EchoStar loses contact with EchoStar-3 while changing orbit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ah, the good old days of Voom and DishHD from 61.5?W... Remember that HBO HD and Showtime HD were in the open at first? As long as you had a 6000 receiver (or 5000 with the HD module) you could pick them up. I didn't even have an HD set at first, but used a VGA monitor to watch "Ronin" silently (no amp in my test setup).

I hope they can regain communications and control of Echostar 3. 20 years old, past its prime. It would be a shame if it became space debris cluttering up the Clarke Belt.

Reactions: dishdude
Good Grief! That Sat has outlived its expected life by many years. What did Echo/Dish expect. But this is cheap Charlie we are talking about. Well, he had to give it a try. I can imagine the engineers telling him how it would end up, but Ergen always goes economy when possible. They certainly have a plan B, but Echo 3 was the cheapest plan. :) Well, at least, according to the quote, Echo seems committed to RETIRING the sat should they re-establish contact and control. That would be the most wise maneuver.

"A 20-year old satellite in fleet operator EchoStar’s constellation is drifting"

"In spite of the anomaly, we believe that the current EchoStar III orbit does not present a significant risk to the operating satellites in the geostationary arc."

Why don't I get that warm and fuzzy feeling when reading those two statements, the key word being "significant"? o_O

Oh well, not to worry since it's following the now drifting AMC-9 it'll be AMC-9 that'll hit something first. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)