Ergen: Narrowband Net Will Be 'Big Dish' IoT Play; 5G to Follow

be careful, I used to challenge things that guy said about Dish all the time and moderator threaten to ban me. he has a lot of pull on this fourm
That is untrue. You have exactly 10 posts on this forum, and 9 of them are telling Claude in some form to get out of the dish forum or go away.

I am the moderator that sent you the PM, and in no way were you threatened with a banning at that time. You were asked to stop violating forum rules and attacking a fellow member. It seems that a year later, you still pop in to do the same exact thing ever 5 months or so. Since politely and privately asking you did not work last time, consider this your final warning.

So the co-op is running fiber. What ever happened to that prospect of powerline internet that some were talking about a few years ago? I would have thought if it were doable it would have been far cheaper than running fiber.

FYI, if your interested,

Here is a couple of articles about BPL and its shutdown in 2012

IBEC Shutdown Deals Latest Blow to BPL

IBM and IBEC Initiate Broadband Access to 200,000 Rural Americans

High-speed Internet coming to rural area

Also, here’s a link to our co-op’s project

www.freedomfiber.com

www.tombigbee.net

Reactions: Tampa8
Don't get too excited about "5G" yet...that's a big part of what's being debated by the FCC right now. (Part of) the bandwidth the terrestrial builders/licensees want has to come from C-band satellite use, which affects every existing TV station, Radio station, and private large dish owner. The towers proposed can interfere with the dish use, causing outages of service to licensed broadcasters. We're fighting it right now under docket 18-122 and a few others with the FCC as an industry as we speak. Cable head-ends could be affected, local TV, and local radio...any broadcaster that uses C-band to gather programming for broadcast. I seldom post in this forum, having no interest in small dish at all...but now, anything "5G" gets me reading and looking. Been an interesting thread so far (for the most part.) Read some of the comments about the issue here.

Don't get too excited about "5G" yet...that's a big part of what's being debated by the FCC right now. (Part of) the bandwidth the terrestrial builders/licensees want has to come from C-band satellite use, which affects every existing TV station, Radio station, and private large dish owner. The towers proposed can interfere with the dish use, causing outages of service to licensed broadcasters. We're fighting it right now under docket 18-122 and a few others with the FCC as an industry as we speak. Cable head-ends could be affected, local TV, and local radio...any broadcaster that uses C-band to gather programming for broadcast. I seldom post in this forum, having no interest in small dish at all...but now, anything "5G" gets me reading and looking. Been an interesting thread so far (for the most part.) Read some of the comments about the issue here.

Can you sue for damages if there is interference or are you out in the cold if they get the permits ?

Nope. Supposedly if our dishes are registered with the FCC, they'll intervene to help. Yeah, right. A signal goes on the air, blocks CBS and how long do I have to go without the service, still monetarily responsible to a network while the FCC fights it for us? It ain't gonna happen. If we get blocked out by terrestrial, we'll just drop the news, and as it happens nationwide, more and more broadcasters will cut services to the public.

Its the first time I personally think the FCC is looking for a money grab from broadcasters. Completely one-sided. THEY get to decide if the C-band is used for other purposes and grant licenses in that case which may interfere with us....AND...right now, they're asking us to register our dishes "so they know how many are in use."...yeah, right. At $500 per location (rounded)...the FCC grabs tons of money, with no guarantee they'll help us out if a conflict starts. I've put allot of faith in decisions the FCC has made regarding terrestrial radio in the last 14 years, but...this one takes the cake in absolute FCC stupidity, unfairness, and smells to high heaven of "we need money, how can we get it?"

I was going to register us, since CBS comes through the dish, I chose not-to. I'd rather pressure CBS to take a stand as a network and tell the FCC to knock off playing with fire. I did, however file a comment against the use of C-band for terrestrial use as have some other broadcasters, cable associations, and networks.

That is untrue. You have exactly 10 posts on this forum, and 9 of them are telling Claude in some form to get out of the dish forum or go away.

I am the moderator that sent you the PM, and in no way were you threatened with a banning at that time. You were asked to stop violating forum rules and attacking a fellow member. It seems that a year later, you still pop in to do the same exact thing ever 5 months or so. Since politely and privately asking you did not work last time, consider this your final warning.
Yep, rudely and publicly is always the way to go! ;) :thumbup

Isn’t AT&T’s “experimental” version wireless? I think they’re mounting small antennas on power poles and the antenna is supposed to draw power from it. Supposedly they’re supposed to be able to get gigabit speeds, but I doubt it in real life. I would think the electric lines would interfere with the wireless signal.

From what I've read it's some sort of voodoo involving using the power lines as microwave waveguides or something. (Surface waves?) The power lines shouldn't be generating interference at that high of a frequency unless you've got a full-on arc going.

From what I've read it's some sort of voodoo involving using the power lines as microwave waveguides or something. (Surface waves?) The power lines shouldn't be generating interference at that high of a frequency unless you've got a full-on arc going.

Maybe it will work better than BPL. Who knows. Bad thing is, I think now, rather than years ago (Bell Labs days) AT&T just comes out with “experiments” and tests them in a few areas to get government money that’s ‘supposed’ to be used in rural areas and ends up giving their rural areas crap and use the grant money elsewhere.

Reactions: TheKrell
Exactly!

The fact of the matter is he has roughly 18 months before 2020. That’s not really lots of time to do anything except roll out a test market or 2.

This should have all been done 6 years ago, Dish should have had their wireless rolled out by 2012.
That is all he needs to meet the first deadline; The FCC set a very low threshold.. Had he foolishly built out on your time frame he would have an old legacy network with no 5G because Ergen's plan was never really to be a Verizon or other traditional wireless company with consumers with smartphones, but to enter the coming massive needs of IOT and driverless vehicles and TV everywhere, and latet high speed ISP services and with much lower risk and greater chance of success and higher profit than entering the far more competitive and expensive smartphone wireless as a new entrant. And if someone offers him enough money for whatever he has, he'd be silly NOT to sell.

Its the first time I personally think the FCC is looking for a money grab from broadcasters. Completely one-sided. THEY get to decide if the C-band is used for other purposes and grant licenses in that case which may interfere with us....AND...right now, they're asking us to register our dishes "so they know how many are in use."...yeah, right. At $500 per location (rounded)...the FCC grabs tons of money, with no guarantee they'll help us out if a conflict starts. I've put allot of faith in decisions the FCC has made regarding terrestrial radio in the last 14 years, but...this one takes the cake in absolute FCC stupidity, unfairness, and smells to high heaven of "we need money, how can we get it?"
Isn't the FCC waiving the C-band registration if you have the registration in by 'x' date (I think sometime in June or July)? If so, how can you qualify it as a money grab?

be careful, I used to challenge things that guy said about Dish all the time and moderator threaten to ban me. he has a lot of pull on this fourm

"That guy" is a huge asset here. He doesn't personally attack posters he has had bad business dealings with DISH in his opinion. It isn't "pull" he is following forum rules and contributing and it would appear you are not following forum rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)