embarq/dish bundle

jpw711

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Springfield MO Area
Got a letter from Embarq today stating since I have dsl thru Embarq and Dish Network (thru dish), If I bundle, I'll save $5/month. Says no new contract, no changes to programing, just call us and you will save $5.

Anybody else received this? I'm wondering who I call when I have a dish network problem, not that DN does a good job when this happens, but add a middle man and who knows what will happen.

Bundling often prevents subs from taking advantage of special promotions, ie, the Cinemax for a penny deal. Not generally recommended.

I have DN through Embarq and I do get that 5.00 credit every month as promised. You won't be able to take advantage of any promotions that require changes to how you are billed; ie) no paperless or autopay signup benefits like the Cinemax deal. However, you can still take advantage of any other promotions Dish is running like the free HBO/Starz for 3 months. The big disadvantage I see is you can't use the Dish online feature, so no remote programming for your DVR's or changing programming packages through the web site. You can still use the online chat. Finally, you get a special customer support number to call for "Dish Network offered by Embarq" which for me so far has always been answered immediately by a knowledgable US based CSR.

I've had Dish through Embarq since 9/2006 and have AEP + HD/Platinum FWIW. Hope this helps! :up

Once you bundle you will not be able to access your account on Dish. I advise against it, even though they will tell you you will get everything normal Dish customers get. I have ATT Dish and I regret I ever signed up. They can take their $5 discount and shove it--not worth the hassle.

I got the same kind of letter from CenturyTel (new parent company of Embarq, soon to be CenturyLink) anyway, CTL's ad was the same thing, since I have DSL, telephone, and long distance through CTL I could bundle and "save $5" per month. I found out, if I did bundle however, that I would be unable to access Dish Remote Access and all of the other features of the Dish website for my account, so it is not worth $5 for me for that inconvienece.

The big disadvantage I see is you can't use the Dish online feature, so no remote programming for your DVR's or changing programming packages through the web site.

Once you bundle you will not be able to access your account on Dish.

I found out, if I did bundle however, that I would be unable to access Dish Remote Access and all of the other features of the Dish website for my account

This is the big negative. The question is: is Dish Online worth $5.00 to you? In my opinion, the remote access alone is worth the $5.00, so I wouldn't do it. :no

I suppose that you are lucky for now. I am in CenturyTel territory and have a friend that is unable to even access his Dish account because he has bundled with CenturyTel.
I have a feeling that in the coming months as Embarq becomes entwined in the CenturyTel billing process etc... and spawns "CenturyLink" that you will become unable to access your account.
Hopefully I am wrong, but I think that Embarq customers will soon be entangled the same way that CTL customers are.

I suppose that you are lucky for now. I am in CenturyTel territory and have a friend that is unable to even access his Dish account because he has bundled with CenturyTel.
I have a feeling that in the coming months as Embarq becomes entwined in the CenturyTel billing process etc... and spawns "CenturyLink" that you will become unable to access your account.
Hopefully I am wrong, but I think that Embarq customers will soon be entangled the same way that CTL customers are.

No, I cannot access my account on the dishnetwork website at all. I am able to use dish.sling.com to remote access my DVR receiver. At that website, it mentions in the FAQ that dish network users who happened to be bundled can use that site.

I have been told by both Embarq and "Dish Network Offered by Embarq" CSR's that I cannot have an online account with Dish Network. Is there a way to remotely access your DVR's w/o an online account?

I have been told by both Embarq and "Dish Network Offered by Embarq" CSR's that I cannot have an online account with Dish Network. Is there a way to remotely access your DVR's w/o an online account?

hxxp://dish.sling.com

Ramen: Thank you for pointing me to that site. I had no idea this was possible (was told it wasn't by many people), and it was the only thing I really missed from my Embarq bundled account. Now, I have to find a way to get the 722k onto the wireless network... (my 612 is online via a wireless bridge)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)