Epics/ stars merger?

Let's look at basic cable also: AMC has The Walking Dead (Fall/Winter), Fear The Walking Dead (Spring and Late Summer), and Preacher (Early Summer)

HBO's golden era is gone and until they rebuild the slate to include multiple shows throughout the year that much be watched live they will be an afterthought.

The funny thing about all this is HBO turned down Walking Dead and Preacher, both were offered to HBO first.

Also Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

The funny thing about all this is HBO turned down Walking Dead and Preacher, both were offered to HBO first.

Also Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men and Breaking Bad.
No doubt TWD was a mistake, but the Preacher? Yes, AMC renewed early, but I don't think is has long enough legs for another season. And yes. I've watched all. And quite frankly, it's timer is on the endangered species list.

Probably nothing will come of it, but a firm called WeissLaw LLP is investigating whether or not the board of Starz worked to get the best deal for the shareholders, in other words, if they worked in the shareholder's best interest in approving the acquisition by LionsGate, since the shareholders have not yet voted to approve the deal, this might through a wrench in the works. Here is a link to the article: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/starz-acquisition-may-not-best-151200389.html

Reactions: Tampa8
when did whether Epix and Starz are merging leave the discussion?

Because when you talk about premiums it is always the success of originals.
I know you are talking about HBO and Showtime, but at what point do they become "originals" Starz has been around for 22 years, since 1994. Now, I know that is no where near as long as HBO (1972 launch on terrestrial microwave 1975 on Westar), but I think that Starz has proved is success being the premium service with the second most subscribers after HBO.

I subscribe to all of the movie channels for different reasons. HBO and Epix have me for the movies. Showtime has me for the original series. Cinemax has me for both. Starz and Encore because it's either cheaper or only a few dollars more to have them than not have them with my package. Gives me a chance to see the Pixar CGI movies I guess.

Epix basically has the movies Showtime would have had CBS and Viacom never split. I can't think of a movie I've watched on Showtime recently (or ever), but I just watched four that I've been meaning to check out over the Forth of July weekend. I do however watch just about all of Showtime's original scripted and sports programming, 11 shows total. By far my most watched channel premium or not. HBO's high powered slate of originals never did anything for me. The Soprano's and Six Feet Under were great, Boardwalk Empire I felt was really dry but stuck it out. Currently Silicon Valley is the only thing I care about on there and True Detective if it comes back and if it's the same caliber as season 1. No matter how hard I tried I could not get into Game of Thrones. With a few exceptions, shows that take place in anything but present time do not hold my attention and the whole historical fiction and fantasy fiction sub-genres do not interest me whatsoever. The few originals Cinemax has had are all great and they premier HBO reject movies, some of which I actually want to see. I've watched at least the first half season of a few of Starz's original programming (The Missing, Black Sails, Magic City, Girlfriend Experience) but lost interest quickly.

No doubt TWD was a mistake, but the Preacher? Yes, AMC renewed early, but I don't think is has long enough legs for another season. And yes. I've watched all. And quite frankly, it's timer is on the endangered species list.

To be fair TWD and Preacher would've both been better on HBO with bigger budgets, more nudity/gore/swearing, no penny pinching, no 16 episode seasons, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I subscribe to all of the movie channels for different reasons. HBO and Epix have me for the movies. Showtime has me for the original series. Cinemax has me for both. Starz and Encore because it's either cheaper or only a few dollars more to have them than not have them with my package. Gives me a chance to see the Pixar CGI movies I guess.

Epix basically has the movies Showtime would have had CBS and Viacom never split. I can't think of a movie I've watched on Showtime recently (or ever), but I just watched four that I've been meaning to check out over the Forth of July weekend. I do however watch just about all of Showtime's original scripted and sports programming, 11 shows total. By far my most watched channel premium or not. HBO's high powered slate of originals never did anything for me. The Soprano's and Six Feet Under were great, Boardwalk Empire I felt was really dry but stuck it out. Currently Silicon Valley is the only thing I care about on there and True Detective if it comes back and if it's the same caliber as season 1. No matter how hard I tried I could not get into Game of Thrones. With a few exceptions, shows that take place in anything but present time do not hold my attention and the whole historical fiction and fantasy fiction sub-genres do not interest me whatsoever. The few originals Cinemax has had are all great and they premier HBO reject movies, some of which I actually want to see. I've watched at least the first half season of a few of Starz's original programming (The Missing, Black Sails, Magic City, Girlfriend Experience) but lost interest quickly.

Give Black Sails another try. The First season was a bit Rocky and it's a slow burn but the seasons have gotten better and better and we fans are excited cause the show just now seems to have started to hit its peak.

Because someone said EPIX brand would survive over Starz brand and I said not so fast Starz has original programming and would survive over EPIX. Then HBO got in and we started comparing HBO and Starz.

we are not eve sure there is a merger in the works. One of the owners of Epix is buying Starz but combining the services is speculation on our part. Then we somehow branched out into the HBO/Starz comparison. it was just a comment on how topics evolve around here and threads sometimes totally abandon the original topic.

Reactions: pattykay
we are not eve sure there is a merger in the works. One of the owners of Epix is buying Starz but combining the services is speculation on our part. Then we somehow branched out into the HBO/Starz comparison. it was just a comment on how topics evolve around here and threads sometimes totally abandon the original topic.
From the number of "investigations" going on about whether or not the Starz board pursued the highest offer available for the benefit of the shareholders, it appears that there may be a long row for Lionsgate to hoe in this acquisition. Looks like there may be some doubt as to whether or not a better deal could have came about, this could cause the majority of shareholders to vote against approval of the deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)