Elevation and Latitude?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharpman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I am currently working on the 90cm I got Friday, and need a little help. I am attempting to follow the latitude, elevation, and declination angle that are for my area. Which of these goes to the motor and the dish, I am attempting to figure it out but it will point at the ground or just straight ahead. Fort Worth 76131 if the numbers of lat:33, elevation :57 and declination:5.33 are wrong. I am just getting a little confused.

some motors have a latitude marking and a elevation marking. Use the latitude scale if it has it

If I were to use the latitude it points at the ground. Just for it to look good I have to use numbers completely in the opposite direction for the SG2100 motor. For it to point in the air I have to put lat at 80. I did put the poll in a vertical position. I just cant seem to figure this out.

Motor elevation = 57º

Dish on motor elevation = 25º

If you are using the Winegard 30" dish make sure you use the RED mark to set the elevation.......

We also have a thread all about installing this motor in our FAQ area :)

Attachments

• attachment[1].jpg
    attachment[1].jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 159
PSB said:
Motor elevation = 57º

Dish on motor elevation = 25º

Help me here with the 2 different elevations. I do have the one that the motor came with set at 25 but the motor elevation, where is that for me? The actual dish 57 makes it point directly at the fence in the yard when on the 90cm dish. I have them connected to each other just attempting to figure out the correct numbers to use.

The SG2100 motor should have two scales one on each side, one should be at around your latitude and at an elevation of 57º on the other side.

The dish should be set at an elevation of 25º

My elevation here is confusing me, the dish looks as it may barely misses the top of my fence in the yard and the house behind me. I have put them as you stated, now I will attempt to look for a signal on the receiver. Thanks.

Remember an off-set dish seems to be pointing lower than where it actually is pointing (usually about 22º higher to be exact)

Attachments

• 22-deg-offset.gif
    22-deg-offset.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 162
  • pdss047078.jpg
    pdss047078.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 195
Can you upload any pictures so we can verify that the assembly is correct? At 55 degrees of elevation, there is no way that the dish should appear to point straight ahead.

you didn't meantion what brand dish you have, just it's size. My 76cm winegard's lnb arm reflects the angle my dish is supposed to be aiming at. This made it easier for me to use my magnetic protractor to aime my dish (true south sat is at 37.7 here) the "offset" angle of these dishes can be a little tricky to the nakid eye.

Here are a few pics of my setup. I have the fortec set at 57, and the motor at 25. I am attempting to get any channels, will receive 75% level on all sats but 0% quality.
Hey I just got 80% level and 15% quality on AMC 2 when waiting for upload of pics. With the nudging it goes down, should the outside elevation be changed or something that might help. Thanks.:hatsoff:

Attachments

• P7230155.JPG
    P7230155.JPG
    836.2 KB · Views: 175
  • P7230156.JPG
    P7230156.JPG
    737.5 KB · Views: 169
  • P7230157.JPG
    P7230157.JPG
    594.5 KB · Views: 171
  • P7230158.JPG
    P7230158.JPG
    713.1 KB · Views: 136
Again, the motor should be at 57º and the dish at 25º :)

Motor elevation bracket on upside down!

Put a level on top of the mast/pole and make sure its EXACTLY level (after putting the dish and motor on, as they will pull the mast/pole forward)

Attachments

• mountpole.gif
    mountpole.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
PSB said:
Again, the motor should be at 57º and the dish at 25º :)

Motor elevation bracket on upside down!

Put a level on top of the mast/pole and make sure its EXACTLY level (after putting the dish and motor on, as they will pull the mast/pole forward)

That could obviously be it. Should be why it seems to point at the fence. Thanks will go and have more "fun" outside working on it.

Otherwise some NICE work :)

What a nice view of the sky also!

Have FUN! Thats what this should be all about!

Well I have attempted all for the day, frustration has struck. I am moving the sat to just attempt to pick up anything and receive nothing. I adjust the dish when I think a sat is in the proper compass reading along with small movement but get no quality or signal ever from the signal meter. Maybe all the sats will just land in my yard (and dish) some day.

I was going to suggest that you remove the motor for now and consentrate on just finding and storing a few satellites and channels first!

If you feel you are close to a satellite do a blind scan :)

If I recall there is a chart in the back of the sg2100 motor manual, and it tells you what angles you should be at according to your lat/long of the dish setup. You use these to set the angle of your motor. Then if all goes well there, you set the angle of the dish as you normally would if it was mounted on a stationary pole. Check out sadouns website and he has instructions to mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts