New promotion at DISH : Get up to 3 hd receivers for FREE!

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Some new promotion is brewing at DISH on their front page of their site. IF you look at the bottom right hand corner there is a box saying : With 140 hd channels and counting and Up to 3 hd receivers available for FREE, no one has a better Hd experience than DISH. (Restrictions apply). When you hit on more information it takes you to the hd programming page and another box on the left hand bottom side saying a similar thing: Enjoy HD in more rooms in your home. (restrictions apply). The link doesn't work yet but it makes you think something is brewing up at DISH with this newest promotion. I imagine it will be only for "new subs" , but it sounds promising.

Could DISH really be trying to allow you to move HD to other hd tvs in your house via some kind of yet to be released technology? Or is this a way to get 3 hd receivers at no additional upgrade cost ? Except if they do allow more receivers you know it will still include the additional receiver/lease fees and OF COURSE the additional dvr FEES.

Either way it looks interesting and I thought I would pass it on.

www.dishnetwork.com

Last edited:
For quite some time Dish was allowing up to FOUR of The Solo ViP 612 as a lease, effectively for FREE. Yes, 4 dual tuner HD DVR's--that count only as one tuner per box for lease purposes--in one home for FREE/lease. I have a friend who just got his 4 612's as lease last month, and he loves them. So, the news about THREE 612's free, means that Dish is now downgrading the promo? That is bad. I wonder how much extra Dish wants for the 4th 612?

The 612's are bit of a stripped down version of the Duo HD DVR's. The 612's have no PIP, a smaller HDD--less recording capacity--and no 2nd TV experience, although there is an RF 3/4 output. That is how Dish was able to afford to give away 4 of these boxes. The Solo ViP 612 is just like the old 721 with RF3/4, but no PIP, but in HD.

nothing new guys. you have always been able to sign up with one 722 and two 211's or one 222 and two 211's or three 211's if you qualify for a dha24 promotion as a new customer or former customer dha24

Yeah, with FOUR DVR FEES!!! THREE ADDITIONAL OUTLET FEES!!! Yeah, I am sure they would. $6+$7=$13 per month PER ADDITIONAL BOX. That sure adds up.

nothing new guys. you have always been able to sign up with one 722 and two 211's or one 222 and two 211's or three 211's if you qualify for a dha24 promotion as a new customer or former customer dha24
Yep. Although it is much better than D*'s $100 up lease for each additional receiver plus $5/month:rant:

I knew you could get the equipment, I just didn't realize you could get 3 receivers *for free*. When I signed up, it was very clear that 1 HD DVR was free; anything else had to be paid for at the usual $100-$200 rate. I just never saw a promotion that gave you 3; I guess because it says "receivers" and not DVRs.

Yep, it's always been up to four rooms free. A buddy of mine got a 622 and two 211's free two years ago.

Yep. Although it is much better than D*'s $100 up lease for each additional receiver plus $5/month:rant:

You DO understand for the EACH 612, you get hit with BOTH the $5 receiver fee AND the $6 DVR fee!

So, how is that BETTER than D*'s $5 fee per DVR, but ONLY 1 DVR fee per account - even assuming a $100 upfront fee, eventually you're paying MORE w/E*, as Stargazer points out. :confused:

You DO understand for the EACH 612, you get hit with BOTH the $5 receiver fee AND the $6 DVR fee!
Actually it's worse! It's a $5 DVR fee and a $7 additional HD receiver (or lease) fee. I'm paying 2 X $12 for 2 VIP612's.

Yes this has been the case for a long time now.

What Dish is trying to promote is the 612/2-211's. If you want to have DVR functionality on the 2nd or 3rd TV and you don't want to pay $12 extra a month just go to an external hard drive. You will have all the DVR functions without the extra $6 a month DVR fee.

Just an idea.

Can you hookup different external hard drives if you fill one up on a 211? I wish they would do this for the 222 then it would be as good as a 722.

So, how is that BETTER than D*'s $5 fee per DVR, but ONLY 1 DVR fee per account - even assuming a $100 upfront fee, eventually you're paying MORE w/E*, as Stargazer points out. :confused:

$33 per month in fees....OUCH..
BUt if one goes out and drops a few thousand on HD tv's, the additional monthly expense probably does not mean that much to them.

BTW the other day we got a work order for one 722k and FOUR 222k's...The tech said the house was huge...10 tv's connected..He was there for a good while....8 hrs...

Some people can afford to dump a few grand on an HD TV (many you get get for under a grand now, even $500 or less) because they saved money by NOT having to pay the gouging fees!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)