End of the antenna?

For some time cable and satellite had been eroding the OTA market, but with prices escalating, OTA is starting to come back.

IP TV has little or no price advantage over cable/sat, so I don't see it as a worthy competitor to OTA, especially to places where high speed internet is quite expensive.

Reactions: danristheman
IP TV has little or no price advantage over cable/sat, so I don't see it as a worthy competitor to OTA, especially to places where high speed internet is quite expensive.

Agreed. In the majority of the country, the internet is controlled by the cable company. Price of internet only is climbing to quickly match the price of internet plus TV.

Why was Aereo so popular? Younger generation is all internet content. I believe this will disrupt the OTA market. We must have an internet connection in this connected world., TV programming is just an extension of it, a very cheap one compared to cable/satellite.

Why was Aereo so popular? Younger generation is all internet content. I believe this will disrupt the OTA market. We must have an internet connection in this connected world., TV programming is just an extension of it, a very cheap one compared to cable/satellite.

It turned out that Aereo was not very popular, they actually had very few subs.

Internet "cable" will still have the high per channel licensing fees. They will also have to negotiate the same contracts as DBS/Cable. This will force bloated packages and such that they really will not be a lot cheaper then cable. It might be more convenient, but not save you a lot of money. I do not think that it will disrupt OTA. OTA channels are some of the most expensive to license.

It turned out that Aereo was not very popular, they actually had very few subs.

Internet "cable" will still have the high per channel licensing fees. They will also have to negotiate the same contracts as DBS/Cable. This will force bloated packages and such that they really will not be a lot cheaper then cable. It might be more convenient, but not save you a lot of money. I do not think that it will disrupt OTA. OTA channels are some of the most expensive to license.
How much does Hulu, Netflix, service cost? 7/8 bucks? Most Programming is going to be "On Demand" . Aereo was popular enough to make it to the Supreme Court and expose some of the Tom foolery that is going on. With all the local programming that will be put on the net, you can bet that it will be shared with others. All the younger generation that I speak with, are internet based TV watchers, spending no more 10/15 bucks a month. Fringe areas with troublesome antenna installs with high cost will be the first to go. Disruptive technology will take its toll, the cat is out of the bag, Watch the next few months, some amazing things are going to be happening.

Internet is bad here pricing wise mediacom has a 250 gig data limit. Frontier you have to have a credit check plus get qualifying phone service. Every provider bundles you with services you don't need or don't want.

Frontier tries to make you think you have to have phone service too, but you don't I know several that were told that. I told them to call back and tell them they don't want phone and ask to speak to a super. They all have inet only.

I back KE4EST on that one. Frontier does not require phone for DSL. Verizon used to before Frontier bought their landline business out I believe. I also think you can bundle just the internet with Dish.

I'll look into frontier again but all the adds I get say with qualifying phone service. You can get Internet with out phone service but its going to cost you.

I'll look into frontier again but all the adds I get say with qualifying phone service. You can get Internet with out phone service but its going to cost you.
Most of the telcos and some of the cable companies have done this all along. Bundling is how they hope to keep you beholden.

Looks like something similar to what Dish is wanting to do, offer television over cellular network. These other companies may end up beating him to the punch if he does not act soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)