Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am about to head in for surgery in a few minutes but just got word that Echostar is buying Hughes Communications for 2 billion dollars.

Hopefully one if the staff can post the details here and on the homepage since I can't at the moment.

Well that goes with the earlier rumor of DISH offering high speed internet. I don't know how they can improve satellite internet though.

Um, echostar loading up on assets so charlie will not get bored after att buys dish network perhaps?

I know what I am buying today:)

Last edited:
I don't know how they can improve satellite internet though.

I would agree they can offer higher speeds 50 Mbps+ but the latency will always be much higher. Unless they try something with their 700mhz and go with a crazy architecture.

I would agree they can offer higher speeds 50 Mbps+ but the latency will always be much higher. Unless they try something with their 700mhz and go with a crazy architecture.

Let's see, scaling the pricing up from the current "Hughes Power 200" package would mean 50 Mbps would only cost around $2249.75 a month. Sign me up! ;)

Sign me up! ;)

Sweet Sending a check or paying via paypal? LOL!!!!

Darn that's high "power 200 for $109.99 for 2Mbps X 300Kbps"

Not sure but does hughes use Ka Band a lot now?

Last edited:
So Echostar is buying Hughes, but didn't Dish pick up all that terrestrial spectrum? Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture here. I totally understand Echostar buying Hughes..it gives them so much more inventory. What are the chances they spin out the HughesNet business and do a lease-type deal like they did with Dish being spun out of Echostar. What I don't understand, though, is beefing up Echostar with these space-based assets but keeping the terrestrial stuff in Dish--though I guess AT&T probably doesn't want to get into the satellite ownership business, so if Charlie really IS trying to sell Dish to AT&T, this might make sense.

I had Hugesnet a few years ago because at the time it was my only high speed option.
It sucked big time.
They throttled traffic bigtime. Some places like speed net were wide open but file sharing sites like rapidshare slowed down like a modem.
and playing online games was impossiable because of the lag.

Not a enjoyable experience and it was costly.

FAP.

But I'll bet there's some sort of master plan. Repurpose the sats? Link w/terrestrial spectrum? This will be interesting to watch.

FAP.

But I'll bet there's some sort of master plan. Repurpose the sats? Link w/terrestrial spectrum? This will be interesting to watch.

I doubt it. If that was the case they would have gotten the assets in the same company. As it is Dish owns the terrestrial spectrum, Echostar the space assets. Plus, the majority of Hughes' satellites are used for things other than HughesNet. Everyone is thinking this is Echostar buying an ISP. HughesNet is like a fraction of their business. It would be a huge disruption to businesses and government if Hughes' capacity for commercial services disappeared. I suspect this is a) a bid to move Echostar out of the business of largely serving only Dish and b) economies of scale.

"The Business" - from their SEC filings.

We operate our business primarily
through our wholly-owned subsidiary, Hughes Network Systems, LLC (“HNS”). We are
a telecommunications company that provides equipment and services to the
broadband communications marketplace. We have extensive technical expertise in
satellite, wireline and wireless communications which we utilize in a number of
product and service offerings. In particular, we offer a spectrum of broadband
equipment and services to the managed services market, which is comprised of
enterprises with a requirement to connect a large number of geographically
dispersed locations with reliable, scalable, and cost-effective applications,
such as credit card verification, inventory tracking and control, and broadcast
video. We provide broadband network services and systems to the international
and domestic enterprise markets and satellite broadband Internet access to North
American consumers, which we refer to as the Consumer market. In addition, we
provide networking systems solutions to customers for mobile satellite,
telematics and wireless backhaul systems. These services are generally provided
on a contract or project basis and may involve the use of proprietary products
engineered by us.

I doubt it. If that was the case they would have gotten the assets in the same company. As it is Dish owns the terrestrial spectrum, Echostar the space assets. Plus, the majority of Hughes' satellites are used for things other than HughesNet. Everyone is thinking this is Echostar buying an ISP. HughesNet is like a fraction of their business. It would be a huge disruption to businesses and government if Hughes' capacity for commercial services disappeared. I suspect this is a) a bid to move Echostar out of the business of largely serving only Dish and b) economies of scale.

Have a friend in the oil industry that uses Hughes. It's to monitor the well strata for drilling the wells. There are lot of applications in the oil co's where they monitor the wells via sat.

Let's see, scaling the pricing up from the current "Hughes Power 200" package would mean 50 Mbps would only cost around $2249.75 a month. Sign me up! ;)

Great news. The American tax payers will help pick that tab up! lol.

"Eligible households that qualify can get high-speed satellite Internet at a significantly reduced price.* This limited time offer is made possible through the Recovery Act program established to help bring high-speed Internet to unserved areas in the U.S."
Satellite Internet - High Speed Internet Service Provider | HughesNet

Frank7004 said:
Great news. The American tax payers will help pick that tab up! lol.

"Eligible households that qualify can get high-speed satellite Internet at a significantly reduced price.* This limited time offer is made possible through the Recovery Act program established to help bring high-speed Internet to unserved areas in the U.S."
Satellite Internet - High Speed Internet Service Provider | HughesNet

We pay for everything else. Might as well use my money for something useful to someone less fortunate than I.

We pay for everything else. Might as well use my money for something useful to someone less fortunate than I.

There are many other ways for someone to get internet. I remember the days when I had to go to the library to get to the world wide web. How did I change that...I got off my butt, worked hard and now for some reason, im able to afford nice things. Isnt America great! :)

Sweet Sending a check or paying via paypal? LOL!!!!

Darn that's high "power 200 for $109.99 for 2Mbps X 300Kbps"

Not sure but does hughes use Ka Band a lot now?

Most new Hughesnet customers go on the Spaceway 3 satellite at 95W which is owned by Hughesnet and is Ka. They also still lease several FSS Ku transponders on different satellites for old customers who signed up before Spaceway 3 was launched and for new customers who have no LOS for Spaceway 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)