Equipment and Fees question.

66mustang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Greeneville,TN
I have a new neighbor and he was asking me about E* service. He knew about the HD for life offer and began asking me questions about it. From what I understand he doesn't want a Hopper. He wants something like a ViP 722k and a ViP 211k. My question is...what would be the DVR fee for this set up and the fee for the 211K?

If he would want to record on an EHD from the 211K, a one time $40 fee,

Does E* provide the EHD or would he have to buy it himself. If he does have to buy it himself, is their a list on compatible EHD's and places you can buy them?
No, he would have to buy himself. No list, just any self powered (w/ AC adapter) EHD, 2T or under. Most here prefer WD.

BTW, a Hopper and Joey would only cost him $3 more per month...and more than worth it. For one thing, sharing recordings.

And the 2nd 722k feed sucks. And the 211 has only one tuner, so you can't watch anything different while recording. So while the cheap Rube Goldberg plan technically works, it's terrible. Even though the OP's neighbor doesn't want a Hopper, it's by far the best option.

Don't use a Joey. Just split the HDMI. Beats the heck out of the RF coming out of TV2.

Feel free to come over and crawl the thru the small opening over the vaulted ceiling between my 2 small attic spaces to run that HDMI. I did it once to run Ethernet/Coax when I bought the house and won't do it again. If I want HD in the office, patio or garage I just use my WDTV and Slingbox350, otherwise the 722 RF out is perfectly fine. When properly setup the RF out on the 722 works well. No it's not HD but it's not grainy snowy analog either.

Plus, not everyone needs or wants Hoppers and Joeys. I'm stingy and would rather spend that extra $60 a year on something else than a Hopper/Joey when a 722 and 211 or 2 211's will work just as well. I've been tempted to upgrade, but the crap on paytv just isn't worth it anymore and the constant fees for everything is getting out of hand too. More than likely the 722 or the 211 will be deactivated soon. I really only need 1 receiver to watch sports and 2 or 3 cable shows.

A Hopper and Joey only feeds two TVs though, not three like the 722k and 211z setup.
While it is true that one no longer get an independent SD feed, he can still duplicate the output on each receiver via the A/V jacks. I'm feeding 5 TV's with a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I just had to buy a pair of Nyrius NY-GS10 transmitter/receivers ($60 apiece). You could also duplicate the HDMI signals wirelessly but you're looking at spending a lot more with the Nyrius Aries HDMI transmitter/receivers ($220 apiece) and HDMI splitters ($23 apiece).

If he records multiple shows per night, a Hopper and a super Joey are the way to go. I haven't had a single conflict or had to search for repeated airings of shows that I watch. It is much more convenient even though it is a little more expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)