Email from Amazon about Prime Video

As many of the Brick and Mortor stores and Ma and Pop stores say, Thanks Alot as they go out of business ... :(
There are no Mom and Pop stores anymore (except groceries and a handful of hardware stores), just more chains who only stock their shelves with those products that sell the most or have the highest markup so if you want any real choice you have to buy on-line. The only place that Mom and Pops can still compete is with grocery store chains and hardware chains. In the last 10 years or so the local Giant has dropped product after product from their inventory and when I ask why the answer is always "We don't sell a lot of that." as if those customers don't count. So if it isn't the number one seller it's gone. However, there are some local Mom and Pop grocery stores and their business is growing because they stock what their customers want. Not everybody wants the same smoked turkey or boiled ham. Another thing is the smaller grocery stores carry a diversified product line unlike the chains that will reach an agreement with one supplier and only carry their line. Boars Head is an example of that, they moved into the Giants and pushed everybody else out so now a pound of smoked turkey and a pound of lacey swiss costs $31.00. I go to a local market and get the same thing for $14.00 (NOT Boars Head), even less if I hit one of the Farmer's Markets. The point being, I'd love to shop locally but unfortunately the B&M chains already put the Mom and Pops out of business and now they, in turn, are being pressured by Internet vendors. It's the cycle of retail life.

When considering shipping times, you folks should consider is that many things available on the Amazon website are coming from third party vendors, not Amazon. Amazon is just marketing it for them. But their website will give you an estimate of when it will be delivered.

I depend on Amazon Prime for a lot of items. Where I live in the middle of the Adirondack Park in New York State, there are no "Big Box" stores or large name-brand supermarkets without driving at least 50 miles or more (one-way). We make weekly 50 mile round-trips to Tupper Lake to get grocery and hardware store items, But there are Amazon warehouses in Syracuse and Albany that can get the stuff they stock to me in a couple of days by UPS.

When I first joined Amazon Prime, I had burned out the motor on a small table saw in the middle of a project. The Bosch saw I wanted for replacement was hundreds of dollars from Amazon, plus a large shipping cost. Amazon Prime at the time was less than the shipping, and they shipped it for free. The saw was cheaper than the same saw from Home Depot or Lowes, which are an hour and 20 minutes away. The free shipping is why I use Amazon Prime, everything else is an added bonus. I'm not sure if I will pay to get rid of the hated commercials,

So I should spend extra time and money just to drive to a store and spend even more on a product I can get for $20 less a month.

You know how I know it was more, I went there and gave them a chance.

As far as the expenses Brick and Mortar stores have to operate, rent, employees, insurance, etc.

Amazon has those same expenses, they have warehouse space they have to pay rent or buy, they have employees, insurance, trucks, they also have the added costs of running the website, which cannot be inexpensive for a site as complex as Amazons.
Keep doing as you have, just hope your Family doesn't own a business ...

There are no Mom and Pop stores anymore (except groceries and a handful of hardware stores), just more chains who only stock their shelves with those products that sell the most or have the highest markup so if you want any real choice you have to buy on-line. The only place that Mom and Pops can still compete is with grocery store chains and hardware chains. In the last 10 years or so the local Giant has dropped product after product from their inventory and when I ask why the answer is always "We don't sell a lot of that." as if those customers don't count. So if it isn't the number one seller it's gone. However, there are some local Mom and Pop grocery stores and their business is growing because they stock what their customers want. Not everybody wants the same smoked turkey or boiled ham. Another thing is the smaller grocery stores carry a diversified product line unlike the chains that will reach an agreement with one supplier and only carry their line. Boars Head is an example of that, they moved into the Giants and pushed everybody else out so now a pound of smoked turkey and a pound of lacey swiss costs $31.00. I go to a local market and get the same thing for $14.00 (NOT Boars Head), even less if I hit one of the Farmer's Markets. The point being, I'd love to shop locally but unfortunately the B&M chains already put the Mom and Pops out of business and now they, in turn, are being pressured by Internet vendors. It's the cycle of retail life.
INCORRECT ...
I personally work for a Mom and Pop store.

Keep doing as you have, just hope your Family doesn't own a business ...
So you expect me to spend $240 more over the year, wear and tear on my vehicle, drive a hour and a half away, at least 6 times a year ( when I was there, looks like they only stock 2 bottles at a time), just to help support someone I do not even know?

So you expect me to spend $240 more over the year, wear and tear on my vehicle, drive a hour and a half away, at least 6 times a year ( when I was there, looks like they only stock 2 bottles at a time), just to help support someone I do not even know?
WOW .....

Its no wonder the world is struggling ....

So, your good with all the Ma and Pop stores going out of business, just so you don't have to drive to the store.

Personally, I would MUCH Rather have the ability to SEE and sometimes Feel the product I'm buying, than look at a screen and expect other to do the work of me getting the product.

I will drive to the store to pick something up, every day, over ordering online and have it delivered if I can get it locally.

If you haven't noticed, the country has become Amazon and Walmart .... the majority of others are gone.
Money and Greed always wins .... that really sux.

Screw the hard working business man.

This really sad, that you want there to be only large conglomerate to survive. :no

I hope you all are Rich enough, because once the Ma and Pop shops are run out of town, the prices will skyrocket.

The local Sautters is a Family owned grocery store and is doing very well, Not all Ma and Pops are gone ...
It sounds like you were describing a Ma and Pop store above.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
WOW .....

Its no wonder the world is struggling ....

So, your good with all the Ma and Pop stores going out of business, just so you don't have to drive to the store.

Personally, I would MUCH Rather have the ability to SEE and sometimes Feel the product I'm buying, than look at a screen and expect other to do the work of me getting the product.

I will drive to the store to pick something up, every day, over ordering online and have it delivered if I can get it locally.

If you haven't noticed, the country has become Amazon and Walmart .... the majority of others are gone.
Money and Greed always wins .... that really sux.

Screw the hard working business man.

This really sad, that you want there to be only large conglomerate to survive. :no

I hope you all are Rich enough, because once the Ma and Pop shops are run out of town, the prices will skyrocket.
Ok, this might be better for the pit, but you are on a pension correct, where do you think the money comes from to help fund it, it invests, buys stocks, bonds from where, places like Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

Not mom and pop or locally owned stores.

So myself buying from those places, helps the share price, which then helps the pension.

A pension fund is a fund that accumulates capital to be paid out as a pension for employees when they retire at the end of their careers. Pension funds typically aggregate large sums of money to be invested into the capital markets, such as stock and bond markets, to generate profit (returns).

Ok, this might be better for the pit, but you are on a pension correct, where do you think the money comes from to help fund it, it invests, buys stocks, bonds from where, places like Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

Not mom and pop or locally owned stores.

So myself buying from those places, helps the share price, which then helps the pension.

A pension fund is a fund that accumulates capital to be paid out as a pension for employees when they retire at the end of their careers. Pension funds typically aggregate large sums of money to be invested into the capital markets, such as stock and bond markets, to generate profit (returns).

Boy, thats a REAL S T R E T C H .............

Prime was good as you got free two day shipping.

Now you just get free shipping but it can take longer then 2 days for them to get it to you.

There isn't much I watch on Prime Video so I am not paying $2.99 a month more.

And actually with how bad Amazons shipping has been lately, I am thinking about just canceling prime altogether.
I am shocked. My 2-day service rarely turns into 3. More often it's next day or even same day. I live in northern VA near DC.

By the way, I am pissed at the ads and I think Amazon, instead of raising my rate to get rid of them again, should instead lower rates for everybody who finds the ads acceptable. As it is, I feel double-crossed.

I am shocked. My 2-day service rarely turns into 3. More often it's next day or even same day. I live in northern VA near DC.

By the way, I am pissed at the ads and I think Amazon, instead of raising my rate to get rid of them again, should instead lower rates for everybody who finds the ads acceptable. As it is, I feel double-crossed.
Here in Canada, I just received my letter about ads on Prime yesterday. I terminated my subscription on Prime yesterday. I hope others who feel the same will also do so. I have so much available to watch via FTA, OTA, streaming and fiber cable...I really don't need Prime.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
This might be the one service I am willing to put up with ads on. We watch so little on Prime Video compared to Netflix, Hulu/Disney, Paramount+, Peacock, etc. that it just doesn't seem worth paying to avoid the ads for it, especially if they actually turn out to be "limited."

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Just wanted to verify that since you opted to pause you definitely did not get billed for anything from Amazon for your Prime subscription today (since that was your renewal day).

No charge, and I have an offer for a one week trial for $1.99

IMG_2741.jpeg

Here in Canada, I just received my letter about ads on Prime yesterday. I terminated my subscription on Prime yesterday. I hope others who feel the same will also do so. I have so much available to watch via FTA, OTA, streaming and fiber cable...I really don't need Prime.
I mainly buy small items from Amazon, and often they are like used DVD's from 3rd party vendors that include shipping with their items. On occasion I buy a larger item, but they are over $35. So for me spending $140 a year, it is not worth it. I first signed up with Prime some years back when it was $79 a year. It was a better deal then.