Equipment and Fees question.

Whoa boys!!! The OP is only asking for a friend. So, why not we suggest the friend join the forum and ask questions that actually pertain to him. So, 66mustang, I suggest you not be a third party and have your friend join the discussion, since it is about HIM.

Reactions: ChadT41
In that case I would recommend what you said, and equipment/DVR fees would be a total of $14. Hypothetically, if he went hopper and 2 joeys, it would be $26.

Reactions: darrengs
Whoa boys!!! The OP is only asking for a friend. So, why not we suggest the friend join the forum and ask questions that actually pertain to him. So, 66mustang, I suggest you not be a third party and have your friend join the discussion, since it is about HIM.
This is my first post so here goes. I'm the neighbor 66 mustang spoke of. The reason for the set up I'm wanting is because I only have 2 HD TV's. One in the living room and in my son's room. Doing the math the 722k and the 211k would be the route I would want to go.

The math should also take into consideration whether a $5 increase in monthly fees is worth having a shared DVR, shared recordings and shared tuners (with PTAT) at both TVs.

Reactions: TheKrell
He has 3 TV's but plans to use the 722k in single mode. The 211k will be used in his teen-age son's room.
The math should also take into consideration whether a $5 increase in monthly fees is worth having a shared DVR, shared recordings and shared tuners (with PTAT) at both TVs.
I can also see the benefit of NOT sharing with a teenage son.:wink

Reactions: TheKrell
You might want to open up your choice of receivers, 722K and 211K are going to be remanufactured receivers. Both are years out of production, 211Z and Hopper with sling are probably the only new receivers in DISH's lineup. Depending on what you want to accomplish 2 VIP 612s could be a better deal that is a receiver with built in hard drive 2 satellite tuners and one OTA tuner with a single TV output.

Also 2, 211Z receivers with external hard drives converting it to a DVR (one time $40 fee per account) could satisfy your needs.

Feel free to come over and crawl the thru the small opening over the vaulted ceiling between my 2 small attic spaces to run that HDMI. I did it once to run Ethernet/Coax when I bought the house and won't do it again. If I want HD in the office, patio or garage I just use my WDTV and Slingbox350, otherwise the 722 RF out is perfectly fine. When properly setup the RF out on the 722 works well. No it's not HD but it's not grainy snowy analog either.

Plus, not everyone needs or wants Hoppers and Joeys. I'm stingy and would rather spend that extra $60 a year on something else than a Hopper/Joey when a 722 and 211 or 2 211's will work just as well. I've been tempted to upgrade, but the crap on paytv just isn't worth it anymore and the constant fees for everything is getting out of hand too. More than likely the 722 or the 211 will be deactivated soon. I really only need 1 receiver to watch sports and 2 or 3 cable shows.
I hear you. I'm stingy too. I used a 722 and 211 for a long time, mainly to avoid the extra fees. When I eventually switch to a Hopper (no Joeys), I felt it was well worth a few extra bucks for the picture quality and capacity. I ultimately solved the fee issue by dropping Dish altogether.

You might want to open up your choice of receivers, 722K and 211K are going to be remanufactured receivers. Both are years out of production, 211Z and Hopper with sling are probably the only new receivers in DISH's lineup. Depending on what you want to accomplish 2 VIP 612s could be a better deal that is a receiver with built in hard drive 2 satellite tuners and one OTA tuner with a single TV output.

Also 2, 211Z receivers with external hard drives converting it to a DVR (one time $40 fee per account) could satisfy your needs.

I wouldn't be too concerned about those receivers just yet. They are still the most common receivers in people's homes right now. The 211 receiver isn't going anywhere since they still use it for commercial accounts and RV accounts.

One more question. Please excuse the dumb question but I've had cable for 20+ years. I've read on here that the signal off the 129 bird is kinda weak and that's where my HD locals are(Tri-Cities,TN zip code 37745). Is the numbers from that satellite better than it used to be?

I haven't had any issues on that satellite, that I didn't have on 110/119 also. Difference, I guess, is I am in Az.

It sucks that you still have to watch an SD tv ;)
SDTV on a CRT looks ALOT better than on a LCD/Plasma display. At least to me. Sometimes, I wish I still had a good old tube TV around for occasions when I must watch something that is SD only.

One more question. Please excuse the dumb question but I've had cable for 20+ years. I've read on here that the signal off the 129 bird is kinda weak and that's where my HD locals are(Tri-Cities,TN zip code 37745). Is the numbers from that satellite better than it used to be?
That bird should come in as well in Eastern TN as it does here in North AL. You can get good signal strength here at 129 now since Ceil 2 was launched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts