EDIT: Apple TV “Max” users: You just lost 4K streaming on Max. Thanks, Zaslav.

“Max”, the latest iteration of the streaming HBO concept, launched today. This is a “hot take.”

The good news: it seems to work​

The app didn’t crash on me. It didn’t make me log in again, or authenticate. I thought it was supposed to auto-update, but it didn’t. I was able to play something. So the app does get high marks for the basics. But, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be able to say much else good about it.

The bad news​

First things first. I get my Max subscription as an HBO subscriber through DIRECTV. This is my personal experience. Yours may differ. In fact I hope it does. And further, I hope this is all just some bug, some teething pain that will get sorted out in the next few days. But something tells me it’s not.

Problem 1: No 4K​

Pre-release articles about Max said that everyone who paid for an ad-free plan would get 4K streaming for at least six months. It was never clear if that included those who got the app as part of a pay-TV subscription. Now it seems we have an answer.

Plain and simple: There is no 4K. There is no Dolby Vision. There is no Dolby Atmos. At least not for me. If you get your Max through a TV provider and it works for you, please leave a comment below. I’d really love to think that it was “just me.” But I don’t think it is.

I think this is a deliberate move, but what I don’t understand is why they’re not taking the opportunity to get more money out of me.

By the way, it also seems that the HD versions are 30 frames per second, at least on the things I tried. I prefer to watch films at 24fps and my TV refreshes at 120Hz so I don’t get any pulldown effects.

Problem 2: No way to upgrade to 4K​

There’s no path where you could pay an extra $4 and get the 4K you want. I’d consider it, since it seems I’ll be able to ditch my Discovery+ subscription. But there’s no option for that. My only option would be to pay the full boat $20 a month just to get 4K. That doesn’t seem very friendly. I’m more likely to simply skip the 4K, although I wish I had another option.

Problem 3: Where the heck did everything go?​

I’m sure I’ll be able to understand the vastly simplified menu structure eventually. It seems that in a total disregard for current UX trends, the choice of “hub” has moved away from the left side and is now part of the main scroll. Unlike Discovery+, the content is organized by network, which doesn’t make a huge amount of sense. But at least I can still search for what I want and the app seems to have everything I search for.

There are a couple of other little things, good and bad. They took away the ability to upload your own profile photo. But, they did add the ability to turn off auto-playing previews. They didn’t completely remove TCM as I suspected they would. The “continue watching” list brought up things I’d already removed, but at least it did carry over from HBO Max. It didn’t carry over from Discovery+, though.

A path forward?​

Maybe this is just launch day blues. Maybe it will all shake out properly in the coming week. And honestly it’s not like my world is going to come to an end if I don’t get 4K Dolby Vision. But, with every new show being so dark, it seems like you need to have some sort of HDR just to make it look decent.

Maybe, like any time two real people move in together, it’s going to take a minute before you figure out what the boundaries are. But then, more than half of people who move in together or get married end up splitting up. So maybe that’s not a good metaphor.

Folks, I sincerely hope you’ll consider leaving a comment with your experiences. I only have so many different devices I can use to test, and so far they’re all coming up with zero 4K. Just curious if you see it any different.

The post DIRECTV and AT&T Subscribers: You just lost 4K streaming on Max. Thanks, Zaslav. appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

I pay direct to HBO yearly, works perfect on my Roku Ultra.

The Roku always seems to get a bad rap due to having a somewhat simple interface, but I never have issues with it, always works perfectly.

MAX 4K works fine on my Sony TVs. Here's a list of 4K content I was able to find today on MAX..."Dune"..."The Matrix"..."The Batman"..."Rio Bravo"..."Black Adam"..."The Matrix Resurrection"..."WonderWoman 1984"..."Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice"..."The Last of Us"..."WonderWoman" "Shazam! Fury of the Gods"..."Aquaman"..."Zack Snyder's Justice League"..."Matrix Reloaded"..."Man of Steel"..."A World of Calm"..."Blue Planet II"..."Succession"..."The Suicide Squad"..."Battle Bots"..."Edge of Tomorrow"..."The Dark Knight"..."Justice League Justice is Gray"...2001: A Space Odyssey".

I see a lot of stuff that is labeled 4K, for sure. And the Apple TV always upscales to whatever resolution you have set. But I can see a marked difference between Max titles and 4K on other platforms. Also it never goes into Dolby Vision mode so that concerns me as well.

Honestly glad to hear it. Could be just Apple TV, could just be me. Either way I'm happy for the rest of the community

Post title seems a bit alarmist coming from a "staff member."

Are "Stuart Sweet" and "Mystery Man" the same user? Avatars look strangely similar.

Gosh, I sure wish I could get "cutting edge" flair in my handle for all my contributions to this site over the past 12 years!

:banme

Post title seems a bit alarmist coming from a "staff member."

Are "Stuart Sweet" and "Mystery Man" the same user? Avatars look strangely similar.

Gosh, I sure wish I could get "cutting edge" flair in my handle for all my contributions to this site over the past 12 years!

:banme
Kind of makes you wonder. Both posters using "The Shadow" for avatars, and both registered within a week of each other, only one is a mod?

Reactions: comfortably_numb
MysteryMan and I are not the same person. We have both been using similar avatars for over a decade. We respect each other, I’d even say we’d be friends if we lived near each other.

I started this account to use personally, as opposed to my Solid Signal account which represents the company I work for. Both of us migrated here when the Edgecutter site closed, and before that we were both at “the other site” for years.

Scott was kind enough to offer me a moderator position as a show of respect for my eight years running the Edgecutter site. It’s my intention to use my mod powers in the DIRECTV Cutting Edge and Tech forums, both of which I adminned at the Edgecutter site. I would only moderate any other part of this site if there was a sincere need.

Note for the sake of transparency: I edited the title of this thread to match the article it references.

Redditors have confirmed that the Apple TV version of the Max app has a bug where Match Frame Rate and Dynamic Range are broken. The workaround is to force Dolby Vision at 24Hz and supposedly that works.

Reactions: Ronnie-