Equity channels sold.....will leave satellite...now gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you got c-band, point at AMC3 for ThisTV. And aim another dish at AMC9 ku for RTV.
Something new will prob come along soon on G18. I'm going to keep scanning it for a few days and see what I can find, that's part of the fun of this hobby.

...this weekend will be the end of the road.

:) I´m very happy seeing the road continues... :rolleyes:

Iceberg said Univision & Telefutura probably remain, and I hope so...

and as he says ... we should enjoy them while they are on G18.:):up

The only remaining stations are passthrough feeds meaning that they can be fed strainght from source to transmitter with no prior capture. The stations that disappeared were all run by automation which requires capture, segmenting, and loading. This is a death rattle.

I dont see how WUMN is a passthrough as there are local commercials on it and also church services from here in Minneapolis

The rest that are still there yes but not WUMN

:)

Iceberg said Univision & Telefutura probably remain, and I hope so...

but probably will be consolidated with the ones on G3 C-Band and probably moved.
How long will they stay on G18? who knows. Probably long enough for affiliates/cable companies to get their setups well set up :)

How often do these people do this?
Is this a common practice? Put something decent out for people then snatch it away in the middle of the night like thieves?

Equity was a unique situation. Once we launched RTN, the goal never appear to be success for Equtiy. It seemed more like the plan was to experiment with the business model, work it out, let the company take the fall for the cost of the learning curve, redistribute assets of value, go under, and start again debt free.

I dont see how WUMN is a passthrough as there are local commercials on it and also church services from here in Minneapolis

The rest that are still there yes but not WUMN

I didn't notice WUMN on that list the first time I read it. That's an oddball. I don't have an FTA setup and the last of my sources inside are gone now. At this point, as far as knowing which stations are and are not live, I am following that from here.

Daystar, Univision, and Telefutura are all network feeds. Uni/Tele are routed through playlists and can either be run 100% as a passthrough or have local spots and paid programming added to them. Daystar has both options as well but, per it's format, is run as a passthrough. As I said, I am not able to view what is airing so I am not sure whether they are continuing to air anything paid or are just trying to satisfy the carriage agreement.

We are gathered here today, to mourn the passing of the channels from Equity of Galaxy 18. They were tragically taken from us on August 15, 2009. For several months, they slowly faded away, until today, when Equity pulled the plug. Gone are the days of THIS TV, and St. Louis Cardinals games on KKYK. Everyone, please bow your heads in a moment of silence, in honor of the passing of the Equity Stations.

Amen.

where did kfdf go

Hi, I lost KFDF now. It was one of the only things I had 123 for.

What is everyone pointing at now.
I will have 97, 101 and 83.
Is there any other english satellites worth tuning a dish to? I just ordered a motor from Sadoun for that channel master I got a few weeks back and hope it will be usefull.

I didn't notice WUMN on that list the first time I read it. That's an oddball. I don't have an FTA setup and the last of my sources inside are gone now. At this point, as far as knowing which stations are and are not live, I am following that from here.
no worries. Its still OTA here in Minneapolis.....all 1000 watts of it :)
Its showing the same thing that the FTA channel has

Well at 8:35Pm 8/15/2009 I checked on G18 and was amazed that they are gone!!!! For my KU system. This/Fox/ and few others I was watching.......GONE.

They're not all gone

Few stations left

Galaxy 18 - TP 1 (Ku) 11720 V 27692
2 KDEV-CA (ABC)
6 KEYU (UNIVSION) AC-3 Audio
7 KAMT (TELEFUTURA) AC-3 Audio

Galaxy 18 - TP 5 (Ku) Uplink .11800 V 26657
1 KUWF (UNIVSION)
4 WUMN (UNIVSION)
6 KQDK (AMGTV)
7 KWKO (UNIVSION)
11 DAYSTAR

edit: Fox? Fox has been gone for a month (7/12/09)....where the heck you been? ;)

Last edited:
Pardon any typos. I'm on my iPhone.

Moved the new dish to 101 and have history, bio & KUIL. Beaumont is not far away. Looks like I need to go buy one of those new tv convertors. Hurricane season just kicked into action and with a vengence. I'm dead in the center of hurricane alley. Three direct hits in four years. Scary stuff.

Don't know yet if KUIL does local news.

Also lost 125 today when I was fiddling with things. Those stupid direcway dishes are really hard to adjust because you skew the entire dish and not just the lnb. I do not like them at all. Other dishes where you skew only the lnb are easy to setup.

Gave up on PBS for tonight. Will try again tomorrow.

What's the best tv convertor to buy that's affordable?

Thanks!

PS to equity: bah on you!

You mentioned Create in another thread. If you can get PBS over the air, they may carry Create. At least two out of the three I'm familiar with do.

This isn't the OTA section, but you might want to go to TV Fool, put in your address, and see what the predicted signal strengths for your area are.

I'm dead in the center of hurricane alley. Three direct hits in four years. Scary stuff.

Only 3 in 4 years!!!! and you consider yourself dead center of hurricane alley? Why is that?, Because you are American?

In Havana they get 3 every year!!! (not major ones though) and yet they do not consider themself to be in the center of anything and the same could also be said about any other city/country in the Caribbean. It would not surprise me if they teach in the US schools that the whole planet acctually turns around the US instead of the Sun, lol.

I do agree with you on one thing though, a hurricane is a Scary stuff. I still remember not been able to sleep all night through several hurricanes/tropical storms since all the windows facing the sea in the front of the house were shaking like they wanted to go flying and also seen neighborgs (and ours also) clay shingles and sometimes part of rooftops flying away.

In regards of Equity the baseball games will be certainly missed but I am still a happy camper since the Spanish channels are still up there. BTW does anyone know if the NHK World TV channel broadcasts the Japannese Pro Baseball games? or is it only on the subscription based NHK World Premium?

You mentioned Create in another thread. If you can get PBS over the air, they may carry Create. At least two out of the three I'm familiar with do.

This isn't the OTA section, but you might want to go to TV Fool, put in your address, and see what the predicted signal strengths for your area are.

PBS doesn't come in here anymore. My parents used to get it from KUHT Houston 100+ miles away using a very large antenna on a 30 foot high pole with a motor so they could turn it around. That was the only PBS station available.

Since all this stupid new digital junk they lost a lot of stations. They can not get anything at all from Houston anymore. My dad says they cut the power down real low on these new digital towers.

The local tv options are pretty crummy. Even the cable tv here is pretty bad. the picture quality on the cable is terrible. My friends have a brand new flat screen and the picture on it from cable (TWC) is like looking through several layers of window screen. You can't even read any text they put on the screen. It's horrible. That's one of the main reasons I refuse to get cable tv. Love their internet, hate their TV..

Only 3 in 4 years!!!! and you consider yourself dead center of hurricane alley? Why is that?, Because you are American?

In Havana they get 3 every year!!! (not major ones though) and yet they do not consider themself to be in the center of anything and the same could also be said about any other city/country in the Caribbean. It would not surprise me if they teach in the US schools that the whole planet acctually turns around the US instead of the Sun, lol.

I do agree with you on one thing though, a hurricane is a Scary stuff. I still remember not been able to sleep all night through several hurricanes/tropical storms since all the windows facing the sea in the front of the house were shaking like they wanted to go flying and also seen neighborgs (and ours also) clay shingles and sometimes part of rooftops flying away.

In regards of Equity the baseball games will be certainly missed but I am still a happy camper since the Spanish channels are still up there. BTW does anyone know if the NHK World TV channel broadcasts the Japannese Pro Baseball games? or is it only on the subscription based NHK World Premium?

Wow, Cuba is sure in the path. I have family in the Caymans and they catch it a lot too.

But by the time the beasts lumber across the Gulf of Mexico they intensify into really bad things. We took a direct hit from Rita, the eye came ashore here as a cat 3. We took a direct hit from Humberto and again from Ike last year. We were on the dirty side of Ike. The Boliver peninsula was razed clean, nothing was spared, it was all cut down. We are just an hour drive south of Boliver and we took a beating for 14 hours. Hurricane for winds beat us up for 14 hours but amazingly we mostly came out ok. We learned a lot from previous storms and they got power restored faster this time.

No matter though, hurricanes are not fun for anyone. And the idiots that like to throw drunken hurricane parties, they will find out the hard way that these things kill people. :(

Since all this stupid new digital junk they lost a lot of stations. They can not get anything at all from Houston anymore. My dad says they cut the power down real low on these new digital towers.

They indeed cut power with digital and that is one advantage, that is, it requieres less power to cover the same area, therefore hidro savings. But in general , most transmitters are still covering at least the same area and in lots of cases they have added more potential viewers.

The issue could be that the new transmitters are probably using UHF frecuencies and maybe your old analogs were VHF and therefore your father is using a VHF antenna , not designed for this UHF higher frecuencies. Also keep in mind you need a new converter box or a digital ATSC tuner or a new TV with a digital tuner built in. the old analog tv does not tune in the new digital channels.

Without more details on your antenna setup I can not comment more, but in general you can still use the same UHF old antenna since they designed everything to still cover the same area.

They indeed cut power with digital and that is one advantage, that is, it requieres less power to cover the same area, therefore hidro savings. But in general , most transmitters are still covering at least the same area and in lots of cases they have added more potential viewers.

The issue could be that the new transmitters are probably using UHF frecuencies and maybe your old analogs were VHF and therefore your father is using a VHF antenna , not designed for this UHF higher frecuencies. Also keep in mind you need a new converter box or a digital ATSC tuner or a new TV with a digital tuner built in. the old analog tv does not tune in the new digital channels.

Without more details on your antenna setup I can not comment more, but in general you can still use the same UHF old antenna since they designed everything to still cover the same area.

They bought a new digital flat screen TV that can do HD. It tunes in the local digital channels just fine. It just won't get the distant channels like it used to before the switch.

The very same TV used to get UHF channels from Houston on their very large antenna but now they are totally unable to get any channels from Houston anymore. They are about 100 miles away, more or less.

They do not like the digital stuff, it is very glitchy, I have seen it and I am very unimpressed. And when the weather gets bad like during a hurricane, there will be no TV at all. With the old TV before, you could get a fuzzy picture from other cities, that was far better than a non-picture. Stupid digital is either great or it's totally off. I would be happy to have a fuzzy staticy picture when a hurricane is blowing through, you know?

Digital stuff is not good.

well on the last part I agree with you , with digital you either get a picture or not but as an engineer I prefer digital over analog any day. well properly configured digital not most of the crap we get here in NA. As an example, I just enjoyed the World Track and Field Championships held during these days in Berlin via Hispasat 30W on Tele Rebelde (live from 8 am to 4pm), the cuban channel (well I had cuban friends over and most did not speak english otherwise I would have switched to the NBC Sports coverage from 2 to 4 pm in HD), but any how, that digital cuban mux is properly using enough bandwith and the SD picture was high quality (kudos to the German Broadcaster on that of course) but my point is , if you try using , Universal Sports (a subchannel of NBC on digital) or some other tv channels via FTA (not the NBC master signals) you will see a lot of macroblocking on sports events. They want to save money rather than give you an optimal service. I do not blame them this is northa america and everyone wants to drive a mercedes benz and those are expensive , lol.

This is all off topic now but digital stuff is actually not only very good but the best you just have not had the opportunity to watch it in its glory.

well on the last part I agree with you , with digital you either get a picture or not but as an engineer I prefer digital over analog any day. well properly configured digital not most of the crap we get here in NA. As an example, I just enjoyed the World Track and Field Championships held during these days in Berlin via Hispasat 30W on Tele Rebelde (live from 8 am to 4pm), the cuban channel (well I had cuban friends over and most did not speak english otherwise I would have switched to the NBC Sports coverage from 2 to 4 pm in HD), but any how, that digital cuban mux is properly using enough bandwith and the SD picture was high quality (kudos to the German Broadcaster on that of course) but my point is , if you try using , Universal Sports (a subchannel of NBC on digital) or some other tv channels via FTA (not the NBC master signals) you will see a lot of macroblocking on sports events. They want to save money rather than give you an optimal service. I do not blame them this is northa america and everyone wants to drive a mercedes benz and those are expensive , lol.

This is all off topic now but digital stuff is actually not only very good but the best you just have not had the opportunity to watch it in its glory.

I think the picture on digital is pretty bad. I am a tetrachromat and the color palate of digital tv is pretty lacking. Even computers are pretty sad. I can't believe that in the year 2009 they still only allow a color palate of 32,000 colors (on a computer). I suspect that the new digital tv is a small fraction of that, maybe only a few thousand colors at best.

One of the things that annoys me to no end is to go to someone's house and see bright orange people on their tv sets. I always beg them to please let me adjust their colors for them.

Just going to the store and seeing a wall of tv sets or computer monitors all displaying the same image is a technocolor nightmare for me because not one of them will have the same colors. Even two displays of the same make and model will have greatly different colors, in my eyes.

While being a tetra can be a nightmare, it can also be a blessing but only in the real world where nature controls color and man has no say so or control.

I guess I will just have to bite my tongue and live with the limitations of technology. Maybe one day in the distant future they will get it right.

oh oh, sorry, I am off topic..

I get "Create" OTA but it's available on DCII and FTA also. These are Nebsat feeds (NETV - Nebraska Educational TV - a PBS "affiliate".

Well another few hours in the sun and mosquitoes and I've recovered PBS.
I moved dishes around to other poles to make better sense (to me) and readjusted them all. I now have full signal and quality strength on all satellites.
I'm now getting:
129 - White Springs
125 - PBS stuff
119 - nasa
101 - hist, bio, KUIL
83 - RTV

I will never forgive Equity for robbing me of Patty Duke, Mr. Ed, Sea Hunt (hunky star) and The Outer Limits. :mad:

I will probably add 97 back into it by sticking an extra lnb onto the side of the 101 dish but I'm going to take a few days off from it all. I've had more than enough fun in the sun for awhile. Sunlight messes up my lovely moontan you know.. :cool:

I'm afraid to say this but I think I'm getting the hang of this stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts