ECHOSTAR XI - Launch Countdown Has Begun

Agree 100%..... Shouldn't take long to test at 138 then slide on over to 110. I'll have to keep an eye out over at 138 with the 90cm.
So your saying ,That launching a satellite and getting it to its testing spot, Testing it ,and moving it over into its home location can be done in 30 days. No way! How long did it take for the Directv 11 and Directv 10 to get into the proper orbit and testing spot? not a few days that I can tell you for sure.

Your Dreaming! But we'll see.:)
Other than it being pretty crowded at 110W, it shouldn't take very long at all. E11 should provide a good benchmark for how long it really takes to get a Sea Launch satellite in place.

The only unusual cargo on E11 will be the video camera and that shouldn't require days of testing and aiming like spotbeams would.

Other than it being pretty crowded at 110W, it shouldn't take very long at all. E11 should provide a good benchmark for how long it really takes to get a Sea Launch satellite in place.

The only unusual cargo on E11 will be the video camera and that shouldn't require days of testing and aiming like spotbeams would.
True, But I can't see a Satellite thats not even launched yet, being operational in 30 days. 60 days maybe, 90 for sure.

So your saying ,That launching a satellite and getting it to its testing spot, Testing it ,and moving it over into its home location can be done in 30 days. No way! How long did it take for the Directv 11 and Directv 10 to get into the proper orbit and testing spot? not a few days that I can tell you for sure.

You are comparing apples and oranges. DirecTV also played around with D-11 a good bit for a BSS experiment.

Listen to rocatman...he knows his schhhhtufff on this ;)

How long did it take for the Directv 11 and Directv 10 to get into the proper orbit and testing spot?
DIRECTV 11 has been aloft for 117 days and counting. At least one third of that time has been spent testing unrelated technologies.

DIRECTV 10 launched from Baikonur, so it isn't a good benchmark.

DIRECTV 11 has been aloft for 117 days and counting. At least one third of that time has been spent testing unrelated technologies.

DIRECTV 10 launched from Baikonur, so it isn't a good benchmark.
Right,But of that time do we know the exact days it took to get into its testing spot after launch? 15? 25? days? anyone?

Right,But of that time do we know the exact days it took to get into its testing spot after launch? 15? 25? days? anyone?

Check post #2 at D11 Sat: Post Separation Discussion - DBSTalk.Com to see exactly where D11 was and when. It shows that it got to the 99.4 test location 70.7 days after launch. Now what's unknown is did Boeing/DirecTV take their time getting it there to save fuel since they also needed to move it to 101 for the BSS testing and then move it back to 99?

I am not sure if it has been posted but channel 101 or 100 (not sure which) will televise the launch starting 11:30 pm central time on Wed.

And the memorial for it will start at 7:00 AM.

Just kidding. (Dear God, please let this one go up without a hitch.:bow:bow)

Check post #2 at D11 Sat: Post Separation Discussion - DBSTalk.Com to see exactly where D11 was and when. It shows that it got to the 99.4 test location 70.7 days after launch. Now what's unknown is did Boeing/DirecTV take their time getting it there to save fuel since they also needed to move it to 101 for the BSS testing and then move it back to 99?
This could be true, But I remember the D10 taking at least 30 days as well to get into geo orbit. Early July launch, 8th or 9th if I recall, and wasn't operational untill September 26, With a target of September 1st. But problems delayed that. I just can't see 30 days ,Sorry! 60 I could see.

DIRECTV 11 took a very leisurely 70 days to get to its testing slot.

Echostar X, also a Sea Launch mission, was up and transmitting in 60 days. As E10 is loaded with spots, it required extra time and testing.

Believe me I hope your right. But what will this satellite do, that we don't already have?

The biggest thing that E-11 does is free up both E-6 and E-8 for use elsewhere by Dish. The other two features on E-11 that should be noted is the camera on it and the massive power capability of it. For comparison, the Ciel-2 satellite with 145 spotbeam TP capability only has a payload power of 10.8 kW while E-11 has a payload power of 20 kW. E-11 at 110 W will only use 19 TPs since E-10 uses the Dish's other 10 TPs there for spotbeams. I believe for the SD TPs at 110 W, Dish uses a Forward Error Correction (FEC) of 5/6 with E-8 but perhaps Dish could go as low as 7/8 with E-11 allowing more useable bandwidth and therefore more SD channels per TP. I believe the old Voom service used 7/8 off of Rainbow-1 (E-12) at 61.5 W.

I believe Ciel 2 has plenty of power available for all 32 transponders based on the allowable EIRP's. I suspect that E11 has plenty of extra power on board to cover their historical problem with solar panal failures degrading capacity over the life of the satellite.

I think I missed something. What's the camera on this satellite supposed to be for? And is it going to be downlinked in any format that the public can view?

I did some research based on posts in this and other forums and it appears that the E-10 satellite that was also launched by Sea Launch to the 138.5 W slot for testing took about 11 days to get there. If E-11 is launched on schedule then based on what was done for E-10, it should be at 138.5 W around July 26/27. Testing of a CONUS only satellite like E-11 at most should take 4 weeks if that so a September 1 operational date is reasonable. August 15 is probably pushing it but I think Dish is anxious to get this satellite on-line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts