ECHOSTAR XI - Launch Countdown Has Begun

I did some research based on posts in this and other forums and it appears that the E-10 satellite that was also launched by Sea Launch to the 138.5 W slot for testing took about 11 days to get there. If E-11 is launched on schedule then based on what was done for E-10, it should be at 138.5 W around July 26/27. Testing of a CONUS only satellite like E-11 at most should take 4 weeks if that so a September 1 operational date is reasonable. August 15 is probably pushing it but I think Dish is anxious to get this satellite on-line.
September 1 would be 45 days.

This satellite is replacing Echostar 8 which currently provides CONUS coverage for 110. It is speculated they might squeeze some more bandwidth out of the TP's by lowering the FEC. But there will be more room on 110 for more HD when the MPEG2 HD's are converted to MPEG4. I think that is in August or Sept, I can't remember.

The big benefit for this bird will be the AK and HI subscribers.

What benefit would that be?

Higher signal levels on 110 which would allow the AK/HI subs to see the national HD on 110 which would then allow them to swap out some of the HD channels on the 110 HD spotbeam.

I'm all for more HD in Alaska. Still waiting for them to green light SCIFI and USA HD, maybe after they get this working.

So, all things being equal, this will have no effect on HD capacity for those of use who are not part of Eastern Arc, is that correct?

Also, Ciel-2 from what I have heard is not launching until march. When does the present satellite at 129 run out of fuel?

That, and I somehow doubt we will see Dish launch HD channels on one arc and leave another arc lacking (possible exception East and West Coast HD feeds). If they did, many customers would demand to switch arcs.

And I doubt E5 will run out of fuel before it gets a replacement. Dish knows its condition better than we do. Plus, Ciel-2 should be good for January, provided there are no additional Proton/Briz issues for ILS. However, I don't think ILS has a revised schedule out yet

So, all things being equal, this will have no effect on HD capacity for those of use who are not part of Eastern Arc, is that correct?

Also, Ciel-2 from what I have heard is not launching until march. When does the present satellite at 129 run out of fuel?

Not necessarily. Depends on if they kick in the lower FEC with the higher power.

Didn't Charlie Ergen in one of his earlier (before the AMC 14 fiasco) chats promise a whole lot of local HD by the end of this year? I am eagerly awaiting the next Charlie chat since I want to see the next map they put up. I want to see more little yellow balls mushroom all over the midwest (including specifically the KY, Ohio, Indiana area) wih a "before the end of the year" promise.

If I remember the article regarding Olympics coverage correctly, there will be 2 special HD networks created for Olympics coverage. Will Dish have these?

Thanks for info. on that if its out, I could have missed it.

Fitzie

Launch date isn't this year.

Ciel 2 is tentatively scheduled for launch from Baikonur in Q4 2008. It will replace Echostar V at 129W and then some.

Ciel 2 is scheduled for Jan of 2009 it was delayed after the last blown up sat. Checked lyngsat launch sch and still listed as Jan but could be delayed.

Last edited:
Paul Korn from Sea-Launch sends her greetings to all SatelliteGuys Members and she says that currently tonight's launch is a GO!

She also sent along this picture which was taken just moments ago of the launch platform.

Go Echostar 11!

Attachments

• sealaunch1.jpg
    sealaunch1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 143
Paul Korn from Sea-Launch sends her greetings to all SatelliteGuys Members and she says that currently tonight's launch is a GO!

She also sent along this picture which was taken just moments ago of the launch platform.

Go Echostar 11!

Very cool pictures. Brings back memories of all the "floaters" I used to fly out to on helicopters in the Gulf! Except ours didn't have rockets sticking up, they had drilling derricks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)