EHDs with 8MB cache working ok?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Is anyone using an EHD with an 8mb cache? They seem to be a lot cheaper, especially this one here: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D7REIK/ref=s9sdps_c1_23_at1-rfc_p-frt_g1-3237_g1_si16?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=10B97SS1B9290XQZ5C6D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Iomega Prestige 500 GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34270: Electronics[/ame]

...but are they OK for DVR use?

What kind of enclosure do you use? Trying to find one that is a good trade off between keeping the drive cool and having no fan or a very quiet one. This will be used in a bedroom and will be left on all the time.

KAB - I have seen your recommendation for this enclosure elsewhere. The thing I am concerned about is heat dissipation when it is left on continuously, as would happen with a 211. Do you leave yours on all the time, and how long have you had it in service now?

KAB - I have seen your recommendation for this enclosure elsewhere. The thing I am concerned about is heat dissipation when it is left on continuously, as would happen with a 211. Do you leave yours on all the time, and how long have you had it in service now?
Most of the time, yes. A year ago August. It is a roomy enclosure. Never even feels close warm. I am also using a WD AAKS series drive that is one of the coolest out there. I have two of them (enclosure and drive). The second I use with my desktop (until I fill the other one up).

I think it was Maxtor that made DVR-specific drives that only had 2mb caches. I'd guess it was for (2) reasons, if not more: 1) a DVR didn't need or use the buffer and 2) it adds cost. An 8mb cache or 16mb cache drive certainly will work.... They're cheaper because of volume production.

The reason I asked is that there was a thread here a year or so ago when EHD access was first offered saying that drives with an 8MB cache would cause HD programs to stutter. Just wanted to make sure that was not the case.

And thank you all for the good info. The best option appears to be a drive that runs cool, regardless of cache size, and a good cool enclosure. Fan not really necessary.

Well be useful get a link to that post, so far it could be an aberration in your memory :).
I recall ( and you can read those ) Maxtor white paper about 5400 RPM disk's capability can handle 5 SD stream.
Never saw technical source of the "8 MB" cache issue. Perhaps another opinion of regular member here. :p

Just to confirm for the OP, I installed the Iomega Pestige 500GB as pictured on my 211, and it's working flawlessly. Fairly quiet and a great looking brushed metal case, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts