Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
Ecoda 22khz only a few months old is frozen in the off position. Could it be from the cold? It was 18 last night but above freezing now. Blindscan for "on" satellite now pulls in channels from "off" satellite. Was working fine. Anyone seen this? Have not made any changes to blow it. I will go put in a spare to see if it could be the receiver and report back.

Are you sure your coax connections to it are water-tight? I've blown a switch with static electricity, but I've never yet had one go bad "just because", even in super-cold weather. Though I'm sure they could.

I have good experience with these Ecoda switches, let us know more details, or did you mean it was bad?
I´m using one right now, and when I had some problems it was my cables, not the switch.

Swapped out with a spare ecoda and all is working now. Connections were tight and boy oh boy that 3m rubber tape is a real pain to get off! Connections on both lnbs old ecoda were tight and severely weatherproof. Connectors were shiny under the tape. 22 kHz "on" sat is in fine now. Old switch would not go to the 22khz on position. Blindscan was scanning the 0 khz position with 22khz on. I did not swap anything out or make any changes to the system recently that would possibly blow the switch.

Last edited:
Here is the switch I just took out. The 22khz side looks suspicious, I cant tell if its dirt or what:
ecoda.jpg

This is curious also, it looks like the switch was labeled wrong at the factory then relabeled:
edoda2.jpg
0khz is originally on the left, then relabeled as right.

Could it be from the cold? It was 18 last night but above freezing now
highly unlikely. When I had my FTA setup I had switches outside here in Minnesota...where it would get to -20 in the winter....and the switches survived and worked just fine.

highly unlikely. When I had my FTA setup I had switches outside here in Minnesota...where it would get to -20 in the winter....and the switches survived and worked just fine.

Judging by the smokey appearance of the underside of the plastic insulator and general darkening of the 22khz side in the picture above, I am thinking some sort of contamination occurred during assembly and eventually ruined the switch. It stopped switching to the 22 kHz side altogether.

Last edited:
Look at the center conductor that was on the 22KHz side. Make sure that the stinger and insulator are not damaged on the jumper coax. Might have been a shorting connection and I have seen similar look when water got into the port.

I have a nema waterproof box and pg9 connectors sitting on the bench and plans to redo everything when the new BUD gets planted in the near future. Failure is the best way to learn I always say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.