EHD Woes

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
I just upgraded to a 2 Hopper & 2 Joey configuration. I backed up a bunch of recordings off my 722 & 922 prior to the switch on 2 separate EHDs. Now I have been able to access the recordings on one but not on the other. Anyone know why? When I connect the second I'm asked to format the drive. The drive had already been formatted to work with my old 922 & 722. Thanks in advance.

Which version are you on? S209?
First of all, don't connect two drives at the same time. Connect one at a time only.
If it still doesn't work, report the problem to a DIRT member via PM. Indicate the model number of your drive. There have been some compatibility problems with certain types of drives.
Whatever you do, do not initialize it, as you will lose all of your recordings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Which version are you on? S209?
First of all, don't connect two drives at the same time. Connect one at a time only.
If it still doesn't work, report the problem to a DIRT member via PM. Indicate the model number of your drive. There have been some compatibility problems with certain types of drives.
Whatever you do, do not initialize it, as you will lose all of your recordings.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm running S209. Yeah I only connect one drive at a time. The drives I have are both the same model, just one is 1TB and the other is 500 gigs. What adds to the mystery is that the drive did work with my old 922 and my 722 but when I got my replacement 922, which I only had for a couple of days, it wouldn't so I broke out the 500 gig drive. Now the 500 gig drive is fine as is a much older drive with recordings on it. I'll definitely consider contacting a DIRT member. Thanks for your suggestions.

I hate to say this, but it sure sounds like your TB drive has failed and the Hopper upgrade has nothing to do with it. If I were you, I'd mount it on Linux and see if you can read files there. If so, copy the DishArc folder off both 500GB partitions onto alternate storage, and when you have the disk replaced and formatted again with the Hopper, move the folders back again.

It wasn't clear. Did you try both ehd's on each Hopper? Did the 1tb fail on both Hoppers?

Yes I was unable to use the 1TB on either Hopper. Both Hoppers are asking that I reformat it. The 1TB was working fun on all my receivers except for the refurbished 922 I got and the new Hoppers. I will be happy to try out the Linux option. Any ideas how to do this? Are there instructions online. I have no idea how to use Linux. Regarding getting assistance from a DIRT member, have they had success in fixing this issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

I would recommend a liveCD in the Scientific Linux 5.x line, just because I've used it and it works. The 6.x liveCDs that I've used won't let you log in as root, and if you drag/drop with the GUI, they change ownership of the files to something useless like sluser.

So, just boot up the LiveCD, log in as root, and then plug in your USB disks one at a time. Each partition should auto-mount and pop up a window showing you it's contents. Drag/drop the DishArc folder from the bad disk to the good disk.

You can send you account information and I will send an authorization to the receivers and then we will see if we can the Hoppers to reconginize the EHD. Please just let me know, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)