Ergen: Narrowband Net Will Be 'Big Dish' IoT Play; 5G to Follow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is the first I'm hearing about this costing money. I don't use my big dishes much anymore and I ain't paying.

Reactions: pattykay
This is the first I'm hearing about this. I don't use my big dishes much anymore and I ain't paying.
Is this only for BUD owners, or do the new frequencies affect the really huge dish's the broadcasters traditionally use?

If it's just the home TVRO market, it's time has passed. Concepts like imminent domain means you have no recourse but to accept whatever compensation is offered. Like the "free" converter boxes passed out when we went from NTSC to ATSC.

Reactions: pattykay
Is this only for BUD owners, or do the new frequencies affect the really huge dish's the broadcasters traditionally use?

If it's just the home TVRO market, it's time has passed. Concepts like imminent domain means you have no recourse but to accept whatever compensation is offered. Like the "free" converter boxes passed out when we went from NTSC to ATSC.

Apparently it's everything C Band as SES is not happy about it.

The FCC is after part of the active C-band spectrum to sell to wireless broadband providers. Many broadcasters and engineers are voicing their concerns.

This would have far-reaching implications, even to Dish Network and Directv and many cable headends who still receive some (all?) of their raw station feeds from C-band.

Reactions: TheKrell
The FCC is after part of the active C-band spectrum to sell to wireless broadband providers. Many broadcasters and engineers are voicing their concerns.

This would have far-reaching implications, even to Dish Network and Directv and many cable headends who still receive some (all?) of their raw station feeds from C-band.
I don't think Charlie believes that it would interfere with current signals. I can't see him promoting a future thing over his sure thing.

I don't think Charlie believes that it would interfere with current signals. I can't see him promoting a future thing over his sure thing.

Read the thread that was posted earlier, C Band Dish Registration and also the comments on the filing here: ECFS

While Dish may not have filed any comments (yet), the video carriers and distributors are represented there, including SES, Intelsat, Comcast, the NAB, Verizon and more.

SES and Intelsat believe they can free up 100 MHz of spectrum over an 18-36 month period if they have to, but they say any more than that will be costly and damaging:

"100 MHz clearing target for terrestrial mobile use is what each operator can accomplish reasonably within 18-36 months following a final Commission order, while ensuring the continued availability of highly reliable service to existing video customers. The ability to clear additional spectrum in the future beyond that amount, while still maintaining high quality video distribution and other services to customers, would be substantially more expensive and time consuming."

Isn't the FCC waiving the C-band registration if you have the registration in by 'x' date (I think sometime in June or July)? If so, how can you qualify it as a money grab?

Believe me, there's no waiver of any kind. If one wants to register, the FCC fee is nearly $500. I might add that normal human beings can't wade through all the BS on the forms, including FRN's, degree locations, dish gain, etc...so engineering firms are being hired to handle the filing at additional fees. Yes, it's a money grab for the FCC. The only "waiver is of a procedure called the "frequency coordination" to see if there's anything in the area now vs. what you take-in which could be affected, and the BS about that one, is that while they're waiving that procedure and fee for filing, they're NOT guaranteeing that they won't ask us to do it later after the waiver is expired by the first filing deadline.

My stations have decided NOT to pay the FCC for this. I normally would do what seems logical, but this one is not logical, fair, nor well thought through. Just heard from CBS radio that they are preparing their statement for the FCC, but they encourage stations to file. I told CBS that should a 5g tower be put up blocking our CBS we'll just consider our contract with them over. Again: the FCC is NOT guaranteeing that registration will help alleviate grievances between parties IF THEY, THE FCC ALLOW THE FREQUENCIES TO BE SHARED.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)