Equipment Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

btb79

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I have been a Dish customer for over ten years. The latest issue with the Big10 network is the last straw and I'm seriously thinking about switching to DIRECTV. I have a few questions about what equipment would be right for us.

Currently have a VIP622 DVR on main TV upstairs and a VIP612 DVR in the basement. Both TV's need HD. We also want to add an HD TV in our bedroom. We like the idea of being able to watch a recording on any TV, especially being able to start watching on one TV and continuing on a different TV.

What equipment would you suggest for our house?

Thanks.

How much stuff do you record? If you don't record a lot, get an HDDVR and 2 HD receivers, which is pretty much free with the current promo, and everything is HD and everything can play off that one DVR.

If you record lots, get the 5 tuner Home Media Center for $99 and a couple HD receivers. It records 5 things at once, has double the hard drive storage (1tb) and is a good deal at $99, plus the HD receivers are free.

The whole-home DVR feature lets you play any recording on any receiver.

If you use lots of TVs at a time, you'd want the HMC, it can send recordings to three receivers at once. The HD-DVR sends to only one receiver at a time.

So can I get the whole home DVR without the Home Media Center? How many tuners does the HD-DVR have? We record quite a bit, but I don't think we need 5 tuners. Can I get two HD-DVRs and one HD receiver or would I be better off with the Home Media Center. We would like to be able to send recording to more than one receiver at a time.

Thanks.

All dvrs have two tuners, except the HR34 that has 5.

Regular DVRs can only send a single WHDVR stream, i.e. a single program to a single receiver. The HR34 HMC can send three. Of course, the receivers each have their own tuner also, to watch live programming.
So if you want to watch recordings on all the receivers, the Hr34 is much the better choice than a single DVR.
two HD DVRs and one receiver will allow you to stream one recording from each DVR simultaneously so that's a good solution also.

If you want to be able to simultaneously watch recorded shows on more then 1 TV, definitely go with the HR34 HMC, it will be the same $99 upgrade fee as any other DVR, so why not get it. What base HD boxes you get with it, will be the choice of the guy loading the installer's truck that morning, but it is irrelevant because they will all work the same.

Thank you all for your responses. Pulled the trigger yesterday and went with one HR34 and two HD receivers. Install is scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Now I have some questions about the installation. I want to put the HR34 in the living room upstairs. How many wires do they need to bring to the HR34? I have one coax jack behind the TV upstairs, is this enough? Do they need to pull a second wire/coax from the HR34 to each of the HD receivers or is it all done with a single coax? If the existing coax either isn't enough or isn't RG6 will they pull a new coax are part of the standard installation?

I still have the DISH Network dish sitting on the roof, will they put the DIRECTV dish right next to it? Will they try or should I let them use the same cables?

Any other warnings or suggestions about the installation?

Thanks again for all the responses.

You will only have to have one cable coming to the HR-34 and to the two H25 (probably they will bring H25's), they will be able to access the HR34 over the Whole Home via the one coax. They will probably use the existing wiring if it is in good shape.

Thank you all for your responses. Pulled the trigger yesterday and went with one HR34 and two HD receivers. Install is scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Now I have some questions about the installation. I want to put the HR34 in the living room upstairs. How many wires do they need to bring to the HR34? I have one coax jack behind the TV upstairs, is this enough? Do they need to pull a second wire/coax from the HR34 to each of the HD receivers or is it all done with a single coax? If the existing coax either isn't enough or isn't RG6 will they pull a new coax are part of the standard installation?

I still have the DISH Network dish sitting on the roof, will they put the DIRECTV dish right next to it? Will they try or should I let them use the same cables?

Any other warnings or suggestions about the installation?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Dish and Direct use different mounts if the line of site is ok they will probably just put the new dish right next to your old one. If the cable is RG-6 and in good shape they will probably just use what you have. RG-59 should not be used. You only need 1 wire at each location for SWM setups. Standard install covers new wires if you need it, but it does not cover wall fishes.

Pull out all TV stands so the tech can get to things. Try to put animals away, some techs don't like them in the way. Move things out of the way down in the basement if that is where all your wires connect. Just try to give the tech space to work.

Install yesterday went great. The technician even took down the Dish Network satellite and put the new satellite on the existing mast. He installed the HR34 upstairs in the living room, one H25 in the basement, and one H25 in the master bedroom. Used existing coax running through the house. I had my Dish receiver hooked up to the internet via ethernet and the technician knew not to hook up the Ethernet to the HR34. Instead he installed something in the basement (Cinema Kit?) right next to my router. So far I am very impressed with the system.

I also have referred two new customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)