Electronic Arts is no longer developing games for Nintendo's Wii U

No big deal. I don't have a WiiU, and I don't plan on buying one. Besides, most of EA's titles are crap. They just spit out stuff that makes them money and don't care about the gamers.

No big deal. I don't have a WiiU, and I don't plan on buying one. Besides, most of EA's titles are crap. They just spit out stuff that makes them money and don't care about the gamers.

Really all of the big companies in any industry are just trying to make money. I disagree with a lot of EA's business practices, namely microtransactions and there now canceled online passes. I don't think their games are crap though. Yes the sports games are just yearly rehashes, however, they made some of my favorite games of this generation. The Mass Effect trilogy is probably my all time favorite gaming franchise. I also really like the Dead Space series even though I haven't played Dead Space 3 yet and I have had a lot of good times online with the Battlefield series. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the Star Wars franchise too.

EA is the game publisher everyone loves to hate, and a lot of it is for good reason. I wouldn't want to see them missing from my platform of choice though.

Yeah but they didn't become one of the biggest game publishers ever by making bad games. As bad as their business practices are they still are a major player. They own exclusive rights on the NFL and other sports franchises as well as other popular IPs nowadays, and many point to their lack of support of Dreamcast to part of it's downfall.

This has been lost a bit but EA has actually backtracked and clarified their statement. They haven't completely dropped support for the Wii U, BUT they have mentioned that they are doing much more development for PS4 and XBone.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/22/ea-wii-u-games

Really all of the big companies in any industry are just trying to make money. I disagree with a lot of EA's business practices, namely microtransactions and there now canceled online passes. I don't think their games are crap though. Yes the sports games are just yearly rehashes, however, they made some of my favorite games of this generation. The Mass Effect trilogy is probably my all time favorite gaming franchise. I also really like the Dead Space series even though I haven't played Dead Space 3 yet and I have had a lot of good times online with the Battlefield series. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the Star Wars franchise too.

EA is the game publisher everyone loves to hate, and a lot of it is for good reason. I wouldn't want to see them missing from my platform of choice though.

Don't give them credit for cancelling the "online pass" because the only reason it was cancelled was because it's redundant as with the XBOX One the user has to register their game to their xbox live account/console.

Don't give them credit for cancelling the "online pass" because the only reason it was cancelled was because it's redundant as with the XBOX One the user has to register their game to their xbox live account/console.
But what about the PS3 and Wii U?

But what about the PS3 and Wii U?

I'm assuming you meant PS4 and Wii U. They probably don't care about the Wii U since none of their big games will be ported to it. They have already said their frostbite engine isn't compatible with Wii U. Any games they put out for Nintendo will probably be lower quality spin-offs of their big franchises and they might have just decided to let online pass slide for those games.

As for PS4. I don't believe for one second that Sony isn't going to be forcing DRM if Microsoft does in the way everyone seems to think they are. I highly doubt this was just some arbitrary decision Microsoft made. It is the game publishers really pushing for DRM more than Microsoft or Sony. The publishers have the most to gain from cutting out used sales.

I don't believe that EA is going to put out the next Madden and say we have to have this locked down on Xbox One but everyone on PS4 have at it. It sounds like Sony is just handling it in a different way. They have said that DRM would be left up to the publishers and they wouldn't enforce it themselves. Meaning, you can bet that DRM will still be there. They are just washing their hands of it so they can say it's not their fault, it was the publishers.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/sony-wont-answer-these-questions-about-ps4-drm-and-used-games-yet/
“At a roundtable this morning, Sony’s game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won’t require that.” (Emphasis added.) Apologies for missing that during our attempts to clarify just how similar or dissimilar Sony’s next-gen policies are from Microsoft’s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts