Enterprise on HDNET vs. SciFi

sigmtr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Central IL
Just watched an episode on HDNET that was full-screen, and always looks pretty good there. Then over to SciFi for their Monday night quad of eps and it was all SD!

So we clamored for SciFi and they don't source anything but BSG in HD? Will the same hold true for Stargate Atlantis? I've seen re-runs of it on Universal or HDNET and they also look fine there. To my eye it's not stretched, but I could be mistaken.

sigmtr

I was also a little disappointed that Enterprise seemed to be the SD version.
I was hoping someone just forgot to flip a switch somewhere and it's not a licensing thing.
Does Enterprise appear the same way on D* when watching Sci-Fi HD? I'm assuming it does and this was not some weird goof on E*'s part.

"Will the same hold true for Stargate Atlantis" - I think people have already said SGA's being broadcast on Friday were HD.

Or the reality is what we suspected long ago.... Sci Fi was never really ready to go HD (I remember speaking with a woman at Sci Fi Publicity in January 2007 when it was announced by DirecTV at CES that they would be bringing Sci Fi HD in 2007; and she seemed honestly shocked by the announcement). Anyways... the reality is that Sci Fi is like a lot of the cable channels. Under pressure to go HD, but not really ready to do it right. Lets see.... TNT, A&E, Sci Fi... Cartoon Network (with reports of nothing really in HD); CNN with only its New York Studio in HD; and on and on.... We get spoiled by channels like Discovery, HDNET, Science, Nat Geo, which broadcast good HD.

Then there is Food HD, which initially had its own HD channel, but with a fraction of the normal Food Network offerings (i.e., no Emeril, no Rachel Ray, etc...), but now simulcast, and half the time its upconverted stretch-o-vision.

I am convinced things will get better, but it will take time.

"I am convinced things will get better, but it will take time."

X2 on that.
It's encouraging to see stations like CN and the others that don't really have the content making the plunge anyway. My understanding is that it's a pretty sizable investment on their part. (well, on everyone's part for that matter)
"If you build it, they will come."

Looks like the only shows broadcast in HD on Scifi are: Battlestar Gallactica, ECW, Stargate Atlantis, Flash Gordon and their campy TV movies.

I'm not complaining though, the more HD channels lit up the better. And I have been waiting for ECW in HD. Plus the SD content when not stretched looks a lot better.

USA has in HD: Law and Order: Intent and SVU, Psych, newer episodes of Monk, NCIS, House, WWE Raw, their newer movies and Becker.

The end of SG-1 was broadcast in high def. I have noticed that Scifi still even shows some Full Frame SG-1 when i know S1 episodes were recorded in 16x9. Never figured that one out.

Looks like the only shows broadcast in HD on Scifi are: Battlestar Gallactica, ECW, Stargate Atlantis, Flash Gordon and their campy TV movies.

I was a bit surprised at Enterprise as well. After taking away ECW arent they all basically Sci-Fi channel shows? Perhaps it really is a licensing issue. When licensing a show are SD and HD part of a single deal? Or are they generally negotiated separately?

Then again... at least nothing is stretched.

SciFi does not have the HD rights to Enterprise like HDNET does. SciFi only has the SD rights. This is like deja vu all over again as us D* folk went through this same discussion many times many months ago.

I'm not complaining though, the more HD channels lit up the better. And I have been waiting for ECW in HD. Plus the SD content when not stretched looks a lot better.

USA has in HD: Law and Order: Intent and SVU, Psych, newer episodes of Monk, NCIS, House, WWE Raw, their newer movies and Becker.

now that i think about it WWE was probably pushing sci-fi and usa to go hd because they are shooting all of their stuff in hd , WWE probably ponyed up some money to make that happen also ... just a thought !

The standard def stuff looks worlds better now than it did in overcompressed SD before. I have actually found myself browsing their program guide to see what is on now - something that I have not done in a few years. The commercials, voice-overs, and animations at the bottom of the screen will still probably drive me crazy but I can DVR my way past the commercials.

I was also a little disappointed that Enterprise seemed to be the SD version.
I was hoping someone just forgot to flip a switch somewhere and it's not a licensing thing.
Does Enterprise appear the same way on D* when watching Sci-Fi HD? I'm assuming it does and this was not some weird goof on E*'s part.

"Will the same hold true for Stargate Atlantis" - I think people have already said SGA's being broadcast on Friday were HD.

Was it a new SGA episode? I just checked, and my SGA timer mysteriously disappeared. I hope I didn't miss a new one.

SGA in HD?

When hve you seen SGA in HD on Sci-fi? I have not seen it on the channel lineup lately.

Hope so, SGA is shot in HD 16:9. I will be disapointed if they don't show it that way.

4 months of asking for SciFi HD to get BSG and SGA in HD?? Totally worth it....