Dish channel line up vs AT&T U-Verse channel line up

a2zvisa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Visalia, Ca
I am contemplating leaving Dish after 11 years and moving to another service.

Is there a website that I can go to that has a comparison of what all the TV services have over the other?

Thank you!

Before you jump be sure it looks good. Go see it at a friend's house. U-Verse has pretty bad picture in many areas. Also the farther away from the hub you are the less number of streams you can record/watch.

whatchel1 said:
Before you jump be sure it looks good. Go see it at a friend's house. U-Verse has pretty bad picture in many areas. Also the farther away from the hub you are the less number of streams you can record/watch.

Exactly. Unlike FiOs, UVerse is hit n miss.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

a2zvisa said:
I am contemplating leaving Dish after 11 years and moving to another service.

Is there a website that I can go to that has a comparison of what all the TV services have over the other?

Thank you!

Definitely look at a neighbors picture quality on hd and ask them about audio drops, how many times they reset their box per day. Uverse was the worst product I have used, but some people in my area that switched to uverse from Comcast liked it (comcast is horrible here) For one year I got a really good deal which I viewed as testing a beta product. couldn't wait to drop them as the pic quality was horrible and the boxes were glitchy. Check out the uverse forums also. If you are really close to their box, you may be fine. Our connection was reviewed, equipment, connections, etc on more than one occasion. Finally gave up. Just passing on what I wish somebody would have told me.

Exactly. Unlike FiOs, UVerse is hit n miss.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I have both Dish and Uverse. In my area, Uverse looks very good. Its actually gotten better
in the last two years since its arrival to South Florida.

They do give you more premium channels. I could be wrong but I do see a couple of
national HD channels on Uverse thats not on Dish. Wealth HD, Halogen and some others.

Uverse is missing BBC HD. This off the top of my head.

What I really love about Uverse is the Vod. A ton the video on demand.

What I would suggest is try it. No contract. You don't like it? Dump it.

I would hold onto dish until your certain.

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate all of the input.

I live in a neighborhood that has been labeled "full fiber." I also remember when I moved in late 2007, the advertisements in the model homes had signs that read "fiber to the house" etc.

I currently have AT&T DSL 3.0. In 2008 I tried to get another company to provide my DSL service (DSL Extreme, etc.) but they all said the same thing that I lived in a "fiber neighborhood" and they could not provide service to me.

So, that being said, I am a member of Satellite Guys and I do keep up with all of the questions and comments on these forums so I was able to ask some questions to the sales rep that came to my house. Of course he had to call someone many times to get me my answers!

I did ask about issues with picture quality, etc.

The rep mentioned that because of where I lived and with the "full fiber" designation, they could offer me an internet speed of 18Mbps.

I will be doing a 6 month no commitment deal so hopefully that will be enough time to fully evaluate this TV/Internet service.

Believe me this switch will difficult because we are so use to the 2 dual tuner HD DVR's that we have. By the sound of it, this single HD DVR unit that we are getting will serve us the same way that we have become accustom to.

Again, thanks for all of the comments and any other comments to follow!

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate all of the input.

I live in a neighborhood that has been labeled "full fiber." I also remember when I moved in late 2007, the advertisements in the model homes had signs that read "fiber to the house" etc.

I currently have AT&T DSL 3.0. In 2008 I tried to get another company to provide my DSL service (DSL Extreme, etc.) but they all said the same thing that I lived in a "fiber neighborhood" and they could not provide service to me.

So, that being said, I am a member of Satellite Guys and I do keep up with all of the questions and comments on these forums so I was able to ask some questions to the sales rep that came to my house. Of course he had to call someone many times to get me my answers!

I did ask about issues with picture quality, etc.

The rep mentioned that because of where I lived and with the "full fiber" designation, they could offer me an internet speed of 18Mbps.

I will be doing a 6 month no commitment deal so hopefully that will be enough time to fully evaluate this TV/Internet service.

Believe me this switch will difficult because we are so use to the 2 dual tuner HD DVR's that we have. By the sound of it, this single HD DVR unit that we are getting will serve us the same way that we have become accustom to.

Again, thanks for all of the comments and any other comments to follow!

Enjoy! This is all fun stuff. Best part is the no commitment. Gotta love that!
I hope your getting a promotional deal. 200 buck promo or 100 bucks.
Make sure you ask.

U-verse HD was terrible when I had it. Literally the SD channels looked better during fast motion. Any fast motion would cause bad pixelation. Hell one of the top videos on YouTube when you search for "U-verse HD" shows how horrible their HD is ( AT&T U-verse HDTV picture quality - YouTube .) Tons of posts just like this one ( http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25159236-U-Verse-worse-than-Comcast-on-HD-Quality-Samples-Inside ) also state the same thing. There were some U-verse vs DISH comparison screens on that site somewhere but I can't find them at the moment (EDIT: here it is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25861624- .) Also hated how watching TV slowed down my Internet, scheduled recordings would boot random users from their TV watching (couldn't control which TV either,) DVR is tiny, no EHD support, and to top it off what's funny is that FTTP (fiber all the way) customers get limited to 18/1.5 and FTTN (DSL) customers can (possibly) get 24/3 Internet. Either way watching TV will slow that down.

Very glad I dumped U-verse TV and came back to DISH. Sooner or later I'll dump their Internet too (24/3,) if/when they get their metered billing working.

Last edited:
whitewolf8214 said:
at&t u-verse and their internet suck and i will never go back to them :)

Strange that theres no consistency with the service.
It seems that the closer you are to the vrad the better.
When I first got uverse 2 years ago service
Was horrible.
To their credit they have since fixed these issues in my area.
No kidding the hd is very good.

lern4483 said:
Strange that theres no consistency with the service.
It seems that the closer you are to the vrad the better.
When I first got uverse 2 years ago service
Was horrible.
To their credit they have since fixed these issues in my area.
No kidding the hd is very good.

Where can I go to get "schooled" on U-Verse things like FTTP, FTTH, vrad and anything else that I can digest?

Distance to VRAD has NOTHING to do with picture quality. All it has to do with, is which profile you are on (32/5, 25/2, 19/2,) and how reliable the service is. I am on the 32/5, with only 750 feet from the VRAD (anything below 1200ft is ideal,) and the PQ is horrible.

Being farther from the VRAD just means all the cons I stated (other than PQ, which is already bad,) get even worse. Keep in mind that physical distance to the VRAD doesn't always indicate how much line is actually running from the VRAD to your house. e.g. Say there's a VRAD across the street. There is a good chance that the line from the VRAD could go all the way down the street (say 700 feet,) then all the way back up the other side of the street, another 700 feet, giving you 1400ft of line distance between you and the VRAD across the street. There is also a good possibility that the VRAD you are seeing doesn't even serve your house.

If you are on FTTP, then you will have a 30/3.6 profile, with only 18/1.5 Internet maximum, and distance to the VRAD doesn't matter at all. You will be able to get 4 HD streams, however with being only on the 30Mbps profile, watching more than 2 HD streams (including more SD streams,) will slow down the 18/1.5 Internet speeds.

Last edited:
Thank you 3HaloODST! It is interesting that I asked this very question to the sales rep whether my "speed" would be affected by trying to watch 3 HD streams and download a large file on the computer? Of course the rep called someone and the response was that it would not. So I will definitely try this out and see if I experience stuttering video issues, etc!

Thank you 3HaloODST! It is interesting that I asked this very question to the sales rep whether my "speed" would be affected by trying to watch 3 HD streams and download a large file on the computer? Of course the rep called someone and the response was that it would not. So I will definitely try this out and see if I experience stuttering video issues, etc!
He was wrong. You can only squeeze so much thru a pipe, so to speak.

Keep us posted. Im really curious to see how it works out for you.
It took Uverse a couple of years here in south Florida.
I think they finally have it figured out.

Im not sure Id say its better than dish.
Dish still has the best Dvrs on the market.
Plus if you want the best Dvrs from dish you
will get zapped that extra dvr fee.

Uverse still suffers from some pixillation.
However,
they (Uverse) in my opinion, might be a better overall value.
When you bundle their services the prices are very competitive.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)