End of Life Receivers

I just got an email from Dish today stating that the 3900 model will stop working on May 2015.
Also, the current dish setup I have will need to be changed.

we are moving some of our programming to a newer satellite. The location at which your dish is pointed
will no longer carry certain programming, so your dish will need to be pointed to a new location.

anyone know about the above statement? I have a dish500 setup. (119/110)

It's possible that the dish/LNB are fine but they'll replace your receiver with an HD-capable one and in turn, a dish that points at another satellite (129, depends on your location) to give you more channels, including your locals (in HD).

Not necessarily - if I'm not mistaken, if Dish installs an HD receiver, the system automatically pushes a 1000.X dish, does it not ? He could remain pointed at 110/119 with the addition of 129 now.

On the other hand, are they giving everyone HD receivers or could he receive a 311 or something ?

It is possible for him to get a 311. Remember a few weeks ago, someone came on here and ended up with a 311? We had the big discussion then too. If he needs migrated, then he needs a 211 and a EA dish. I don't think either one of us are actually wrong, we just need more info. Where is the OP at would probably be the biggest thing.

I got a notice about reciever as well. It's my 501D. I have a ton of recordings on there, but I am assuming there is no way to back them up before getting a new receiver?

I got a notice about reciever as well. It's my 501D. I have a ton of recordings on there, but I am assuming there is no way to back them up before getting a new receiver?

You should be able to watch recordings from your 501 after they deactivate. I still occasionally look at stuff from my 510 that has been off for years.

Reactions: dishrich and Hall
They shouldn't want the DVR's back so that would give you a chance to watch them. I remember one time having two DVR's connected into each other and a discussion where others done the same thing, having the tv out put into antenna in and selecting the tv/video button to flip back and forth between them on a 721 receiver I believe. I think the 721 had video input buttons or maybe that was the Dishplayer, that would let you hit channel 0 to go to the device (in my case another DVR). I would have recordings on each of them.

You should be able to watch recordings from your 501 after they deactivate. I still occasionally look at stuff from my 510 that has been off for years.
They took away a 501 that was replaced by 8PSK. In sure hope they let him keep it to watch. The person I know who had the 501 taken away wasn't home, but it was his daughter who was there and she didn't know anything about anything and just let him take the 501 away.

I am in Buffalo. I really don't want another dish on my apartment.
I have a new 512 receiver I got for Christmas last year. Would I be able to use that?

Trying to ask dish questions is like pulling teeth!

what dish/switch setup do I need?
I am in Buffalo area, presently I have a dish500 setup and have had it
for almost 15 years.
You are western arc and SD programming is what you are receiving so unless you are upgrading to HD your dish and 512 should remain the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)