EHD v receiver/dvr

carlcaudill

Original poster
Dec 9, 2013
Sellersburg, In
I use a 211 receiver in my RV and would like to record shows while I am watching different channel. Would I be better off with a EHD or a Dish receiver/recorder like the 625 or 512? Will Dish support these DVR/receivers if you buy one on ebay and do they require one cable or two to the receiver to be able to record.

If you put an EHD on your 211 you will not be able to watch something and record something at the same time off of satellite. The 211 receiver only has one tuner in it so it can only do one thing at a time. There is one way to make it work though, you can add an OTA module and an antenna. This would be an added tuner so you could record a show off of satellite while watching a show of the antenna and the other way around.

Depending on the dish antenna and setup you have you could use a 625, 722 or something similar. These receivers have the hard drive built in and also have two tuners. If you go with a 722 you would also have the capability of a third tuner if you added antenna. Remember that there is a $7 DVR fee regardless of you owning the equipment or not.

You also didn't specify the 211z, which is the only model in the series to take an OTA tuner separate from the receiver. ;) (The rest have it built-in.)

Your better off with a 722 or a Hopper. That way you would have multiple tuners. There is no activation fee for an ehd, but you will have to pay a dvr fee. The 722 has 2 sat tuners and 1 or 2 ota tuners depending on which model. The Hopper 3 sat tuners and 1 ota if u get the ota module. If your RV has more than 1 hdtv, the Hopper and a Joey would give you hd on both.

My Winegard Carryout antenna will not work with the Hopper and the 211 is a VIP211K

As Krell noted above, the 211K has a built in OTA tuner, so you could record something on Sat, and watch OTA at the same time, just to clarify YOUR receiver's capabilities.

It is my understanding that I have to add an EHD to my 211K to turn it into a DVR so should I buy a EHD or just buy a DVR receiver off ebay.
If the answer is to buy the EHD then no need to go any further but if the answer is to buy a DVR receiver off ebay, will the receiver be supported by Dish and will I need to run one cable or two from my Winegard antenna to be able to record while watching a different channel.
Don't know a lot about this stuff so if I am not asking the wright questions to get the answers that I am looking for please help.

Lot of questions lol.

If you do go with and ehd for the 211,make sure it is self powered,not usb powered.This imo is your best option.

As to purchasing used,off of ebay etc,make sure you contact Dish with the receiver numbers,they can verify if it can be activated.Never buy used without checking that info first.

You don't have to buy, you can lease.

For the ViP211 series, one coax.

For the ViP722 series, from a Dish antenna, one coax and a separator at the STB. DK if Winegard works the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Shed No Tears for ESPN

Lost Program Groupings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)