Echostar Press Conference Recap

The point is, there should be NO fee. This should be a standard feature. It is simply an enabled USB port. They can make their money by selling branded USB hdd's, if they want. Their new ad slogan should not be "It's about Time", it should be "It's about Nickel and Dime".

I don't know...do you think the markup on a DISH branded drive would be less than a one time charge to utilize your own USB Drive?

I see it being one or the other: buy theirs or pay a fee to 'activate' a unit supplied by the owner.

New HD Channels

Sorry if this was discussed here somewhere else but I just came across this new article (released yesterday) about CNN, TBS, SciFi, Cartoon Network and more going HD later this year.

It also seems that D* will be picking up on much of this. If E* doesn't follow suit, I will not be a very happy camper. Does Dish Network have anything to say about this?

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11336

... about CNN, TBS, SciFi, Cartoon Network and more going HD later this year.

It also seems that D* will be picking up on much of this. If E* doesn't follow suit, I will not be a very happy camper. Does Dish Network have anything to say about this?

Yea DISH probably won't launch anymore HD channels ever. They will just sit back and watch as D*, cable and FIOS add channel after channel and pass them by since every other word out of Charlies mouth is not "HD" or "Leader". :rolleyes:

Err.. Some of us know already where Echo 11 is going to go! ;0 Theres only one obvious spot! Hint.. it will be next to its next eldest brother! ;0 I would prefer to see some HD go up. I will be VERY upset if charlie sits back and does nothing while others pass him in leaps and bounds. He seems to be stalling and offering us nothing in this department. Always some excuse that is easily overcome. DTV is looking pretty good right about the middle of this year I would say!

-B

E11 will give them more capacity for national HD. They will be able to move markets off of 129 and 61.5 to spots on E11 and put HD on the freed up transponders.

Yea, evidently empty promises of HD channels that don't even exist have some wanting to dive into the D* camp. There are plenty of HD channels that exist that D* doesn't even carry. D* is just trying to stop the hemmoraging from Charlie's current HD assault. I also think DISH will be offering lots of HD content via the ethernet, to counter cables HD-VOD. DISH will be tauting more HD hours for years to come.
DISH has a lot of wussy subs that flinch way too soon.
See ya later my fickle friends. :hatsoff:

Top 100,200,250

I currently have the Silver Package (top 120+HD). Is there a list of the 80 new channels I will be getting when they chaneg to the top 200 :)

The channels are already there. It's a name change to more accurately reflect the number of channels in the package.

I hate to burst your bubble temesgen but I felt the same way after visiting the Dish Network booth at Cedia. I was told the point blank by a dish rep that the RSN's in HD were their, "number one programming priority," and they would go live, "very soon." I was also told the external hard drive storage feature would be available by Christmas. Boy was I excited!! Well, here we are 5 months later and nothing has happened on either front.

Just take everything with a grain of salt.

...a large grain

I think you might have missed my point, I am tired of hearing all the complaining about Dish did this or Dish did that... the reality is DRM (digital rights management) is hurting the progression of technology for every cable, satellite, ect distributor right now. And while Dish is aggressive with the so called release dates they throw out, the DRM issues are a factor in what we are dealing with. I think Dish has an excellent receiver with the 622, Cnet seems to agree as it has the highest rating of any HD DVR in market. And if I have to choose between Dish not meeting release dates or D* complete lack of vision I will choose Dish everytime. And lets not even try to discuss cable my Mom's cable box gives her maybe 40 hours of SD record time...

I own a 622, 721 and a 301 the the progression in the hardware is amazing, the fact that Dish is upgrading the drive in the 622 to 500 gigs is very cool but to listen to some of the people on this message board its Dish's fault that a 500 gig drive was not available at a reasonable price point when they originally released the 622 or that Dish should upgrade their current 622 for free... it is just silly. Technology changes, the 622 that I have owned for over a year now provided me with a better technology to view satellite contect for the past year and that has value. Value that seems to quickly forgotten by some on this message board, I just feel at times at times the complaining is childish and myoptic, that is all.

Perhaps Dish needs to phrase their release dates more clearly "if the DRM/IP issues are worked out with content providers in Q2 we will be able to release a USB HD option for the 622..." then again I dont know many companies that discuss legal issues in the public or tip their competitors off with respect to the legal challenges their technology is facing, it is at the end of the day a balancing act. Personally I dont take it too serious, I monitor this website and look for info on new and exciting features any release dates are subject to change. As someone who has followed technology for over 20 years vaporware is nothing new or unique to Dish...

Personally, I do not see any major changes happening to fundamentally change the way we view and or store content until DRM is worked out. Atleast Dish is forwarding thinking enough to release hardware with the future in mind. Just my two cents...

The channels are already there. It's a name change to more accurately reflect the number of channels in the package.

Nothing personal navy but man that is such a joke. Since the original lineup of top 40, 100, 150. There has been no significant increase in channels, MAYBE 5 or 10(and recently they have been loosing some), they just keep figuring ways of SAYING they have more. OK the Sirius channels added about 50 or so music channels but most people assume you are getting 200 "TV channels" not 100 "TV" and 100 music. If you count ALL "TV" channels there are barely over 100 in the top 120 (or 200) and that includes 15 or so shop at home Chan's (please) and 15 college stations that NO ONE watches. If you count only Standard chan's (ie CNN, ESPN, SCI-FI, etc) there about 60. I love E* and my 622, I have been an installer for 7 years, but this has always bugged me.

Don't forget the PI channels, but I agree with ya.

Can leased 622 be upgraded to this new 622 with 500GB Harddisk even at small price? I want a 622 with 500GB and do not mind upgrading with a small fee attached to it? Anyone knows the answer?

Nothing personal navy but man that is such a joke.... they just keep figuring ways of SAYING they have more. OK the Sirius channels added about 50 or so music channels but most people assume you are getting 200 "TV channels" not 100 "TV" and 100 music. .... I love E* and my 622, I have been an installer for 7 years, but this has always bugged me.

Oh, I agree with you, but figure it's marketing and we have to live with it.

good run down of CES...

Is Feb. 1st a good time to upgrade to the new HD DVR box for an existing customer. I was going to get one before Christmas, but thought I would wait and it looks like the new box will be better.

Thanks..