStar 3 or EchoStar 12 space stations.

My opinion is they should be able to use the transponders which are not working on the other satellites which they are licensed for. :)

But I am not the FCC :)

I have noticed that 61.5 has NEW TRANSPONDERS 4,6,26 & 28, but they don´t seem to carry any programming. Any idea what they are planned for ?
Is Sat at 72º a reality ?

Interesting that TP 12 is not being used at all. Wondering if E-6 failures prevent it from transmiting on TP 12 since it was only doing the odd numbered TPs at 72.5 W.

What does this mean to the average guy. I just had a dish500 added so I can get HD out of the SW, will this affect any of that?

What does this mean to the average guy. I just had a dish500 added so I can get HD out of the SW, will this affect any of that?
If you are talking about the move of E6 to 61.5, it means that in the short term E* can add any TP's that have failed on E3. There are 4 TP's at 61.5 that E* could not use due to E3 TP failures. E6 was initially moved as a backup for E3. But now, it looks like E* may actually use E6 to supplement E3 and E12. So, hopefully, it means more HD programming could be offered from 61.5 through the use of the currently unused TP's.

If you are talking about the move of E6 to 61.5, it means that in the short term E* can add any TP's that have failed on E3. There are 4 TP's at 61.5 that E* could not use due to E3 TP failures. E6 was initially moved as a backup for E3. But now, it looks like E* may actually use E6 to supplement E3 and E12. So, hopefully, it means more HD programming could be offered from 61.5 through the use of the currently unused TP's.

Correct me if I am wrong but based on the list, there are 9 TPs at 61.5 W (4, 6, 12, 17, 18, 23, 26, and 28) that Dish is not using to provide programming that one can subscribe to at this time. I believe there are 5 TPs that neither E-3 or E-12 can provide signal from, TPs 4, 6, 12, 26, and 28. I am not sure about the others. I also wonder if E-6 can provide signals from TP 12 because E-6 has also had some failures that limit its capability. It will also be interesting if Dish uses E-6 to free up space on E-12 for locals by switching CONUS TPs to spotbeams.

Correct me if I am wrong but based on the list, there are 9 TPs at 61.5 W (4, 6, 12, 17, 18, 23, 26, and 28) that Dish is not using to provide programming that one can subscribe to at this time. I believe there are 5 TPs that neither E-3 or E-12 can provide signal from, TPs 4, 6, 12, 26, and 28. I am not sure about the others. I also wonder if E-6 can provide signals from TP 12 because E-6 has also had some failures that limit its capability. It will also be interesting if Dish uses E-6 to free up space on E-12 for locals by switching CONUS TPs to spotbeams.
I forgot to add the TP that recently failed on E3. So it is 5 TP's currently offline. The others were just cleared and moved to 72.7 as part of the HD migration.

I forgot to add the TP that recently failed on E3. So it is 5 TP's currently offline. The others were just cleared and moved to 72.7 as part of the HD migration.

What has been speculated is that Dish will add back the international programming to 61.5 W so that EA folks won't need to have a dish for 118 W

Sorry, this was too long to read through. Is this referring to the new HD channels? (E!, Sportman's, etc.) I didn't get the satellite that those were launched on. Can I get these HD channels now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts