EHD Question

JerryDowning

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 31, 2012
NE Illinois
I have noticed that recordings which were recently moved to my EHD show only a blank screen and will not play. Shows which were recorded earlier play back just fine. Recently recorded shows CAN be transferred from my EHD to the internal drive and will play back OK. Is this a new feature (bug) or is my EHD dying?

I suspect the latter. But they transfer back. I gather these are not premium movies?

I've played back a couple of shows I moved to my EHD within the past two months, and played from the EHD. Did your problem develop earlier than that?

As to if the EHD is dying, I'm not qualified to say. I did have one die, but if I recall correctly, I didn't have any chance to move the programs. One day it worked, and the next time I couldn't get anything to play. I still have it--maybe I should try again. :D

Sorry, not much help...

One day it worked, and the next time I couldn't get anything to play. I still have it--maybe I should try again.
You should verify that the drive is actually spinning. Sometimes the power supplies die and other times, the discs may not want to start spinning. I've cajoled a number of drives into spinning by repeatedly power cycling or other physical means.

Something else I've noticed more recently is the USB cabling isn't all that rugged and replacing the cable may solve the problem.

Reactions: Charise
I can regularly view earlier recordings and I can move recordings to and from the EHD without any problems so I am pretty sure that the EHD is running.
I have cables and I will try that next.
The problem developed recently and only applies to programs moved over within the last week or so.

Just to clarify, there is no chance any of these recordings are corrupted is there? Also, I agree with Navy's question. What recordings are they?

A couple of movies, a handful of shows such as " the Odd Couple", "Hawaii 50" etc. The same recordings that did not work before are now fine. I have had a corrupted recording in the past and it gave me an error message if I tried to watch it or move it back to the internal drive. I believe that was caused by a momentary power outage while it was being transferred. I am now using a battery back-up and have sailed through power outages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts