EHD for Hopper

jimw

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Fredericksburg, Tx.
Have been contemplating getting an EHD for Hopper system. In searching bthe available units, I noticed several using a 3.0/3.1 USB connection. Question is would this be compatible with Hopper? If not, is there an adapter to use?

Jim

It will work, but only at USB 2 speeds. No adapter needed. You'll only notice the "3" has blue connector insides, and the "2" probably white. USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2.

I think 2TB is still the limit, but I personally don't go past 1TB and most of my EHDs are much smaller. Less to lose when the drive fails.

Have been contemplating getting an EHD for Hopper system. In searching the available units, I noticed several using a 3.0/3.1 USB connection. Question is would this be compatible with Hopper? If not, is there an adapter to use?

Jim

And two things to be aware of...

The EHD has to have an external power supply; the feature is designed to work with one like that.

And if you have an HWS, you might want to wait until the software update that's promised for next week. There have been many issues with 328 and then 330, including "disappearing" EHDs and Transfers getting hung up and then the Hopper needing to be reset.

Just check the threads that will inevitably be here when that update hits.

I've transferred say 50 shows to several EHDs with S330 currently and S328 before.
The catch is several dozen shows will transfer until the last 0 to 5+ seconds.
I even have one that goes into the transfer complete blurb but does not finish.
These recordings are up to 6 years old and some may have been transferred several times.
It's all in the current bad software. Well, it almost works.
Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and newer rules don't allow leaners in first.
-Ken

Thank guys. Good points to consider & exactly what I was needing. I hate to rely on a sales person at Best Buy; never know if you're getting the truth or a line of BS just so they can make a sale. Thanks again.

Jim

I have a hws for about 3 weeks now. When I go into my recordings there are 10 recordings but when I go into the screen to transfer to my ehd, 2 of the shows aren't there. I go back to hopper, they are there and play fine, but don't show up in the transfer screen. Any tips. I reset the red button on the hopper and unplugged and replugged the ehd.

I have a hws for about 3 weeks now. When I go into my recordings there are 10 recordings but when I go into the screen to transfer to my ehd, 2 of the shows aren't there. I go back to hopper, they are there and play fine, but don't show up in the transfer screen. Any tips. I reset the red button on the hopper and unplugged and replugged the ehd.

There are all sorts of EHD problems right now, introduced by the last software update. The fix is expected to start rolling out on the 10th.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I hope it is not later than the 10th and better to be earlier to get on with my backlog.

I tried some of my previous failures and maybe 1/2 or less now finished the transfer on a quiet night.
I thought I had retried most but the time left at stop (less than 6 sec) was often different.
I know there was no update and hesitate to try as I dislike rebooting, which many require.
-Ken

The update on the tenth, may be on the 14th or 16th, but that is when they start the roll out I usually have to add a week or 2 to that.
i guess I will just continue to wait patiently. Yah right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)