EHD Fee lifted?

cr08

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
NE Ohio
Curious about this. I just saw a message out of nowhere on my 722k in 'standby' mode that I have not ever seen before since I've had it which basically said if I wanted extra recording space to use a USB 2.0 hard drive and call Dish to activate it. Said nothing about any fees or anything and, like I mentioned, is the first time I've seen any EHD related message since about December when I signed up for Dish.

Any ideas if they have lifted this fee or still gotta plunk down $40 in addition to the cost of a hard disk to accomplish this?

Would this fee also still apply to, say, using said hard disk just to turn a non-DVR box like a 222k into a DVR?

if it was free, do you really think you would have to call in to activate it? it would already be available. dish is not going to encourage customers to call in and raise costs of operations of their call center. that would be like making channel 101 free, but you gotta call in to subscribe to it.

after re-reading this, it kinda seems like a flame, dont take it as one. your question was legit. i am just in a sarcastic jackass mood.

if it was free, do you really think you would have to call in to activate it? it would already be available.

We are talking about dishnetwork, remember when they combined HD and Platinum HD and failed to tell people it was only $10 and no longer $20. If you
didn't call to change it you would still be billed the $20.

once again, why would dish do something to encourage customers to call in and raise costs to call centers? they knew damn well there were plenty of uninformed people that would continue to pay 20 bucks for hd, so let them.

@fkent484: Actually, yeah. Was down to like ~4 hours HD time left that I recalled.

It still cost to activate an EHDD. Also the 222k won't take one only the 211k does.
Bummer. Not even just playback sans any dvr functionality? Kinda blows if that's the case. We currently have the 722k on the 2 primary record/playback tv's in the house and then a 222k in my bedroom on the lesser important 2 tv's and it is often that I'd like to be able to commandeer the primary set on the 722k long enough to transfer some of my own shows to an EHD and bring it up to the 222k to watch since both outputs on the 722k are often used.

If the 222k is capable I wouldn't mind spending the extra $40 for the convenience but if the 722k is the only one it would just be a waste.

@fkent484: Actually, yeah. Was down to like ~4 hours HD time left that I recalled.

Bummer. Not even just playback sans any dvr functionality? Kinda blows if that's the case. We currently have the 722k on the 2 primary record/playback tv's in the house and then a 222k in my bedroom on the lesser important 2 tv's and it is often that I'd like to be able to commandeer the primary set on the 722k long enough to transfer some of my own shows to an EHD and bring it up to the 222k to watch since both outputs on the 722k are often used.

If the 222k is capable I wouldn't mind spending the extra $40 for the convenience but if the 722k is the only one it would just be a waste.

Even if the 222 supported EHD, it wouldn't be interchangable/usable on the 722.

S~

Even if the 222 supported EHD, it wouldn't be interchangable/usable on the 722.

S~

I thought I remember reading in plenty of threads here and in other forums that it was pretty much an account-wide thing and the EHD(s) could be swapped between receivers?

Yes and no. EHD are interchangable between the 622s and 722s. Series 2 has their own additional fee. The software is different. I can exchange my EHDs between my 622's, but my 211 has a separate EHD and additional fee.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)