Electrical Noise interference SuperPowerJack HARL-3618+

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Likvid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
I have a SuperPowerJack that seems very cheap in quality which i bought 3 days ago.

It's the HARL-3618+ model.

I get electrical interference in my loudspeakers, it only comes when i move the motor in one direction, it crackles and sparks in the loudspeakers.

I have tried to isolate the problem and removed the motor from my dish and not having the Vbox2 connected to my receiver, the interference is still there.

Also i have tried to change Vbox2 to another one i have as spare, same interference.

This problem has never occured with any other actuator i had.

You can try grounding the outer casing of the SuperPowerJack to see if it helps.

Is there any fault in the DC motor that makes the interference as i don't have this problem with my old Superjack, design fault?

Funny thing is that it's only crackling when moving the dish in one direction.

i'm guessing the way the motor brushes are the motor creates noise when turning in one direction. Of course I'm assuming the motor has brushes. A capacitor across the motor power connections at the arm may help reduce the noise.

i'm guessing the way the motor brushes are the motor creates noise when turning in one direction. Of course I'm assuming the motor has brushes. A capacitor across the motor power connections at the arm may help reduce the noise.

Is there any risk of damaging my other equipment with this interference going on?

Probably not, unless you inadvertently have the volume cranked. A .1uf cap across the motor wires should minimize the interference. Also, if using wire with a the ground/shield. It should only be grounded on one end. Connecting it to ground on both ends creates a "Ground Loop" which can exacerbate the problem. I would ground it at the dish only. A cap from each motor lead, to ground, can also be added for more filtering. A couple of power line ferrites can also be put on the motor leads between the caps and the wire to the house. Preferably right before the wires exit the actuator case. If none of that results in enough attenuation. I'd remove the motor, and hook it up to 6 volt lantern battery and let it run until it stops spinning, to "wear in" the brushes, to minimize the sparking that's creating the interference.

I removed the whole motor and magnets inside and cleaned it and oiled the gears.

Tried now and the interference seems to be gone for now anyway, could be faulty assembled from the beginning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts