Echostar III [61.5° W] & V [148° W] ?

Demetrax1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2018
Roanoke, Virginia
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I am a former DISH Network customer (who may eventually reinitiate service -- we miss it.) We used to have a DISH 500 system with America's Top 250 and a Greek Elite package. We had a DISH 500 dish on the chimney to catch 110° and 119°, and a separate DISH 300 dish over the deck to catch 61.5° for Greek programming. Before we disconnected our service a few years back, I remember receiving a notice that Greek programming would be moved from 61.5° W to the standard satellites, and having a field technician visit us to disconnect our old dish. My question is: why did Greek programming move off of 61.5° W, and what ended up happening to that satellite? Is there still DISH programming at that orbital slot, and do customers still have a secondary dish to utilize that location?

Also, what ever happened to the 148° W satellite? I understand it was somewhat of a sister satellite to 61.5 for the western half of the continental U.S.? I know someone who lives near a farm off a nearby highway that has two single-lnb dishes mounted to their fencepost (pictured), each facing 61.5 and 148, respectively. Why would they need two dishes looking at two satellites that are supposedly nearly identical?

The reason I'm asking is I recently sparked a new interest in DISH Network satellite hardware and understanding just how it all works. I have been doing research in my free time exploring the dishes, switches, and receivers, trying to learn the history of DISH Network / EchoStar, and the technological aspects behind it all. Matter of fact, I really miss our satellite service. Somehow, cutting the cord took the novelty out of TV for us. I'd like to learn enough to eventually get back into satellite TV, and I'd like to install it myself, sort of a hobby. Something about installing DIY would be a fun project, and would bring back the novelty that satellite TV once had for us when it first became popular.

Thanks,

Demetri

IMG_4172.JPG

Eastern arc is now 61.5 and 72.7 (77 is used for international programming via a wing dish)
Western arc is 110, 119, and 129

They use a single 1000.2 dish with either eastern or western arc lnbf

The current lnbf’s are DPP(Dish Pro Plus) and DPH(Dish Pro Hybrid)

The DPP lnbf is used for the Hopper 2000 Hopper With Sling and the Wally

The DPH lnbf is used with the Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo

Reactions: Demetrax1
Unless I missed something, I thought Dish Internationals are available ONLY at 118.7. However, Sling International (formerly Dish World) provides many foreign language channels/programming using a streaming device like a Roku, etc. That could be an option with or without satellite. You can subscribe to any services at Sling International stand alone today if you want, but you would need to check Sling International to see if they have the services you want.

AFAIK 77 is used primarily for services into Mexico. However, 77 may still be used for some Diah USA Local into Local, but I'm not certain.

Eastern arc is now 61.5 and 72.7 (77 is used for international programming via a wing dish)
Western arc is 110, 119, and 129

They use a single 1000.2 dish with either eastern or western arc lnbf

The current lnbf’s are DPP(Dish Pro Plus) and DPH(Dish Pro Hybrid)

The DPP lnbf is used for the Hopper 2000 Hopper With Sling and the Wally

The DPH lnbf is used with the Hopper 3 and Hopper Duo
You can use DPH for a Hopper 2000 and a Hopper/Sling and you can use DPP for a Hopper DUO

The only one that's exclusive in the Hooper family is a Hooper 3, which must use DPH

Unless I missed something, I thought Dish Internationals are available ONLY at 118.7. However, Sling International (formerly Dish World) provides many foreign language channels/programming using a streaming device like a Roku, etc. That could be an option with or without satellite. You can subscribe to any services at Sling International stand alone today if you want, but you would need to check Sling International to see if they have the services you want.

AFAIK 77 is used primarily for services into Mexico. However, 77 may still be used for some Diah USA Local into Local, but I'm not certain.

You are correct, 77W is now primarily for Dish Mexico. There are still a few locals on there, I think Cincinnati is one.

The Jacksonville, FL locals are on a 61.5 spot beam and a 77 CONUS feed.

For a DIY'er, the discontinued but easier to aim 1000.4 dish equipped with an eastern arc DPP triple LNB picks up the eastern arc 61.5, 72.7, and 77 sats, and can be used with a Hopper 2000 and Hopper w/Sling as is, and a Hopper 3 using a DPH42 switch. The 1000.4 can also be used with a western arc triple LNB of course.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I am a former DISH Network customer (who may eventually reinitiate service -- we miss it.) We used to have a DISH 500 system with America's Top 250 and a Greek Elite package. We had a DISH 500 dish on the chimney to catch 110° and 119°, and a separate DISH 300 dish over the deck to catch 61.5° for Greek programming. Before we disconnected our service a few years back, I remember receiving a notice that Greek programming would be moved from 61.5° W to the standard satellites, and having a field technician visit us to disconnect our old dish. My question is: why did Greek programming move off of 61.5° W, and what ended up happening to that satellite? Is there still DISH programming at that orbital slot, and do customers still have a secondary dish to utilize that location?

Also, what ever happened to the 148° W satellite? I understand it was somewhat of a sister satellite to 61.5 for the western half of the continental U.S.? I know someone who lives near a farm off a nearby highway that has two single-lnb dishes mounted to their fencepost (pictured), each facing 61.5 and 148, respectively. Why would they need two dishes looking at two satellites that are supposedly nearly identical?

The reason I'm asking is I recently sparked a new interest in DISH Network satellite hardware and understanding just how it all works. I have been doing research in my free time exploring the dishes, switches, and receivers, trying to learn the history of DISH Network / EchoStar, and the technological aspects behind it all. Matter of fact, I really miss our satellite service. Somehow, cutting the cord took the novelty out of TV for us. I'd like to learn enough to eventually get back into satellite TV, and I'd like to install it myself, sort of a hobby. Something about installing DIY would be a fun project, and would bring back the novelty that satellite TV once had for us when it first became popular.

Thanks,

Demetri

View attachment 130612
Tell us what has sparked your interest in DISH and we may be able to provide more accurate information about todays DISH. I'd guess it has been at least 10 years since you were current on DISH.

Thank you all for your replies.

I would say my interest in DISH has rekindled because I miss having it. We got our local channels, plus international programming through the Greek Elite package. However, I feel like America's Top 250 had way too many channels that we didn't watch. Also, we had two receivers: a VIP722K & a VIP211. I miss the layout and interface that the VIP receivers have. Like I said, we had two dishes on the house: one looking at 110° & 119°, and one looking at 61.5°. If I did get DISH again, I would most likely go with one of the standard VIP receivers as I am unfamiliar with any of the new Hoppers and Wallys. I would start with say a 722K, and maybe activate DVR in the future. I would hopefully go the pay-as-you-go route, which I read is no contract and non-binding. I could order and install the equipment myself as the wiring is all still there. The reason I would like to self-install is that it would be a learning experience. My dad originally installed ours back in the 1990s. It looks like the dishes have changed too, as I remember them being gray and now they are all black. Can you still buy and use the standard gray 500 dishes instead of the black ones that say "DISH HD"? They gray ones simply looked better on the house in my opinion.

Plus, I was just curious as to what happened to the 61.5 satellite and why they moved Greek programming off of it. Same thing with 148. What was that one for? Please see my original posting.

Thanks,

Demetri

The Greek channels are now on 118.7. Most of the international channels have been moved there, with the exception of Mexico. The 61.5 satellite is still there and working fine but there is only so much room for all the channels, including local channels, on it so the internationals were moved off of it. The 148 satellite is long gone. It died and was sent into further space. Now, to your setup, you would need to see 110, 119, and 129 to get all of the channels for Roanoke including locals. You also need 118.7 to receive the Greek channels. So your best bet is to use a 1000+ antenna with the LNB that receives all of the satellites.

You are correct, 77W is now primarily for Dish Mexico. There are still a few locals on there, I think Cincinnati is one.

77W also has essentially the full SD slate of channels,

But, 77W is unique for the US market in that the 77W satellite does not transmit a program guide more than an hour or so into the future (the full guide (including 77W channels) is transmitted at all the other locations).

Thank you all for your replies.

I would say my interest in DISH has rekindled because I miss having it. We got our local channels, plus international programming through the Greek Elite package. However, I feel like America's Top 250 had way too many channels that we didn't watch. Also, we had two receivers: a VIP722K & a VIP211. I miss the layout and interface that the VIP receivers have. Like I said, we had two dishes on the house: one looking at 110° & 119°, and one looking at 61.5°. If I did get DISH again, I would most likely go with one of the standard VIP receivers as I am unfamiliar with any of the new Hoppers and Wallys. I would start with say a 722K, and maybe activate DVR in the future. I would hopefully go the pay-as-you-go route, which I read is no contract and non-binding. I could order and install the equipment myself as the wiring is all still there. The reason I would like to self-install is that it would be a learning experience. My dad originally installed ours back in the 1990s. It looks like the dishes have changed too, as I remember them being gray and now they are all black. Can you still buy and use the standard gray 500 dishes instead of the black ones that say "DISH HD"? They gray ones simply looked better on the house in my opinion.

Plus, I was just curious as to what happened to the 61.5 satellite and why they moved Greek programming off of it. Same thing with 148. What was that one for? Please see my original posting.

Thanks,

Demetri
You're just a little too late in deciding to come back to DISH, As of 1/16/2018 DISH will no longer activate VIP receivers on new accounts.
The Wally, Hopper Duo and 3 models of the Hopper are all that is left to choose from. The dish 500 is no longer usable as the primary receive antenna, DISH 1000.2 and 1000+ are the current satellite dishes and there are still a few 1000.4 dishes left in the supply chain. With the most recent changes I don't know if DISH is still allowing self installs

Now, to your setup, you would need to see 110, 119, and 129 to get all of the channels for Roanoke including locals.

:confused: One wonders why Roanoke isn't on Eastern Arc.
Poor 148. We ain’t gonna see him no more.

Didn't Echostar III bite the dust long before whatever was out at 148?

You're just a little too late in deciding to come back to DISH, As of 1/16/2018 DISH will no longer activate VIP receivers on new accounts.
The Wally, Hopper Duo and 3 models of the Hopper are all that is left to choose from. The dish 500 is no longer usable as the primary receive antenna, DISH 1000.2 and 1000+ are the current satellite dishes and there are still a few 1000.4 dishes left in the supply chain. With the most recent changes I don't know if DISH is still allowing self installs

Interesting. How quickly technology is changing! So has DISH released an official statement on this? I am only asking because I saw a great deal on Solid Signal for a 722K at just $199.99. Shoot, even a 211K would suffice as I'm not sure I would need DVR. I would hate to have to do the new boxes, as they are totally different from what I've heard. Also, I believe Roanoke is on the western arc. It's been so long I've forgotten a lot of this stuff!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts