Enjoy Selection Sunday - It may never be the same

After seeing all the mediocre teams getting into the tournament this year, I have changed my mind a little bit. I think they should not go to 96 teams, but I think all the 16 seed games should be play-in games.

After seeing all the mediocre teams getting into the tournament this year, I have changed my mind a little bit. I think they should not go to 96 teams, but I think all the 16 seed games should be play-in games.

DISAGREE big time!

the play-in game should be for the last AT LARGE bids, not conference tourney champs. unfair that someone who legitimately earned a bid has to "play in"

DISAGREE big time!

the play-in game should be for the last AT LARGE bids, not conference tourney champs. unfair that someone who legitimately earned a bid has to "play in"

The play-in game is part of the tournament and gives teams that would otherwise never win a tournament game the chance to win a game, like my alma mater Morehead State did last year.:D

Looks more than ever that it's going to happen, the only question is will it be in place for next season or 2014??

Shaheen said three different models were under consideration -- leaving things as they are with 65 teams or moving to a field of 68 or 96 -- and then spent 99.9 percent of his speech explaining how 96 teams would work and why it will work.

The convoluted plan goes like this: The tournament would begin on a Thursday or Friday, as it always does, but only teams seeded 33 through 96 would play on those days. The winners would face teams 1 through 32 on Saturday or Sunday.

The winners of those games advance to the second round, to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday, with the Sweet 16 continuing Thursday and Friday, as always.

In other words, if we had had a 96-team bracket this season, ninth-seeded Northern Iowa would have been playing its third game in six days when it squared off against top-seeded Kansas.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5048513"]NCAA tournament: What's behind NCAA tournament expansion? Cold, hard cash - ESPN[/ame]

The NCAA is on the verge of expanding the men's basketball tournament from 65 to 68 teams beginning next year and has a new, $10.8 billion TV deal that will allow it to show every game live.

The NCAA said Thursday that the Division I Men's Basketball Committee unanimously passed the proposal and it will now be reviewed by the Board of Directors on April 29.

The NCAA also said it reached a new, 14-year agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting System Inc. that is worth more than $10.8 billion. The deal, which runs from 2011 through 2024, will show every game live across four national networks for the first time.

NCAA on verge of 68-team men's tournament - ESPN

68 teams is a done deal, with coverage split between CBS & Turner.

CBS Sports, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and the National Collegiate Athletic Association Reach 14-Year Agreement for Division I Men's Basketball Championship - NCAA.org

INDIANAPOLIS--- The NCAA today announced a new 14-year television, internet and wireless rights agreement with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., to present the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship beginning in 2011 through 2024 for more than $10.8 billion. As part of the agreement, all games will be shown live across four national networks beginning in 2011 – a first for the 73-year old championship.
Additionally, CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting have been licensed and will collaborate on the NCAA’s corporate marketing program.

Late Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Committee unanimously passed a recommendation to the Division I Board of Directors to increase tournament field size to 68 teams beginning with the 2011 Championship. The recommendation will be reviewed by the Division I Board of Directors at its April 29 meeting.

Now, the question is:

Who gets into the play-in games? is it the bottom 8 automatics (boooooo), or the last 4 in vs last 4 out (WOOOOOHOOOOO)

Making teams who won conference tournaments play their way in is a travesty.

Now, the question is:

Who gets into the play-in games? is it the bottom 8 automatics (boooooo), or the last 4 in vs last 4 out (WOOOOOHOOOOO)

Making teams who won conference tournaments play their way in is a travesty.
I agree, it should be the 8 lowest at-large seeds.

It will not be. The NCAA will go with 16 vs 17. My guess would be 2 DH on Tuesdays, one in Dayton and one somewhere on the east coast since the kidding themselves by being Div I conferences are in the northeast. Maybe Albany or Springfield.

I agree, it should be the 8 lowest at-large seeds.

I disagree. With the 16 seeds playing in the opening round game, it actually gives these teams an opportunity to win a "winnable" game. Many teams that have played in the "play-in" game have NCAA Tournament wins on their resume, but would not have if they would not have had these games.

These games are official Tournament Games and are actually called Opening Round, not "play-in". That is just something
the media has called them.

I disagree. With the 16 seeds playing in the opening round game, it actually gives these teams an opportunity to win a "winnable" game. Many teams that have played in the "play-in" game have NCAA Tournament wins on their resume, but would not have if they would not have had these games.

These games are official Tournament Games and are actually called Opening Round, not "play-in". That is just something

You think the same way I do.:up

This is great news. Now every game is going to be shown live as well.

It it a done deal that it stays at 68 teams for the entire 14 year contract?

Sandra

Having 4 of them vs. 1 makes this slightly better. I think the "play-in" media naming is justified: why should 2 of the 16's have to play each other to face a 1 seed, when 3 of the others don't? It was a play-in, in that respect.

Making all of the 16's play to advance really would make this an "opening round" , and not a "play in."

I will would prefer the at-larges going at it, though, as it would make for better basketball.

It's now official:

The NCAA's Board of Directors approved an expanded men's basketball tournament Thursday, passing a proposal that will take the field from 65 teams to 68 next season.

Still to be determined: How the format will work.

The board is hoping that by adding three opening-round games to the one already played, it will eliminate the stigma of a what outsiders have dubbed the tourney's "play-in" game.

Thanks to the new 14-year, $10.8 billion television package with CBS and Turner Broadcasting, announced last week, fans will be able to choose which games they want to watch. It will be the first time that every game will be televised live nationally.

Field of 68: NCAA OKs expanded men's tourney - ESPN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)