EchoStar profit rises but subscriber growth slows

I think a lot of E* loses are because of the customer service IMO. I think theres a lot of customers getting fed up with it! I'll never give my full business to E* again. They have to be one of the worst run companys in the TV business IMO.
Have u ever heard of TCI cable? It was one of the biggest reason satellite TV took off!! The guy that used to run that outfit just bought D* (pending reglatory approval) The fun has just begun!!

Have u ever heard of TCI cable? It was one of the biggest reason satellite TV took off!! The guy that used to run that outfit just bought D* (pending reglatory approval) The fun has just begun!!
That man is Dr. John Malone. :)

I agree with Claude part of Dish Networks downfall this quarter was their promotion sucked. When they changed their promotion the phones stopped ringing. And it was not just for Claude It was for many retailers nationwide. The day the promotion changed was the day the phone stopped ringing.

I believe that in the next quarter DirecTV's numbers will be better then what they were for this quarter. While Dish Networks numbers will not be impressive at all.

I did read page 34 and 35 of the Dish 3Q report and if your a business trying to sell yourself to AT&T, they've just shot themselves in the ass. After reading that downtrodden diatribe, I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for Dish. I wonder if the parties responsible for that negative spin were aware that Dish is trying to sell itself to AT&T ? Guess they didn't get that memo. :)
Another thing - even when and if E* does decide that it wants to seriously compete with D* and gets the capacity to have similar HD offerings, they will be way off the mark as the thousands of new subscribers looking to change will now be already under contact with D* You snooze, you lose Charlie.

Scobuck, Are u aware that for the last 2 years or so E* beat D* in net adds?

Yes - that's why I would be concerned if I was Charlie. Why the sudden drop? Forget about D* for the moment (even though they had a GREAT quarter), what happened to DISH?

As an example:
DISH had 8.18 in Dec of 2002 and 13.58 in June of 2007 - they added 5.40 million.

D* had 11.2 in Dec 2002 and 16.3 in June of 2007 they added 5.10 The difference between the 2 is 300,000 in 5 years.

If DirecTV duplicates what it did last quarter and beats DISH by 140,000 net new subs, they will make back the past 5 years IN 6 MONTHS!

That man is Dr. John Malone. :)

I agree with Claude part of Dish Networks downfall this quarter was their promotion sucked. When they changed their promotion the phones stopped ringing. And it was not just for Claude It was for many retailers nationwide. The day the promotion changed was the day the phone stopped ringing.

I believe that in the next quarter DirecTV's numbers will be better then what they were for this quarter. While Dish Networks numbers will not be impressive at all.

Scott - but didn't you also say (and correctly, I might add) that BOTH companies' retailers had CRAPPY quarters? I think there is more to it than just the bad promotion thing.

Let me just say that if AT&T Uverse get going and Verizon start getting its lines out. Both sat. companys will be in big trouble.

Let me just say that if AT&T Uverse get going and Verizon start getting its lines out. Both sat. companys will be in big trouble.

Verizon/FIOS, maybe, but UVerse needs to fix their bandwidth issue so you can have multiple HD streams, and two isn't going to be enough.

I agree. AT&T is suppose to be in my area within the next several years. I would hope most of the bugs will be worked out by then. It will give us another option. Competion will not hurt anyone.:)

I read one quote, Charlie blaming marketing and customer service issues as well as customer financial woes hurting the company. Should be honest and come out and say that DirecTV out marketed, out witted and won this battle, only expected to be worse in Q4 now that DirecTV has the HD crown now.

First of all, what I was meaning to say was that the smart customers are doing the compairisons before making the decision on which provider to go with.

With all the Free crap Directv is giving away, customers are not making an informed decision because they can't see past FREE FREE FREE.

As far as Directv's HD advertising, they put more money promoting nothing over the past 2 years than Dish has ever spent.

With all the Free crap Directv is giving away, customers are not making an informed decision because they can't see past FREE FREE FREE.

??? Isn't E* the one giving away all the free stuff? E*'s giving away their HD DVR for free while the best I've seen D* for new customers is $199.

First of all, what I was meaning to say was that the smart customers are doing the compairisons before making the decision on which provider to go with.

As far as Directv's HD advertising, they put more money promoting nothing over the past 2 years than Dish has ever spent.

Exactly - IT IS DISH giving away the FREE HD-DVR isn't it? A new sub to D* pays $199. A new sub to DISH gets the HD for FREE for 6 months, don't they? THATS FREE FREE FREE as I see it for DISH - And the DirecTV call said 60% were new HD and DVR subs - THAT'S THE STUFF DISH IS GIVING AWAY FOR FREE!

And, as far as the advertising, why ALL OF A SUDDEN after 2 years (as YOU SAY) would EVERYBODY AT THE SAME TIME 'fall for it'?

Sour grapes I say.

Free HD for 6 months
Free DVR upgrade
Free
HBO, Free HBO-HD, Free Cinemax, Free Cinemax-HD
DISH Network -- Offers

The customer in most cases looks at the best deal upfront. Another thing one has to think about is that some of these customers that they have added may have been from the other satellite provider. Maybe DirecTv gained a lot of Dish customers recently.

Maybe this is one reason why Charlie wants to sell Dish Network. Also DirecTv has exclusive content that used to be on network television (Passions) so I don't know how many subscribers Dish Network may have lost as a result of that. Maybe that contributed to part of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)