End DISH Commitment Early?

msgph

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Hello,

Through some unfortunate circumstances, we're being forced to cut our household costs. Even more unfortunately, my precious DISH has to be on the chopping block. I either need to cut my DISH bill dramatically, or all the way. Here is my current plan:

DISH VOD SERVICE FEE 4.98
DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AT180, 3 RCVRS, LOCALS 63.98

I have a 322 (two tv's on one receiver), a basic unit and a DVR.

I believe that my commitment with the installer is until this fall and I think it has a huge fee if I try to bail early. What are my options? How low can I get my DISH bill without breaking my commitment to the installer and DISH? Any ideas are appreciated and welcomed!

Thanks!

Can you get your locals via rabbit ear? If so, that's almost 6 bucks chopped off right there. Can you downgrade to the AT 120 without penalty? If so, there's another 10 bucks there. Is VOD on demand that important? If not and you can drop it, there's another 5 bucks.

In other words, if you can get buy with just the AT 120, do it.

Good Luck to you!

The minumum commitment is usually 12 months of AT60. If your commitment is up in the Fall, you can switch to AT120 or AT60 until then, saving $10 or $20 per month, repectively. You can knock of another $5 for each receiver you remove, and an additonal $5 for knocking off the DVR.

So, if you drop down to AT60 with only the 322 receiver, you could save $35 per month. (However, the original agreement MAY have stated that you need to keep all the receivers activated for the 12 months. You should double-check. If that's the case, then you'll still save $20 with AT120)

garn9173 said:
Can you get your locals via rabbit ear? If so, that's almost 6 bucks chopped off right there. Can you downgrade to the AT 120 without penalty? If so, there's another 10 bucks there. Is VOD on demand that important? If not and you can drop it, there's another 5 bucks.

In other words, if you can get buy with just the AT 120, do it.

Good Luck to you!

Locals OTA are no problem. I can do that. VOD may not be that easy to drop, as I think that I have to keep all three receivers for the term of the contract. With one of them being a DVR, I doubt that I can get rid of the DVR fee. I think that I can drop the DISH package all the way down to the minimum, but I'll have to check that out to be sure.

Thanks!

You should be able to drop to AT60 without penelty, anything below that would involve some fees.

You cant drop the DVR fees as long as you have a billable DVR on account you will get charged the fee (as there is no way for them to turn off the DVR functions) (There really should be a lawsuit about that)

However with that said always check with your dealer who installed your system, they may be able to work with you to help you save money while making sure they don't loose money as well. :)

GaryPen said:
(However, the original agreement MAY have stated that you need to keep all the receivers activated for the 12 months. You should double-check. If that's the case, then you'll still save $20 with AT120)

That is the part that I'll have to double check. If I can drop all but one receiver and pull our locals OTA, then that may be the best solution. I'll get the contract at home tomorrow and see if the committment is for all receivers or just one.

Thanks for the tips...

Scott Greczkowski said:
However with that said always check with your dealer who installed your system, they may be able to work with you to help you save money while making sure they don't loose money as well. :)

Hi Scott,

What should I ask the dealer? I'm not familiar with how the dealers are paid and any penalties that their recieve. What would a fair solution for them be?

Obviously I made a commitment and intend to stick to it, but any dime I can save would be helpful.

Tell them you need to cut back service but want to cut back without them getting charged back for all the work they have done for you. Again you can probably go to AT60 with no problems, but always good to check with the dealer to avoid any penalties to you and to the dealer. :)

You need to keep it atleast 6 months, since after that time the dealer is off the hook with Dish for the equipment and only stand to loose $150 in commissions.

Here is how much we dealers get f**ked by Dish....

1-90 Days $300 plus all Equipment Monies
90-180 Days $225 Plus all Equipment Monies
180-270 Days $150
270-360 Days $75
360 Days and there after $0

Anything before 6 months is going to result in a several hundred dollar chargeback and your going to have that dealer beating down your door!

My suggestion is keep it atleast 6 months, call him up and pay him $150 for cancelling early since that is what he will be out with Dish when they charge him back!

With that said 180 days is the majority of it, one the 181st Day you could deactivate additional receivers off your account without penalty as long as you don't deactivate the Primary. If you deactivate the additionals before 180 days, the dealer will get charged back, and to be honest we don't want used equipment back in our stores from customers, and would much rather you send it back to Dish and let them deal with it.

Claude Greiner said:
You need to keep it atleast 6 months, since after that time the dealer is off the hook with Dish for the equipment and only stand to loose $150 in commissions.

Here is how much we dealers get f**ked by Dish....

1-90 Days $300 plus all Equipment Monies
90-180 Days $225 Plus all Equipment Monies
180-270 Days $150
270-360 Days $75
360 Days and there after $0

Anything before 6 months is going to result in a several hundred dollar chargeback and your going to have that dealer beating down your door!

My suggestion is keep it atleast 6 months, call him up and pay him $150 for cancelling early since that is what he will be out with Dish when they charge him back!

With that said 180 days is the majority of it, one the 181st Day you could deactivate additional receivers off your account without penalty as long as you don't deactivate the Primary. If you deactivate the additionals before 180 days, the dealer will get charged back, and to be honest we don't want used equipment back in our stores from customers, and would much rather you send it back to Dish and let them deal with it.

Claude,

I never realized how bad the dealers were getting hosed on this deal. Good lord, I can see why they have such high penalties for early cancellation. Are the dealers paid a montly commission, or is it an upfront one for the year, and they charged back if the customer cancels?

Thanks very much for the information.

Related question ... I have about six months left on my Dish yearly AT150 sub, and would greatly like to get rid of Dish this month and move to DirecTV. Is there any way I can get any money back on a yearly sub, or any way to switch to a month-by-month plan and then cancel? Can I switch to AT60 for the rest of my year to minimize my loss? Or am I stuck until January 2005?

(I wouldn't mind taking a bit of a loss to switch now, but $250 is a bit much.)

Just call your retailer and see what you can work out.

You can certainly downgrade to AT60 w/locals for $29.99 month. (Since you are on DHA the locals are included even if you can get them OTA.)

After you have been active for over 6 months you should be able to return the DVR510 and whichever basic box you have (311/301/111) to DISH network without any penalty to you or the dealer.

The 322 is the primary receiver on your acct. That may be the only one you need to keep activated for the period you agreed with your dealer.

jrbdmb said:
Related question ... I have about six months left on my Dish yearly AT150 sub, and would greatly like to get rid of Dish this month and move to DirecTV. Is there any way I can get any money back on a yearly sub, or any way to switch to a month-by-month plan and then cancel? Can I switch to AT60 for the rest of my year to minimize my loss? Or am I stuck until January 2005?

(I wouldn't mind taking a bit of a loss to switch now, but $250 is a bit much.)
Call DISH and ask they have prorated some customers others have been told sorry. Seeing you want to go to their competetitor I would guess at SORRY. I have been with Directv for a year this month, due to Club Dish credits I have a credit balance that has been paying for my 508 and AT-60 for over a year and I still have about 6 months before DISH finds out I left them. I can't get paid for my credits but I can use them up and keep refreshing my memory why directv is so good. :)

JohnDoe#2 said:
After you have been active for over 6 months you should be able to return the DVR510 and whichever basic box you have (311/301/111) to DISH network without any penalty to you or the dealer.

The 322 is the primary receiver on your acct. That may be the only one you need to keep activated for the period you agreed with your dealer.

I have been activer for more than 6 months. I called my dealer today and he did recommend the drop to AT60 w/o locals. I have the older DHP plan, not the new DHA, so I think I don't have to have locals.

Now, I asked him about the receivers and he said that I had to keep all three receivers on my account, otherwise it was a breach of contract. Is this accurate, or did he just not realize that I was after the six month mark?

Thanks!

hall said:
6 more months at $29.99 is $180. What's the $$$ penalty if you outright cancelled *today* ??

The DHP form from DISH says $240. However, the Programming Commitment Form from the dealer states an ungodly amount. The contract states, "By signing this agreement, I acknowldge that in the event...or do anything with my account at DISH Network that causes a chargeback...$750 additional will be charged for a 3 receiver system." So in other words, $990 to cancel today. Not a real option :)

Besides, I really don't want to screw the retailer and cost him a great deal of money either, it's not his fault. He kept is end of the bargain.

msgph said:
I have been activer for more than 6 months. I called my dealer today and he did recommend the drop to AT60 w/o locals. I have the older DHP plan, not the new DHA, so I think I don't have to have locals.

Now, I asked him about the receivers and he said that I had to keep all three receivers on my account, otherwise it was a breach of contract. Is this accurate, or did he just not realize that I was after the six month mark?

Thanks!
Well I assumed you were on DHA since you have a 322. Not many of them were put in as part of the prior DHP program.

If you are actually on DHP you can turn off the locals and save the $5mo but your retailer is on the hook for 12 months for the eqmt and, therefore, so are you. He is liable for chargebacks for the whole year.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Well I assumed you were on DHA since you have a 322. Not many of them were put in as part of the prior DHP program.

If you are actually on DHP you can turn off the locals and save the $5mo but your retailer is on the hook for 12 months for the eqmt and, therefore, so are you. He is liable for chargebacks for the whole year.

I have to say that I've learned a lot about how bad the dealer really gets screwed selling DISH, and probably DirecTV/cell phones as well. DISH really doesn't have a whole lot of liability - it is all on the dealer.

msgph Boy are you right about the liability DISH has put on us dealers. Thankfully Directv isn't as bad but the still hold us for 365 days but they do prorate by the months of service the customer has received.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)