Enjoy Selection Sunday - It may never be the same

Well let me be the first to say I like it. It doesn't cheapen anything. When the tournament first expanded to 64 there were only about 300 schools, maybe less in Division I. Now there are over 340 teams and if they let the NIT die and move them to the NCAA I have no problem with that.
I couldn't disagree more. There are no good teams that will be left out this year. In fact several bad teams will get in. If anything, the NCAA should cut the field down. Missouri lost to a Nebraska team that went 2-14 in the Big XII and Wake Forest is getting blown out by Miami, and that's the 2nd time Miami is beating them this year. This is ridiculous. I say cut it down to 56 teams. Better yet, 48. Enough with rewarding these sorry ass teams that lose 6 games in a row yet still get a bid. :rant:

I couldn't disagree more. There are no good teams that will be left out this year. In fact several bad teams will get in. If anything, the NCAA should cut the field down. Missouri lost to a Nebraska team that went 2-14 in the Big XII and Wake Forest is getting blown out by Miami, and that's the 2nd time Miami is beating them this year. This is ridiculous. I say cut it down to 56 teams. Better yet, 48. Enough with rewarding these sorry ass teams that lose 6 games in a row yet still get a bid. :rant:

Couldn't agree more!! :up

They'll always be a "bubble" no matter how many teams qualify.

If 128 teams get in, then teams 129-132 will be bitching about how they got screwed!:rolleyes:

If they go to 96 teams and probably will,the first weekend will be a weekend full of play-in like games. Like the one we have now for the 65 and 64 teams. It will be like having another bracket buster weekend full of mid majors playing each other. I guarantee you CBS/ABC/ESPN or whoever has the tourney will play up the fact that this is the weekend for the "little guys" to shine on a national stage. Whoopeee! (as my eyes roll)

If they go to 96 teams and probably will,the first weekend will be a weekend full of play-in like games. Like the one we have now for the 65 and 64 teams. It will be like having another bracket buster weekend full of mid majors playing each other. I guarantee you CBS/ABC/ESPN or whoever has the tourney will play up the fact that this is the weekend for the "little guys" to shine on a national stage. Whoopeee! (as my eyes roll)

I think they will all play on the Tuesday before. They won't make the tournament 3 weekends and cause the teams not playing to be off for more than a week without playing.

I think they will all play on the Tuesday before. They won't make the tournament 3 weekends and cause the teams not playing to be off for more than a week without playing.
Since it will be the same number of games (32) as the current first round, they'll likely spread them on Tues/Wed, those teams would then feed into the current Thur/Fri games followed by Sat/Sun to complete the first week(end) of games.

Problem is, the new first round will have so many lesser teams, that the ratings will be non-existent, pretty much like the Big East's first round.

There's plenty of possible scenarios out there. Here's another:

But the potential expansion of the NCAA tournament has support in collegiate circles, particularly from college basketball coaches. The idea talked about with TV networks would likely take it from its current field of 65 teams to 96 teams and add another week to the competition, with the top 32 teams receiving byes. The move has been characterized as folding the NIT into the NCAA tournament.

The NCAA clearly expects that the added week of games would significantly increase the tournament’s rights fee. A larger field would mean more content, more scheduling opportunities and theoretically more revenue for the broadcaster and the NCAA, which derives more than 90 percent of its total annual revenue from the tournament’s media deal. Nearly all of that revenue passes through the NCAA and is distributed to its member institutions.

NCAA, TV talk about bigger men's tourney

I think if they do add more teams that they need to reseed after every round.

I figured out one benefit here. This will allow schools to schedule better opponents earlier in the year, since a loss to a top 25 team will not hurt them as much as does now. So instead of Podunk Univ., maybe your team will play more ranked teams in December.This may actually give the regular season more meaning.

I figured out one benefit here. This will allow schools to schedule better opponents earlier in the year, since a loss to a top 25 team will not hurt them as much as does now. So instead of Podunk Univ., maybe your team will play more ranked teams in December.This may actually give the regular season more meaning.
Actually I think the opposite would happen. There are plenty of good games early in the season now, and losing those games doesn't really hurt you. Besides the selection committee has made it known that they expect teams to schedule tough opponents early in the season and they will take that into consideration in March.

If you expand the tournament then it really doesn't matter who you play now does it? Why would UConn play Kentucky and dook? May as well replace them with East Hartford School for the Blind since you'll get a bid anyway. Why would a mid major bother to take on big schools? They could finish 5th in their conference and they'd still get in. No need to play a game you'll likely lose.

Imagine how much fun it will be on Selection Sunday to tune in to find out if your team received a 20-21 seed? :rolleyes:

Sandra

Actually I think the opposite would happen. There are plenty of good games early in the season now, and losing those games doesn't really hurt you. Besides the selection committee has made it known that they expect teams to schedule tough opponents early in the season and they will take that into consideration in March.

If you expand the tournament then it really doesn't matter who you play now does it? Why would UConn play Kentucky and dook? May as well replace them with East Hartford School for the Blind since you'll get a bid anyway. Why would a mid major bother to take on big schools? They could finish 5th in their conference and they'd still get in. No need to play a game you'll likely lose.

They would only be adding 32 more teams, not 200. :rolleyes:

They would only be adding 32 more teams, not 200. :rolleyes:
That would still allow about half of the MVC teams in, nearly all of the ACC teams, including UNC this year, 3-4 more BE teams, and the top 5 from the CAA. I fail to see how that would be an improvement.

That would still allow about half of the MVC teams in, nearly all of the ACC teams, including UNC this year, 3-4 more BE teams, and the top 5 from the CAA. I fail to see how that would be an improvement.

For me, it would be painful to see St. John's rewarded after another bad season, and the romance of following Utah State's journey to see if they can compete with the big guys would be a moot point. :(

Sandra

nope - you're way off. why? because "BCS" schools pay out for these wins. Why pay East Buttmunch St when you can play dook for free (assuming you play them in NY/NJ, because K won't come to Storrs).

The only good thing I can see coming out of a 96 team tournament and the abolition of the NIT, is that Madison Square Garden can finally host NCAA tournament games. That would be a very good thing.

Sandra

Unlikely, given how much it would cost to host there (think of teams / bands /cheerleaders all staying on the tab in NYC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts