Enter to Win: Sponsors Super Satellite Sampler System - Contest Ends 2.28.2010

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Depending on the friend and what they are interested in or what their cultural background was; I would tell them about all the unique channels available. For example, if they had a Chinese girlfriend, I would let them know they could setup a simple unmotorized Ku dish to pick up CCTV. I would also let them know about the possibility of finding something ITC and all the unique wildfeeds they might be able to pick up.

--

Had a C-band sub for years through Turnervision. When things started to slow, we switched to the small dish. The BUD just sat for years, rarely being used. I was looking into using the BUD for satellite internet, when I discovered the FTA forum. Once I saw all the digital programming available, with the potential for wildfeeds etc, I was hooked.

• What got you interested to purchase your first Free to Air satellite system?

Well I was working for Dish as an installer when I added Dish to a house that had a BUD. When I asked about the BUD I was shown the possibilities with FTA and have been hooked ever since.

What got you interested to purchase your first Free to Air satellite system? Like so many others this site has me looking into FTA.

Response to Time Warner Cable rep

TWCR: I would like to provide you with an offer to stop using that big dish.

JSB: No you couldn't make me do that.

TWCR: C'mon there can't be that much up there.

JSB: Yes! In fact the sports feeds from the actual sites of sporting events go there first, go to NYC, get fed back up to the satellite and then get fed to the cable companies. I get the feed long before TW does.

TWCR: Really?

JSB: Yes, in fact I get channels, in languages I don't even understand but that doesn't mean I'm not entertained. I'm great at adlib and think some of my story lines for spanish, armenian and chinese soap operas are more entertaining than that "Must see TV" ever thought about being.

TWCR: Cool. How much does that cost per month? Where can I get one?

JSB: Nothing per month and if you go to satelliteguys.us you can find out more about it and they have sponsors that sell different types of equipment.

TWCR: satelliteguys.us huh? Thanks.

• What would you tell a friend or co-worker to interest them in owning a Free To Air satellite system?
I not only tell my friends about FTA I show them so they can see all the good stuff up there. I have ordered and installed now 4 ku systems 3 motorized one fixed for different family members. I have also installed 2 more motorized for friends whom order the systems after seen mine. All came from SattelliteAV and Sadoun by the way both handle the orders very well a couple of glitches but quick responses from both.

• What got you interested to purchase your first Free to Air satellite system?

Back in the mid 80's my neighbor had an 8 footer system one day he asked me if I want to buy and to the "delight" of my wife I did had a couple of friends help me get it over the fence the pole we dug up cement and all and rolled it over from his yard to mine (took a few beers) sadly living in Florida one of the many hurricanes destroyed the dish. Which is why I want an bigger dish to get back to Cband and the rest of the goodies ..
so pick me pick me pick me!!! LOL

The possibility of viewing more and different channels got me interested in buying my first FTA setup.

On my Dish Network 250 channel subscription, there are only about a dozen or so channels worth watching. I have little interest in watching the rest of the channels. They package some good stuff with a bunch of junk. Many of these other channels I will never watch.

After seeing the pay programs I watch for the second time or so, there's nothing good to see.

This got me interested in finding something else... FTA is a welcome change.

What got you interested to purchase your first Free to Air satellite system?

I got a fixed dish off of craigslist because I was moving to a house where there was no cable and the only option was overpriced satellite TV, and at that time I had read somewhere online that there was a lot of programming available via Ku. Once I haunted this forum for a while and checked out The List I was really sold on it because of Montana PBS. My family is from Wyo and Montana and I lived there many years. Then I bought a motor and could actually see everything up there. I was hooked. You can't get entertainment like this (feeds, sports, foreign, and local Montana and Wyoming news) anywhere!

I got my first FTA system to watch distant network stations and feeds. I've always enjoyed receiving distant off the air channels. With an FTA system, distance and antenna height were no longer a problem.

If I was trying to get someone else interested in an FTA system, I would simply show them a list of what's available. There are always stations coming and going, but it seems there is always something that is appealing to most anyone.

Why FTA?

Two reasons: no monthly fee and foreign language stations in Italian, Portuguese, French, and (later) Chinese.

Now there's a third reason: free giveaways.

That's a lot of stuff!
"What would you tell a friend or co-worker to interest them in owning a Free To Air satellite system?"

I would say:
Want to watch TV, but something different; something you don't usually see on the local channels or cable or major satellite providers, and no subscription fees?
Are you a do-it-yourself-er?
FTA is the way to go!

Great contest!
-C.

prize

I got interested in f.t.a because I retired and now I am on a fixed income
I have enjoyed the challenge of searching and viewing the the many channels that I have discovered.
I always sing the blessings of f.t.a and I tell all that will listen that this and o.t.a. can be the best replacement for other forms of t.v. watching
I plan to expand my Knowledge through satellite guys and other info sites

What got you interested to purchase your first Free to Air satellite system?

It looked interesting (something more than the big networks) and it was a challenge (it took more than just paying a monthly fee).

Hi I bought my first C-band system in 1979 and it was a 10 ft solid fiberglass dish about 3/8 " thick on a 6" post. Now i have a 10ft mesh and a 8 1/2ft solid alum. I have a Viewsat max hd and a Viewsat 2000 ultra. I would tell anyone that this FTA is better than Dish or Direct tv and I have more fun with this system than the could ever give me. I have learne a lot from the SatelliteGuys sit and learn more every day.

Thanks Jsenters

I tell friends and co-workers about the variety of international programming on 97W (and have helped a couple of people get set up with FTA systems).

My own interest developed initially from wanting to get NASA TV on DN to watch spacewalks during the final Hubble space telescope repair mission. After getting some good advice at satelliteguys, I rapidly expanded my interest to all Ku FTA. I will hopefully further expand to the world of C-band.

I have always been interested in FTA but cost kept me away. Finally in 1997 when the small DBS dishes dropped in price I got Dish network and later DirecTV.

I retired from my job/career last Friday, January 29, 2010. I now have time to start a new hobby and can't think of a better one! (unless they start making Heathkits again) :)

I wonder how many peoples really watch all those channels they subscribe from Dish or DTV, I know I only watch a handful channels only, thats say paying the money each month and only watch few channels, its very expensive. FTA give another option and can watch the progams you like without paying each month, you will amazing how much you save on each year.

If I get this, it will give me a whole lots to play with.

I have been trying to get friends/neighbors to install a FTA system. I tell them the local college team's sports feeds are on satellite and without commercials but for some reason they'd still prefer to go to the sportsbar to watch the games.

As for me, I got into "FTA" in 1989 to watch baseball games (large c-band dish got me started and I added Ku-band not too long after that).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)