Enable Ethernet on HWS

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
I have a 2 hopper system with an HWS and a standard Hopper. I have 2 joeys wired, and one wireless (unofficially).

My HWS is connected over Wifi, and the download speeds are horrible (3-4 mb/s). I have an ethernet connection near the hopper, and I speedtested it at 51 mb/s. I plugged the HWS in, but the ethernet selections in the network menu are greyed out. Is there anything I need to do to get the HWS to "see" the hardwired connection? TIA for your help!

Enter an incorrect password on the hws wifi to disconnect wifi...
You might need to reboot to find wired connection.
It cannot do both simultaniously and you dont get a specific menu to choose.

Thanks. Do you know if the wireless dongle on the Joey will still work if the HWS is connected over ethernet?

Thanks. Do you know if the wireless dongle on the Joey will still work if the HWS is connected over ethernet?

Yes, it's connecting to your router and not the HWS.

You won't need it. Just enable bridging on the HWS and the Joey will be connected to the Internet via Moca.

I think he's using the wireless dongle as the only Joey connection, no Moca.

Thanks JSheridan, that is exactly what I am doing. That is I called it an (unofficial) wireless Joey :).

I was just worried that "Ethernet top" was greyed out. I will plug it in and reset the HWS and see if that does the trick.

Thanks!

Even if it picks up the ethernet connection, it won't disable the wireless connection and having both will cause problems. You have to re-enter the WiFi password - do it wrong a few times and it will drop it.

Thanks JSheridan, that is exactly what I am doing. That is I called it an (unofficial) wireless Joey :).

I was just worried that "Ethernet top" was greyed out. I will plug it in and reset the HWS and see if that does the trick.

Thanks!

You're welcome and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. Do you think this will improve my download speeds on the Hopper?
Hit Menu, Settings, Network Setup, Tests, Test Connection. It will report the broadband speed it can do (guessing it does it's own version of speedtest.net or something). Mine, on WiFi, reaches 15+ Mb/s and my cable internet is 15, so, pretty good, IMO...

Hit Menu, Settings, Network Setup, Tests, Test Connection. It will report the broadband speed it can do (guessing it does it's own version of speedtest.net or something). Mine, on WiFi, reaches 15+ Mb/s and my cable internet is 15, so, pretty good, IMO...
I got 50+ with wired lan
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)