Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Here are some pictures of screen grabs. Mostly Equity but some Canadian ones added. I have more :D

First one is KWWF right after Equity bought them. They were just showing wrestling and paid programs. They hadn’t become UPN yet. They did on 9/13

Second one is WNYI when it was Lick TV (now its Univision)

Third one is WBMM when it was PAX (now Daystar)

Fourth one is WBIF when it was Lick TV (now UPN 51)

Fifth one is KWBS when it was just an independent (actually it was like Lick TV). These call letters are poof gone. Its now KWFT (WB)

Sixth one is CKPR, which is the CBC affiliate in Thunder Bay

Seventh is KUOK when it was an independent/shopping channels. Now Univision

Eighth is WPXS..current

Ninth is WMQF..current

Last one is kinda cool. The NBC in Duluth has a whole bunch of translators, so they list them and show coverage at the top of some hours.

more to come as I gather more :)

Attachments

• IM000379.JPG
    IM000379.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IM000396.JPG
    IM000396.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IM000393.JPG
    IM000393.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IM000392.JPG
    IM000392.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IM000388.JPG
    IM000388.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IM000385.JPG
    IM000385.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IM000384.JPG
    IM000384.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 188
  • IM000382.JPG
    IM000382.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IM000381.JPG
    IM000381.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IM000380.JPG
    IM000380.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 226
Man, good work Iceberg. Very "archiveable" for people like me interested in weird little tech/TV history/trivia stuff like that.

I've got some Canadian ones too. I’ve got one of Alice Cooper doing a spot for CKPR. Pretty funny

“Hi. This is Alice Cooper and happy 50th to CKPR. You better watch that station because I know where you live”

Now to get that RTN one :)

That's cool, but I think I can top that. :D I've got a 15-second clip from 1984 of Jerry Springer, back when he was a newsguy at WLWT NBC 5 in Cincinnati, doing an "Action 5 News Update" during a commercial break. :) He talks about the election, and mentions Walter Mondale.

Look forward to it. Why not use this thread to post everyone's general screengrabs. Mine are mostly from feeds and satellite trucks and the like. I have a few famous faces too. Still fighting my DVD Recorder and software so I don't know when it will be.

Anyone else have any interesting screengrabs?

So basically you are holding the camera in front of the TV and taking a picture of different cards/screens?

This is almost too simple for me too understand...

But it does sound interesting.

questic said:
So basically you are holding the camera in front of the TV and taking a picture of different cards/screens?

This is almost too simple for me too understand...

But it does sound interesting.

no...all of the above I have recorded onto a tape. Last night I took some pictures of the different screen grabs :)

Most come from starting a tape a minute or two early when I want to record a program. I have a few news feed type ones that I don't know where they're from. They say "News 12" as an example

Could do the same with dvr recordings. I will have to go through those and see what I have gotten over the last few months. I always start the recording 3 minutes prior to show as 2500A clock is worse than a free watch from a happy meal.

Iceberg, is the last image in your post showing station coverage areas?

Here is my modest collection of Satellite Truck Logos. Last but not least is from my local affiliate WIVB in Buffalo.

Attachments

• PDVD_006-after.jpg
    PDVD_006-after.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 196
  • PDVD_005-after.jpg
    PDVD_005-after.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 198
  • PDVD_004-after.jpg
    PDVD_004-after.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 193
  • PDVD_003-after.jpg
    PDVD_003-after.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 180
  • PDVD_002-after.jpg
    PDVD_002-after.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 191
  • PDVD_001-after.jpg
    PDVD_001-after.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 190
I think I picked up some sort of terresteral feed the other day.. I was putting an 80cm dish together, and I didnt even aim it yet, and the signal meter was screaming.. I did a blind scan, and it picked up WTNH-TV Color bars.. mind you this was pointed nowhere near the clarke belt.. but much much lower in the sky.. perhaps a teresteral microwave?? or mabey even an uplink? it was in the clear, but I had a hard time keeping it locked.

This was with my Standard LNB, and it was 4:2:0 in the clear DVB-S.. there was a few uplink trucks about a block away in that general direction (I live close to the superior court for my county) some were definately satellite uplinks, some were microwave...

its always cool to find something out of the ordinary tho :yes:

Cool Iceburg!

I thought I was the only one that collected that sort of stuff! I guess we all have that geeky side that enjoys test patterns and quirky TV stuff...like wild feeds, etc.

Due to the overwhelming response (ahem :) ) to my first series of screengrabs, I am compelled to make this second offering entitled, “News Feeds” which includes my comments. Although none of this will be anything new to the “old hands” here, the newbies might enjoy it.

1. APTN (Associated Press Television News) is a service that provides live news feeds to various networks mostly of overseas events. You will often see their material being transmitted after being recorded on digital tape.
2. Those who work in and around satellite news often take the time to personalize their transmissions.
3. Special corporate events are not uncommon on FTA. Here is a screen from a semi-annual employee meeting of Media Works that featured some interesting behind-the-scenes TV stuff.
4. Of course, breaking news is one of the primary reasons FTA users depend on news feeds as in the recent plane crash in Toronto.
5. Another screen from the Toronto crash.
6. No, I have not started my own “Micro-Bud” project! I saw this a couple of times where they had a ten-minute countdown for this feed.
7. “Hardball” is one of the programs you can catch tapings of including pre and post interview banter with guests. "A Block" refers to different segments of the program as divided by commercials.

Attachments

• VImage005.jpg
    VImage005.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 200
  • VImage004-after.jpg
    VImage004-after.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 206
  • VImage003-after.jpg
    VImage003-after.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 197
  • VImage002-after.jpg
    VImage002-after.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 206
  • VImage001-after.jpg
    VImage001-after.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 199
  • VImage000-after.jpg
    VImage000-after.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 165
  • VImage006-after.jpg
    VImage006-after.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 182
Thanks guys. A DVD Recorder is a great tool for an FTA feeds junkie. However, I constantly fight my software (DVD Moviefactory 3). It allegedly will accept DVDs recorded in VR mode right from the recorder but most of the time it doesn't. I had to finalize first to get this stuff to work.

Figured out how to get screengrabs last night:

I have a quad monitor setup in my "home office" so I decided to throw the old WinTV pci card in and send the RF from receiver to one of them. The picture is a lot better than I ever imagined and the abitlity to take screenshots and record live video/audio is great. I am using the first ever version of WinTV card and amazingly the picture is crystal clear with a 50'-60' cable run.
---
I took quite a few screenshots last night of some of the Weather channel feeds. I will upload the pictures of Jim Cantore caught looking at a few "hotties" walking by. Even the crew calls him out on it. I will post when I get home from work. Pretty funny sequence of shots.:bounce

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)